FAQ
Members
Usergroups
I finally got my copy, must be one of the first in Australia
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread

I finally got my copy, must be one of the first in Australia

Woo hoo! Now to just find a way to finish work early.
"I don't feel so good".
Post Wed May 08, 2002 3:38 am

Zameir
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Opps

That last post was from me. The cookie must have expired
Post Wed May 08, 2002 3:39 am
Shifter
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Hehe. Congrats, let us know what you think once you get to play it
Post Wed May 08, 2002 3:40 am
Zameir
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Well the music and the figure are pretty cool, got the collectors edition
Post Wed May 08, 2002 3:44 am
Jellyfish

how did you get it???

You suck! You suck! You suck! You suck! You suck!

Just jokes, very jealous... I ordered mine on day of release from www.dvdboxoffice.com (free delivery!) and it didn't ship gfrom Canada till Saturday just gone... Let me know if you have troubles installing it or running it being a US copy would you? Where in Oz are you? I am in Adelaide.

Cheers

Brad
Post Wed May 08, 2002 4:59 am

Zameir
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

My thoughts

Well now that I've had about 5 hours to play here are my thoughts:

* My computer needs upgrading just for this game and I only upgraded 6 months ago. I have an Athlon 1.4, 1gig of SDRAM( got it cheap for about $100 US) ATA100, 7200 Hard drive and a TNT2 (which looks like i'll be upgrading this weekend). The average FPS I get is about 12 and that is with all details turned down and running at 640 x 480, this game is a resource hog like nothing I've seen before. So far this is my only gripe because I have to spend more money on my computer and it may not help much.

* The game is self though is brilliant if you can get it to run, I can live with 640 X 480 and 12 FPS for the moment because I'm having fun even at that resolution.

* The combat is strange, yet after a while you get used to it and like it. It requires strategy and planning to win a lot of fights and the fact that there is no health bar adds to the excitement, for example:

* Spoiler*
The smuggler den in the first city. Being the dumb spellsword I am I run in dagger drawn and promply have my ass handed to me by the first smuggler. Hmmmmmmm, okay. So I go back just to test whether or not it was something I did - boom dead again. So now I'm thinking WTF. So I sit down and have a think. I go exploring a bit and find a dead body outside town with a great longsword and a cool robe. I equip my sword and cast a shield spell on myself and go back to the den again, this time I win, but only just.
The next guy in the Den was some sort of fire throwing wizard, who promptly handed me my ass again. So I figure I need more armour or something.
I then went off exploring, found a groto under the lake and went diving for pearls. Went back to town, sold em and got me some chitin armour and a scroll of summon skeleton. Now I'm thinking I'm all it. I go back to the den cast shield, cast summon skeleton and proceed to whoop the wizard. Now I'm really loving this game, all the planning and exploring paid off. I kill the next smuggler with ease and have a cave to myself. Woo Hoo.

I then headed off to Balmora after selling some stuff to see what it has in store, suffice to say I've joined the fighters guild and tha mages guild and have completed the first part of the major quest (meeting the guy mentioned in your journal) which I won't explain, but it's worth doing.

* So in summary I'm really loving this game. Hell I'm about to go buy a GeForce 4 for it which is going to set me back a small fortune but I can see myself playing this for quite some time to come.

Go BUY it now!
Post Wed May 08, 2002 10:44 pm
Snoekie
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

Glad you're enjoying it, Zameir
It looks like you only need to upgrade your videocard to Geforce 3 or 4. (don't get the MX, get a 4200, 4400 or 4600)
Also, use the no-cd crack/patch. It will boost your framerates.
Finally, for some odd reason, the higher you cranc up the resolution, the better it runs.

Thought I mention all this, just in case you didn't know
Post Thu May 09, 2002 12:03 am

Thanks. The first thing i did was run the no Cd patch, didn't really make any difference. And the higher the resolution I go the slower it is, at 1024 X 768 I get about 3-5 FPS.
I'm starting to suspect that all these problems might be cause by XP. But I'm trying to source a Geforce 4 now at a reasonable price, they are damn expensive, I have been quoted $987 AUS dollars for the Asus 4600, which is right out of my price range!
Post Thu May 09, 2002 12:27 am

Zameir
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

That last post was from me. For some reason my cookie keeps getting eaten by the cookie monster. Oh well.
Post Thu May 09, 2002 12:43 am
Dhruin

Got my copy from EB in the US on Tuesday (I'm in Sydney). Having a blast! I found that having Kazaar minimised in the background killed the frame rates...don't know why. Closed Kazaar properly and my Athlon XP 1800 w- Geforce3 Ti 200 is doing fine @ 1024x768.

If you can't stretch to a GF4 Ti you can pick up a cheap 128Mb GF3 Ti200 from around $369 (I'm sure there's better). I know it's no GF4 Ti 4600, but they're highly overclockable and the have the pixel shaders for the "pretty" water; a fair poor-man's alternative all-in-all.

Morrowind's VERY open. It's taken me a few hours to get used to setting my own direction (after the carefully story-driven scripting of games like Baldurs Gate). Now I have a little confidence to wander abroad and things like Enchanting items and Alchemy have me excited.

Cheers.
Post Thu May 09, 2002 1:01 am

Fashtas
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

EBgame delivery suspect?

I ordered from EBgames because it didn't (and still doesn't) look like Oz will be getting this game any time soon.

Checking my little order page, I can see "Shipped: 1" for Morrowind, though the shipping method is blank and there is no date for shipping. Nor di I have any sort of tracking number

Anyone have any idea how the heck I can tell if/when this game is going to arrive in Melbourne? I see people posting tracking details all the time from EBGame
Post Thu May 09, 2002 1:53 am
Zameir
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Go to the EB site and go to there help page. You can send a message to them from there and ask for your traking number by giving them your order number.
Post Thu May 09, 2002 2:32 am
Fashtas
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks for that

Thanks

I'll do that now.

Suppose all I can do while I wait is envy you and your copy
Post Thu May 09, 2002 3:18 am
Shifter
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Re: My thoughts

quote:
Originally posted by Zameir
* So in summary I'm really loving this game. Hell I'm about to go buy a GeForce 4 for it which is going to set me back a small fortune but I can see myself playing this for quite some time to come.

Go BUY it now!..

Now this is what I like hearing. Comes from a true RPGamer obviously. He has a lower end (to an extent) machine and is forced to run in 640x480 with all details down and STILL plays the game and isn't bitching left and right..

Now that's what I like to hear. Not, wah mommy my fps is only 10 wah..cry boo hoo.
Post Thu May 09, 2002 3:51 am
Aramas
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Zameir, I was in the same boat with a video upgrade. After lots of research I bought a Radeon 8500 from www.techforless.com in Colorado and had it shipped to Oz with FedEx Priority. I was busted by customs and they hit me for AU$86, bringing the total cost to about AU$430 - still about $170 cheaper than the best price I could find locally for a genuine ATI card. It's faster than the GF3 Ti200 (about the same speed as a Ti500), and the visual quality craps all over anything that NVidia has to offer.
I bought an Athlon 1800xp over a P4 for the same reason - more bang for the buck. So far I'm happy with the Radeon - it makes my old GF2 look washed out, grainy and blurry - not to mention ssllllooowww!
Post Thu May 09, 2002 4:10 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next