Members
Usergroups
RPGDot Feature: Rekonstruction Interview
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Garrett

RPGDot Feature: Rekonstruction Interview

We had the chance to put <a href="http://www.rpgdot.com/index.php?hsaction=10053&ID=527">several questions</a> to Chris DiBona from Damage Studios about their upcoming MMORPG Rekonstruction:<blockquote><em>RPGDot: Could three newbies gang together and kill a maximum level character? (In EQ, and many other level treadmill games it is impossible). <br>Chris DiBona: Within reason, a group of lower level characters can kill higher level characters. However the good thing about being a higher level is that you can concentrate your combat on players of similar level and complexity. For me, fighting lower level players isn't as fun as fighting an equal, since they simply don't have the same level of experience with the game. To return to your question, three newbies will not be able to kill a maximum level character any more than a bunch of third graders could hurt an NFL linebacker. /em></blockquote>
Post Tue Feb 25, 2003 1:58 am
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

This guy is ambiguous, unclear, and speaks a form of ancient Greek. What the hell does "organic nature of the game" mean and why would i even care? I'd much rather play games like Warhammer Online and Middle Earth Online at that time (2 years from now) than play somebody's social experiment. I do realize that its too early to draw conclusions about this game but at the least the guy could communicate to us what the hell this game is about. So far from this interview i have learned NOTHING about this game Rekunstruction except that it will have features that EVERY OTHER 2003 MMORPG ALREADY HAS RIGHT NOW OR SOON ENOUGH. So why should i care about a game that is described in ambiguous terms. Bleh.
Post Tue Feb 25, 2003 1:58 am
Chrisbeddoes

translation from geekish to english needed.

quote:
Originally posted by Ammon777
This guy is ambiguous, unclear, and speaks a form of ancient Greek. What the hell does "organic nature of the game" mean and why would i even care? I'd much rather play games like Warhammer Online and Middle Earth Online at that time (2 years from now) than play somebody's social experiment. I do realize that its too early to draw conclusions about this game but at the least the guy could communicate to us what the hell this game is about. So far from this interview i have learned NOTHING about this game Rekunstruction except that it will have features that EVERY OTHER 2003 MMORPG ALREADY HAS RIGHT NOW OR SOON ENOUGH. So why should i care about a game that is described in ambiguous terms. Bleh.

These guys are former slashdot staff.
Reading slashdot for more than a year could help you understand them .
I could translate lots of staff from geekish to english but i don't have the time right now.
Post Tue Feb 25, 2003 2:19 am

cdibona
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Well, sorta....and a response.

Hi, so first off, I'm the only person who is from Slashdot and co-founded Damage, no other ex-slashdot people work here. (just thought I'd clarify that) As to the first post, yes, some things are ambiguous, and others I probably haven't gone into enough detail. I'd suggest you join our mailing list at if you'd like to know more as we release it. We'll be doing more interviews as time goes on and releasing more information about the game as well. I assure you that it is no more a social experiment than any other MMOG out there, it's a game, first and foremost.

As to backstory, next month is when we start presenting that to the public.

Chris
Post Tue Feb 25, 2003 2:34 am
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

Well that sounds reasonable. Sorry for my misunderstanding. Anyway, i will probably join your mail list and really see what you guys are up to. If your game does have some really cool features that advance the genre then i will be glad to play it.

EDIT -- I just signed up for your mailing list. I have a question though, is this game Rekunstruction fantasy based, science fiction (cyberpunk, advanced tech, ect), or is it more real-world based (such as Half-Life or something)? Thanks.
Post Tue Feb 25, 2003 4:30 am
cdibona
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

More...

Thanks for the second chance :-) Rekonstruction is set on earth 400 years in the future. It's no so much cyberpunk, but it is science fiction for sure.

Chris
Post Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:58 pm

What happened to this story? Nothing shows up for me when I click the link to view the whole thing.
Post Fri Mar 21, 2003 2:05 am

Myrthos
Spoiler of All Fun
Spoiler of All Fun

The interview has been cancelled. A new one will be up shortly.
...you won't have to unbookmark this site, we'll unbookmark you. - Val
Reports Myrthos for making me scared and humbled at the mere sight of his name - kayla
Post Fri Mar 21, 2003 7:10 pm