View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
ArcturusXIV
City Guard
City Guard

Building a Good Computer for RPGs

Hello all,

I have a dated computer so I can't play Morrowind or basically any of the new games. I'm considering having a custom computer built, costing somewhere between $200 and $750 dollars preferably (I'm on a budget, so the more efficient the part is for the price I have to pay, the better). So what hardware would you guys suggest that I invest in, and what are good sites to buy these parts on?

ArcturusXIV
~AKA~
James B.
"Madness is the first step towards unselfishness. Be mad and tell us what is behind the veil of 'sanity'. The purpose of life is to bring us closer to those secrets, and madness is the only means." --Kahlil Gibran
Post Thu Jan 09, 2003 4:04 pm
NidPuterGuy
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

I'll help you

I reccomend building your own. I know it will seem hard but it is worth it. Start by finding a how to build a puter site on the internet. Go through a couple of them. I'll give you the parts list for your puter. Here it is:

mwave.com
-Gigabyte GA-7VAX VIA KT400 Motherboard
-Athlon XP 1700 Processor, Retail with fan.
-Gainward 64MB GeForce3 TI-200 Video Card, 64MB Ti4200 would be better though.
-Lite-On 48X/24X/48X CDRW
-US Robotics 56K PCI Modem
-MS Natural Keyboard and Optical Mouse

newegg.com
-Maxtor 60GB HD, 7200RPM
-Alps Floppy Drive
-XP Home Edition with Service Pack 1
-Norton AntiVirus 2003
-Antec Plus 660AMG Case

crucial.com
-256MB Crucial DDR 2700 RAM, 512MB would be better but this will work. Non ECC!

Monitors are difficult to choose but I have always like Viewsonic. Try a P95F+ or a P75F+ from Mwave. I have aways skimped on the monitor and wished I hadn't.

This will give you an awesome gaming machine! If you have more money add an Audigy and some nice Altec Lansings from mwave.com, 220, 221 or 251's. Let me know if you have some questions.
Post Fri Jan 10, 2003 4:05 am
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

I would change GeForce for ATI Radeon series card, otherwise this configuration is nice.

However, ArcturusXIV, I'd say - simply look at minimal/recommended system requirements for Morrowind and try your new computer to fit somewhere in between. Or if you have enough money to spend - just go for maximum requirements configuration.
Post Fri Jan 10, 2003 6:33 am
ArcturusXIV
City Guard
City Guard

Better than I'd hoped for!

Thanks guys, this rules. I'm definitely going for a bigger HD this time because my 10 GB filled up incredibly fast. These new games require gigabytes of space to run off the drive...

I wont have to worry about a video card because I just received a Geforce4 MX 440 64Mb. And I have a LiteOn 52X CD burner so I'm not too worried about that...

I'm going to look into getting a DVD ROM drive as well, and enough USB and Firewire ports to keep me covered for external devices such as mice and digital cameras (I'm a graphic artist in training, and I'm just starting into the 3D end of the graphics spectrum).

As far as Radeon vs. Geforce goes, what do you guys recommend. When I upgrade my monitor I want to get a much better video card. I've heard that Geforce has better driver support and is more reliable, but Radeon has far more "bang for the buck" as far as speed. Also, the 9500 Pro supports DirectX9 whereas Ti 4200 doesn't. Does it make all that much difference? I'm somewhat unschooled in judging video cards...
"Madness is the first step towards unselfishness. Be mad and tell us what is behind the veil of 'sanity'. The purpose of life is to bring us closer to those secrets, and madness is the only means." --Kahlil Gibran
Post Fri Jan 10, 2003 5:27 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

If you´re into video editing and stuff you should buy a WD JB series harddisk. They have 8 MB cache instead of 2 MB. Of course they are a bit more expensive.

Your graphics card is still acceptable, so you should simply wait till the last possible moment. The next gen cards are approaching and you´ll get more bang for the buck every week.
NVidia is better for gaming, ATI is better for watching DVDs and has the sharper 2D picture quality in higher resolutions combined with high refresh rates. DirectX9 is irrelevant for at least one more year.
Ask again later.

Buy at least 512MB A-brand memory (chip & module). Don´t try to save money here.
CPU: buy the AMD with the best value for money. Currently this is ~ an XP2100+. 100 MHz more or less don´t really make a difference.
DVD & CDR: Doesn´t really matter. The technology is understood, as long as you don´t want to do really fancy stuff.
Mainboard: read some reviews and choose wisely. You should be able to find a board with USB2.0 and Firewire for less than 100$.
Case: Only important if you want to upgrade later.
Power supply: at least 350 W Enermax. No NoName products!
Keyboard: use your old one. Or try before you buy. Get the one with the best 'feeling'. Good keyboards are hard to find. Even Cherry lowered the product quality.
Mouse: Cordless infrared. Either MS or Logitech. A matter of taste.
Floppy: doesn´t matter.
HDD: Even the cheapest drive will be twice as fast as your old HDD.
Don´t forget to add another internal fan to blow out the warm air. (~10$ Enermax or other brand).
Post Fri Jan 10, 2003 6:00 pm
Jung
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

This is the system I recommend you build to run Morrowind!
http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20021216/index.html

Seriously though, Tom's Hardware is a good resource for custom PC builders.
Post Fri Jan 10, 2003 7:10 pm
NidPuterGuy
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

That machine at toms is nice but!

I thought his budget was below $750! For that your not looking at the hottest platform out there. I agree, keep your video card that you have as it is a decent card. Take a look at the Athlon XP prices at mwave. Choose one that fits your budget. Anything over a 1600 is good. Do the same with the hard drive. Start at 60GB and view prices upward. Until ATI gets a rock solid driver reputation steer clear of them as it doesn't matter how fast your card is if the driver is bad. The 330 watt in that Antec case I told you about is fine. It is their newest power supply line. The watt ratings are really meaningless. You have to read the amps output. Antec and Enermax both make excellent power supplies. Get a black floppy and monitor to go with it! You said you want firewire, that motherboard I recommended doesn't have it. You can look at the Gigabyte mobo's and choose one that does with the KT400 chipset. Or just add an Audigy later as they have a firewire(1394) port on it. Don't skimp on RAM, case or power supply. You will love that Antec case! Read up on static electricity before you assemble it also. If the site tells you to keep the computer plugged in keep looking as that is a no, no!
Post Sat Jan 11, 2003 2:26 am
NidPuterGuy
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Antec cases

Come with an extra exhaust fan in the back. My experience has been that it is enough cooling unless your going to overclock your video card and processor. Watch your case temps and if they seem high add the additional fan.
Post Sat Jan 11, 2003 2:29 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

There were times when RPGs were not so "hardware hungry", but now in times of Morrowind, Gothic... it is on same and maybe even higher level than FPSs.
Post Sat Jan 11, 2003 3:26 pm
New_Maxx
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

As a side hobby, I build custom PC's for a variety of clients. Many of my clients are RPG players, so I have a good feel of what kind of system you need. I would always advise that you construct your own PC; it will give you a sense of achievement. Not only that, but it's generally cheaper, and if anything goes wrong...well, you know exactly who to blame. And of course it offers ultimate versatility in configuration. However, the prices for PC's from many custom builders are quite low these days. Here are some places to check out:

http://www.buy-atlas.com
http://www.worldnetcomputers.com
http://www.velocitymicro.com
http://www.buyxg.com
http://www.abspc.com
http://www.ibuypower.com
http://www.cyberpowerinc.com

You may have to look around to find a more budget-oriented PC from these guys, but they definitely offer you some options. I recently built a PC for my father, for Christmas, and naturally that had to be budget-oriented. However he is into gaming, etc., so it had to be relatively powerful. I've linked my list of parts below so you can take a peek at an inexpensive but effective configuration; I've modified it a bit to reflect your needs:

http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishHistoryReview.asp?position=HISTORY&submit=VIEW&ID=200119

Features--
Nice case; excellent cooling, so you can OC it desired. The RAM will support aggressive timings out of the box, which is nice for a free performance boost. Both ethernet and modem; you may not need both, depending on your needs. You can replace the 56x CD-ROM with a 16x DVD-ROM for about $17 more. You may be able to use your old floppy drive, depending on how it is integrated into your current PC; re-use of the keyboard, mouse, or both is also a possibility. The motherboard is acceptable, but I would advise going for the KT3 Ultra-2 from MSI if you want to bump up its functionality a step. You may also throw in a sound card - either a Live! or an Audigy (1) - if that's key for you. I certainly advise this course of action if you go with the current motherboard - the on-board sound isn't great; however, the MSI's on-board sound is superior. Other items, such as the processor, may be tweaked to fit your budget. Both boards come with USB 2.0 and quad-USB ports; you can add a firewire PCI card, if desired, or go for a firewire-equipped board. In the least, this configuration will give you some ideas.

This PC, minus the monitor, CD-RW, and video card (all of which you already have), may be configured to be anywhere from $500 up.

The largest costs in building a PC: monitor and video card. The 440MX isn't the strongest card around by any measure, although it gets the job done. I would advise getting an Abit Siluro Ti-4200 ($133) for an entry-level video card, however; it's a decent card, supports AGP-8X (not much performance gain, please note), and has a quiet and efficient cooling system. If loudness is truly an issue, the best bet is to remove two of the case fans from the setup I provided; things will still be cool in there.

I hope this information assists you; I registered at the forums to make this post. Good luck.
Post Sun Jan 12, 2003 2:19 pm
ArcturusXIV
City Guard
City Guard

Hrm, I'm liking this, but I'm in a bit over my head. I'm worried about buying components which are incompatible with one another. I'm going to bump this thread once more and hope that I can get the parts for a synergetic, affordable system by the time mid-February rolls around. My parents are extremely adverse to me building my own system, but I think I can do it if I get the correct guidance. Are there any good tutorials with pictures online which will show me how to hook everything up and make sure the parts are compatible?

I'm also looking for a new battery backup. The one I have now can keep my computer running for a few minutes, but it doesn't have enough power to keep my monitor running when I get a power surge.
Post Thu Jan 16, 2003 7:03 pm
ArcturusXIV
City Guard
City Guard

One more thing:

What is a good pair of speakers to buy, and is the Audigy Gamer or MP3+ the better sound card for gaming immersion?
Post Thu Jan 16, 2003 7:06 pm
Jung
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

quote:
Originally posted by ArcturusXIV
Hrm, I'm liking this, but I'm in a bit over my head. I'm worried about buying components which are incompatible with one another. I'm going to bump this thread once more and hope that I can get the parts for a synergetic, affordable system by the time mid-February rolls around. My parents are extremely adverse to me building my own system, but I think I can do it if I get the correct guidance. Are there any good tutorials with pictures online which will show me how to hook everything up and make sure the parts are compatible?

I'm also looking for a new battery backup. The one I have now can keep my computer running for a few minutes, but it doesn't have enough power to keep my monitor running when I get a power surge.

Tutorials:
http://www.maximumpc.com/reprints/reprint_2002-03-13.html
Part1 http://www6.tomshardware.com/howto/20020904/index.html
Part2 http://www6.tomshardware.com/howto/20020918/index.html

Compatibility generaly isn't much of a concern nowadays, especially with name brand components. You do have to buy the correct memory and proc for your motherboard, but that should be listed in the MB manual.

I believe all the Audigy cards are the same, only the bundle is different.

Klipsh and Logitech speakers are ranked best.
Post Thu Jan 16, 2003 7:24 pm
New_Maxx
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Jung hit all the nails on the head, to borrow a cliché.

Both of those guides are excellent. I believe GameSpot also has one, although I refuse to visit them after their aggressive charge campaign.

Compatibility issues usually arise with cheaper or generic components, although that is not always the case (like the old VIA/Creative issues not too far back in the day). Unless you're building a specialized PC (for instance, as an audio engineer looking to use Pro Tools), compatibility shouldn't be a huge issue for you. I do suggest buying relatively decent parts, in any case.

All the Audigy cards except the Platinum are fairly identical, except for the bundle, as Jung stated. However I would advise you go for the Audigy Gamer, although you can save some money by going for the default 'IEEE1394' Audigy model.

Klipsch speakers are the finest gaming speakers I know, but they come at a premium. Altec Lansing and Logitech both offer cheaper, decent speaker systems for your PC. A mid-range 5.1 system will run you about $100, and they generally match the Audigy very well.

You can purchase 'batteries' that will enable your PC to keep running even if the power goes out, etc. I really only use them for my servers, but hey.

I always suggest building your own PC; it's not nearly as hard as most people think. I was forced to rebuild one, a long time ago, without much prior knowledge...and I managed it. But research is helpful; be sure to check the sites Jung listed. Also those custom builders I posted earlier will be a good source, their prices are generally not much higher than you'd pay, but it's all up to you.

Feel free to send me a PM at any time if you have any questions or concerns.
Post Thu Jan 16, 2003 10:18 pm
ArcturusXIV
City Guard
City Guard

Nice, thanks!

Those are great tutorials Jung! Thanks.

And I appreciate the speaker and card suggestions Maxx.

Have either of you ever bought from tigerdirect.com? I find their interface a bit easier to use than newegg.com. Right now they have cases on sale. These are the two I was looking at...are these any good, or is there a better case I should be looking for above these ones?:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/sectors/extremecases/index.asp

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?sku=B452-1020

On an aesthetic level I'm kind of partial to black or charcoal coloured cases...
Post Fri Jan 17, 2003 3:57 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next