Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Found a way to make a lot of money fast!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > X2 / X3

Author Thread
NidPuterGuy
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Found a way to make a lot of money fast!

But it's not reliable or easy.. If you get a Perseus M3 you can destroy a Kaak cluster before it can deploy if you have 3 Beta PSGs. If you stop firing before destroying the M3 you can cap it sometimes with weapons intact. Each Kaak M3 weapon goes for for around 1.6 million. It has THREE of them! Hard part is finding the clusters. I'm setting up nav sats around my central home sector and in the Ore Base sector to watch for them. Then scramble my Perseus to engage! Is the plan..
Post Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:37 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Yep. It's a bug.. you're not supposed to be able to capture Khaak until your combat rank is really high. Once your combat rank is at the level it needs to be you've played so much that a few million is nothing... a drop in the bucket.

Recently I captured one with three beams installed. I used it to destroy the universe basically. early Khaak captures makes the game less interesting.... you can make good money capturing pirates.

But yeah... those babies do salvage for a LOT

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Sun Jul 10, 2005 3:17 pm
NidPuterGuy
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Capturing Kaak

Got another one. Had to work my arse off to get it though. Saved with salvage insurance and kept practicing the run until I got the M3. I don't mind jump starting my game. Only using the money to buy some factories so it gets me up and running faster. Last game I was scraping pennies to outfit my Ody completely. Want to be able to create a real fleet this time.
Post Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:48 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Why not just use your last game to create a fleet?

I started again last night because I wanted to play a minimal asset game - no factories to clutter things up. Not even doing remote trading, really... all credits come from the active player ship (note that once I have a TL this will include remote deployment of a trade fleet while I'm in the command chair of the TL, of course. ).

Slow going. Been playing maybe three hours and have a M4 completely decked out with 5k shields, twin ion blasters, twin GPAC, and maximum extensions. Capturing/piracy is my only real source of income, though, because there are few M4 specific missions. I've bagged a nova or three but not have been in any condition to bother salvaging. Nova are viscious little creatures to rustle... you don't appreciate how fast they can turn until you try bagging one in a M4. One solid pass and it's goodbye Mako... a glancing hit will take off most of the 10k shields

Mainly I've been targetting transports until I can get a solid M3 (bagging Orinocco like crazy. Nice enough money but they tend to explode over bail. I play a 'tough luck' approach to capturing: They get until their hull hits 0 to surrender. No dancing around waiting for their shields to recharge. Capture maybe 1/10 with that approach but it's less time consuming.). The Boron aren't happy. One poor trader has had to eject his cargo on three seperate occassions (ships stay red forever so I can tell who I've hit before). His boss at the factory he's trying to get the BoGas back to can't be impressed.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

Post Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:00 pm
NidPuterGuy
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Last game

My last game fell prey to format c: LOL! Thought that backing up the .sav files would do the trick. Nope. Should have backed up the whole game directory. That might have worked. Must be some other files. Taking a Nova in a M4 would be dicey business at best. Rear turret would be tough to beat and the front is no good. Capping Orinocos isn't as bad. Get behind and hang in there. I couldn't cap a TS to save my life in a M4. The rear turrets just chew me up. Kaak just smoked one of my TS's. Those clusters are dangerous if you don't have a M6. In my Perseus I can smoke them with BPSG's if I can get them before they scatter. Can't wait for the next game from these guys. Hopefully they have more bulletin board missions and other misc missions to do.
Post Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:29 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

It's a little tricky when you only have 2k shields, sure... those transports will chew that up in two or three hits, tops. Still, it's more than possible... I captured my way up to the point where I could afford 2x5k shields instead (about 100k... two or three solid captures). After you have 10k shields you can take a few hits from a transport. Their back turret isn't 'ignorable' like it is in a heavy fighter with full shields... but it does take at least 5 seconds of sustained fire to kill you.

If you're in sustained fire for more than 5 seconds ... well... you're not meant to pilot a M4. No shame in that: They suck. I'd much rather have an M3.

Which I do, now. I caught a full-shield orrinoco and transferred my weapons to it and ran out and caught a Nova. The most beautiful Nova I have ever captured: It had 85% hull and full shields and even a few engine tunings left!

I was so grateful to the pilot I let her fly in her spacesuit into the closest station.

Well, critical mass was achieved with the snagging of my precious nova. Without pause I went on a massive capturing spree, bagging 12 transports and 5 m3s over the next hour or so. Probably take a shot at capturing something running capital ship weapons next. Nothing says 'M6' faster than pirated M2 weapon systems.

Not that I want an M6... cumbersome beasts good only for battling Khaak and Xenon. I'm saving for a 30 hanger Split TL.

Post Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:02 pm
NidPuterGuy
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Capping a M2

Nice job on that Nova. Are you going to try and cap a M2 next? That would be impressive! Whose ships are you capping? Argon? I've only been capping Kaak and Pirates and blown up a few Xenon. I need an M6 pretty soon. Once a Kaak cluster scatters I have to stay back or they thrash my Perseus fast. Lost a TS in Paranid Prime of all places. Was doing some Seta while cooking dinner, lol.
Post Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:01 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Even my 'advanced' game character doesn't have the combat rank needed to capture Xenon cruisers. People with ace of ace level x and X-Treme are.. well... I don't know how they do it.

(Well, I do. Take a fully loaded Odyssey with shockwave cannons into a Khaak or Xenon sector and sit there for a few days. BoooooooRRRRRing! I rarely use shockwave cannons for anything more than capturing ... and even then I still rarely use them. I avoid the Osprey, Nemesis, and Perseus to remove temptation. The Osprey, in particular, is far too godly to have a place in the game.)

No, next is the split Elephant... so I can dock captures for rapid delivery to a dockyard. Waiting for a 50% hull transport to limp two sectors to a shipyard eats into profit over time.

As for who I cap... well... the Boron face my wrath a lot (they don't have anything for sale that isn't available from another race. On the flip side they have a lot of useful extensions in one place. Some people raid the Split... and I can see that. I'd love to. Sadly, I need their Gamma HEPTs for M6.). Argon... I try and capture novas whenever I see one, but I make sure I don't lose docking rights. They have a lot of 125MW shield factories in their territory, which is critical for outfitting capital ships. The pirate base in the sector south of Home of Light is my favorite rep building place for Argon. I just make sure I get a license first so I get 500 to 5000 credits a kill.

Post Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:00 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

I freely admit to intense jealousy for those of you graced with pilot skills. While the life of a builder/trader suits my personality, I occasionally long to go on mad capping sprees like the big boys.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:27 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Once you get a fully shielded Nova with an ion cannon and an alpha IRE ... it's not about skill it's just about time.

Seriously, if you want to go on a capping spree ... do it. A transport CANNOT hurt a full shielded nova. The best it can do is pound the shields down 25% or so... at which point you just move out of the way for a few seconds until you're full up again.

For that matter, a Nova really has to work hard at it to get killed by an Orinocco. The only thing that can shred a Nova in a few seconds flat is a Khaak M3. Well, the only thing in it's weight category... M6 and up can flatten a Nova in seconds, of course (though I have no problems taking an M6 in a Nova with twin BHEPT it takes some time. Using an Ion cannon and a BHEPT solves that nicely.)

Post Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:50 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Yes, even I can manage a capture or two with a loaded Nova. I'm referring to having the mad skilz required to even consider combat in an M5 or M4. By the time I've got a fully kitted Nova (and granted, I seem to dump my money into traders and factories so I'd be much deeper into the game at that point that y'all), capping sprees aren't as profitable. With a few million in the bank, getting 30k for a "scratch and dent" capped TS just isn't a huge conquest.

And never let it be said that dte is a slacker--just because it takes hard work to lose to an Orinocco is no deterrent to me!
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:48 pm
NidPuterGuy
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Capping..

You just have to choose your targets wisely. If the target has a back turret your going to need decent shields. If if doesn't stay on it's hiney. I just capped a Kaak M3 in a Scorpion. Then got greedy and went for another. It burned me down before I could get a shot in. I agree the money isn't there unless you can cap a Kaak M3 with some lasers still on it. Then it's pay dirt time. An Orinoco isn't bad, 2-300K but takes so dang much patience. Kinda sux, I just got done building a warhead factory and supporting factories in Paranid Prime but I'm not getting any sales at a reasonable price. As soon as I get a M6 I'm going to have to remove some competition. Or build a missile factory.. : )
Post Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:32 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Well, in my non-pirate exclusive game my factories churn in about 1 million a game hour... perhaps a little more. An assassination mission gets me 1.4 mil easy.

The factories were great to make sure I had enough money for toys until my combat rank got that high, though.

Post Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:02 pm