Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Anyone using a Radeon 8500 with Morrowind? Some questions...
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
SirVincealot
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Some additional choices

The Montreal based company MATROX doth have new silicon to show for 2 years of work. Their PARHELIA chip doth stand a chance of offering a goodly competitor.

As well, 3DLABS' P10 card doth feature some impressive architecture.

Granted, NVIDIA doth have the largest driver development team in the business, which doth help them keep on top of their own chipset. They have successfully amalgamated many a chipset maker's intellectual properties over the last two years, also an ace in their purse.

Video cards are alike to any other device, *personal choice* factors strongly into one's decision to install this or that product in their box. I chose RADEON, in full awareness of the lesser pure rates it doth offer, because the image quality was noticeably better than mine old Nvidia card. 'Tis the same reason I adopted the fantastic product doth called TNT a few years back: 'twas not possible for me to justify the price or poor rendering of the 3dfx product line.

Mine ATI RADEON will be replaced with the Matrox part sometime in the next year. 'Twill be slower than GeForce (or what name it may be called by then) but the DVD quality and full 10bit color DAC doth please me much!

We live in amazing times, who could have predicted the water effects in MORROWIND, only a year ere?! Yet we still waste ungoodly efforts to engage in petty squabbles over this brand or that technology. Shame, that is. We should be smarter than to fall into the marketer' schemes. These evil dwellers-in-muck want us to be at each one another throat alike so much Goblins to push loyalty and sales. Aye, 'tis better to be loyal to one's family, liege or principles than a silly, silly bunch o' transistors!

'Tis most excellent that *choice* be available for us, no?

Fare thee well
SirVincealot
Post Tue May 28, 2002 7:09 pm
Lordr31z
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

I never had any issues with the 3dfx cards so i have to disagree with you on that one. In fact if 3dfx were still going i would own one now.. just my preference but those cards kicked a$$. But your right. Who cares wich is better. Buy the one you like and use it. Check out the 2x aa on your geforce 3 with the new xp drivers. Amazing. I never thought nvidia would be smart enough to accomplish what 3dfx did years ago. Hopefully others will figure it out. Sad really. I think all of the companies that make 3d accellerators today suck A$$, but right now nvidia just happens to be better then the rest.
Post Tue May 28, 2002 9:35 pm
p0rnflake
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Looks like a found the quote needed to end this discussion !

quote:
Doom III is very much hardware driven, and one of the controversies of this year’s E3 was that the game was demonstrated on the latest ATI graphics card rather than a card from NVidia.
“NVidia has been stellar in terms of driver quality and support and doing all of the things right,” says Carmack, who has been an outspoken evangelist for NVidia’s GeForce technology. “For the past few years, they have been able to consistently outplay ATI on every front. The problem is that they are about one-half step out of synch with the hardware generation because they did Xbox instead of focusing everything on their next board. So they are a little bit behind ATI.”
“I told everyone that I was going to demonstrate Doom III on the best hardware, and there has been no collusion or kickbacks or anything like that going on. Our objective is the technical merit.”
“The new ATI card was clearly superior. I don’t want to ding NVidia for anything because NVidia has done everything they possibly could; but in every test we ran, ATI was faster.”

Post Wed May 29, 2002 9:01 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3