Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
I HAVE NWN! ....too bad i can't play it...
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Neverwinter Nights - General

Author Thread
TheLonePaladin
Mighty Warrior
Mighty Warrior

I HAVE NWN! ....too bad i can't play it...

ok i'm not sure if this should go here or in the dungeons and dragons forum so i'll leave it up to the mods to move it if need be...

#1 I HAVE IT YYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

#2 so i bought NWN before i left to go camping, and barely got a chance to install it before i got shoved out the door. upon my return, i sat down and started playing. i noticed some sound glitches, and the mouse pointer icon thingy flickered, but i figured that that's ok until they release some patches and whatnot. i created my character and was all ready to get started. then came the opening movie. (for the start of chapter 1 or whatever.) it was just...wrong. it had like bars of movie, and some of them were going faster than the others. this concerned me, but i figured it was just a first time bug. but then the machine simply froze after the loading box filled up. i checked the system requirements and i match up to the recommended stats in everything except my vid card and cpu. the vid card has 32 MB as opposed to the recommended 64 and my CPU is a Pentium II instead of a Pentium III.

i downloaded the latest patch, and my problems remained. so i come to you, my brothers and sisters in Roleplayingdom, with this humble request:

WAAAAAAAHH!!!! WHAT DO I DO?????????
"Though the gates that stand between the mortal world and the immortal Realm of Chaos are now closed to me, still I would rather die having glimpsed eternity than never to have stirred the cold furrow of mortal life.
I embrace death without regret as I embraced life without fear."
Post Sun Jun 23, 2002 9:41 pm
ButtOfMalmsey
Village Idiot
Village Idiot

Well, I think you've managed to diagnose it. Should've waited for WCIII instead (less of a system hog). BTW, there is a NWN forum, you know.

As for what you do, pray really hard for a PIII to grow into your puter over night. I guess. Good luck.

Actually, you should minimize all the frills, bells, and whistles. No sound, 600x400x16 graphics, and what not, then laboriously tweak up from there.

I saw this in a movie about a bus that had to SPEED around a city, keeping its SPEED over fifty, and if its SPEED dropped, it would explode. I think it was called, "The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down."
-Homer Simpson

=Member of the Non-Flamers Guild=
=Member of The Sixth House=
::Captain of the Black Company::

Last edited by ButtOfMalmsey on Sun Jun 23, 2002 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Sun Jun 23, 2002 9:45 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

=Moved to NWM forum. You see, while you were camping we made a forum for it .=
Post Sun Jun 23, 2002 9:45 pm
TheLonePaladin
Mighty Warrior
Mighty Warrior

oh cool. thanx jaz!

BOM, i'm not into WC. i'll stick with NWN thank you very much...
"Though the gates that stand between the mortal world and the immortal Realm of Chaos are now closed to me, still I would rather die having glimpsed eternity than never to have stirred the cold furrow of mortal life.
Post Sun Jun 23, 2002 10:16 pm
SuperCowMan24
Blademaster of the Moo
Blademaster of the Moo

LonePaladin, i hate to break it to you, its just, your computer is not fast enuf to run it at its full potential, like BOM said, tone down the graphics, sounds, EVERYTHING, and MAYBE it will work...

Don't you feel better now?
Post Sun Jun 23, 2002 11:05 pm
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

The simplest solution, is to upgrade your computer. From your specs, it's about time for it anyway. NWN is not available here yet, so you're one up on me.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Mon Jun 24, 2002 12:03 am
TheLonePaladin
Mighty Warrior
Mighty Warrior

hehe my bad. my cpu has a gigaherts on it so its not that . it must be the game, unless a subrequirement vid card can drag it down that much.
Post Mon Jun 24, 2002 1:27 am
ButtOfMalmsey
Village Idiot
Village Idiot

Just do as I suggested. I suspect you will find that you can run it at some tolerable level. And next I would suggest upping system RAM. What OS are you running?

I saw this in a movie about a bus that had to SPEED around a city, keeping its SPEED over fifty, and if its SPEED dropped, it would explode. I think it was called, "The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down."
-Homer Simpson

Post Mon Jun 24, 2002 1:47 am
TheLonePaladin
Mighty Warrior
Mighty Warrior

i got 128 meg ain't that enough?? using windows 98

i reeeaaaallly don't wanna take off all the sounds and the like. that genuinely takes away from the experience.
Post Mon Jun 24, 2002 5:20 am
OhBrandi
The Pun-Slayer
The Pun-Slayer

quote:
Originally posted by TheLonePaladin
i got 128 meg ain't that enough??

I hate to say it, but no. I was quite shocked when I first arrived in the Morrowind forum in my effort to figure out how to make Morrowind work. It seems that the top of the line system I bought 2.5 years ago is now less than average.

Most gaming computers are standard 512MB now, and the upper range of video card STARTS at 64MB. The games that are coming out right now really need the upper level systems to be fully functional. I've upgraded my ram (from 128 to 224 by cannabalizing a couple older pcs) and video card (anyone want an NVidia Riva TNT2 w/ 32MB? ), but I still need more ram and a soundcard that works.

My specs:
PIII 800, Win98SE, 224MB, ATI Radeon 8500 128MB, some pos SoundBlaster (better than the onboard riva chip), all updated drivers and a cable internet connection.

=Member of The Nonflamers' Guild=
=Neverwinter Nights Co-Moderator=
Post Mon Jun 24, 2002 12:14 pm
ButtOfMalmsey
Village Idiot
Village Idiot

quote:
Originally posted by TheLonePaladin
i got 128 meg ain't that enough?? using windows 98

i reeeaaaallly don't wanna take off all the sounds and the like. that genuinely takes away from the experience.

I'm sorry, what experience are we talking about? The experience of not playing the game?

Incidentally, once you take all that away, ramp it up bit by bit to define the limits of your puter's performance. And yeah, I would be playing with 256 MB RAM (I had trouble on my PII with BG2 at 128 MB).

-Homer Simpson

Post Mon Jun 24, 2002 2:13 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

It SOUNDS like a direct x problem or video card driver problem more than anything else. More specifics, please.

What version of Direct X?
What brand of video card? (32 meg cards work just fine, but not all brands are supported)
What brand of sound card?

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Mon Jun 24, 2002 2:49 pm
Gomez The Mad
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Give it up Paladin of Lone, if you want to play this game you will have to buy a better video card. Just say screw it and return it. DOWN WITH NWN!!
No self control, he just lets his emotions go.
~The Definition of a Madman

=Member of the Flamers' Guild=
Post Mon Jun 24, 2002 4:57 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

quote:
Originally posted by Gomez The Mad
Give it up Paladin of Lone, if you want to play this game you will have to buy a better video card. Just say screw it and return it. DOWN WITH NWN!!

Gomez - If I can run this game (albeit slowly) on my dinosaur system, I am sure TLP can He just has to nurse it along a little ....
Post Mon Jun 24, 2002 5:32 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

quote:
Originally posted by OhBrandi
(anyone want an NVidia Riva TNT2 w/ 32MB? )

I'll take it. I could use a spare.
Post Mon Jun 24, 2002 7:25 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next