Help in Game and some technical issues.
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Arx Fatalis

Author Thread
DevilsBane
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Help in Game and some technical issues.

Hey. I just bought this game at the weekend, and getting it running has been a joke

First it needs Indeo Codecs which dont ship with Win XP service pack 1, and Indeo are SELLING them for $15!!

I had to hash in the unsupported win2k ones tyo get it working at all. Now I have cutscenes which go Black here and there. Its not the Nvidia drivers, I have tried the certified 30.XX and the certified 40.XX series it still happens. Only some parts fo the cutscenes do this not others.

Then theres the sounds. The voices are very feint compared to the rest of the game, and the game will not allow me to activate EAX. I have installed the unified EAX driver from the cd, although I dont see why I would need to since EAS and Areal A3D both work fine on my card without any unified drivers being added. But still the EAX option will not allow me to select it.

I tried mailing the technical support, and they never answered. I tried joining their forums and the forums never sent me the emails to activate the account, I tried two different emails and neither recieved activation. I then mailed them about this, an dthey never answered that mail either. Needless to say Jowood are NOT top of my list for companies I have any faith in!!!

Ok enough of that and onto the game which aside from all the messing around could actually be a good game if it worked properly

I am stuck. I went to the kings city and the king told me to go and see the Troll King Pog, the only problem is on the way to the Human Kings city, I walked past the gate troll at the mines and he went mad and tried to kill me, so naturally I killed him....

Now when I go to the Troll mines to see the King they all try to kill me so I cant deliver the letter.

I do have the note from the human king, and I try to show it to them but they still want to tear my head off????

Does this mean I messed up? All I did was walk past the gate gaurd and HE ATTACKED ME!! I had no choice but to kill him... I didnt know the Human King was going to send me there to be friends with them!!

Is there anything I can do? I can't complete my mission now and I dont know what to do?

Does this mean I need to restart the game? Or is there a way I can get the Trolls to stop trying to kill me all the time?

Thanks.
Post Wed Nov 13, 2002 7:02 am
DevilsBane
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Well this game goes down as the worst experience of my gaming life then......

Can nobody help?

I have just sent my seventh email off to the companies making this game, this time to the CEO of Arkane.......I wonder if it will be ignored like the other six I have sent to Jowood!!

Needless to say I STILL cant get into the official forums because my accounts are inactive, despite the fact that I have mailed the board admin twice about it.

I could have got better support in the stone ages than I have got so far for this game!!!

Well if anyone can help please do
Post Fri Nov 15, 2002 2:17 am
SuMMoNeR
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I dropped the note from the king because my inventory was full, and I killed about all the trolls... I guess that's the only way to do it, cause once you've killed a Troll they'll all be hostile towards you... Now what you have to do, is kill the troll-king, then get the key from is body and go back into the troll mine... There is a prison there and a troll is locked up, open the door and free him and he will remove the rocks leading to the outpost for you. Just revisit the king and your quest will be completed...
Hope this helps you a bit, and try never to get stuck in ladders like I did, cause then it's game over at the end
Post Fri Nov 15, 2002 2:47 am
julien roby@arkane studio
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Hi guys,

Send me a mail to jroby@arkane-studios.com and i'll answer to any of your questions.
Also remember we're located in france so we may not have the same hour than you...
Sorry for the delay.

-Julien
Post Fri Nov 15, 2002 9:17 am
DevilsBane
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Hi there, and thanks for the offer.

I just recieved a reply from Raphael Collantonio at Arkane helping with my problems thanks.

I guess Arkane are far more responsive than Jowood, I appreciate the swift reply from the Devs, since the publishers are just hopeless, and as good as non existant!!

Hopefully the problems will get sorted out now, ohh but something you can look at that would be wise is the use of the Intel Indeo codec. Windows XP SP1 editions no longer support this codec, so you really should provide some documentation about that or at least bundles the neccessary codecs on the CD or release them in a patch or something.

I am using the win 2000 codecs, because intel are now charging money for the Ideo XP codecs..

Post Fri Nov 15, 2002 2:54 pm
julien roby@arkane studio
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Well in fact JoWood got a succession of servers problems this week (which also explains why their official boards were down several times) and we guess your mail were lost in the mess...
Sorry for the delay anyway.
Post Fri Nov 15, 2002 2:58 pm
DivineDark
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hey a question about your sound. Are you using an actual Aureal A3D sound card. If so i am as well. go here and get the latest card drivers.
http://www.vortexofsound.com/ Check out this link to it has some useful files for a3d including a new aureal control panel for 2k/xp. http://aureal.cjb.net/

as for the video codecs this is a shot in the dark but the new directx9 RC0 might have it. http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail.php3?fid=1037189523
Post Sun Nov 17, 2002 11:38 am