DAOC-Shrouded Isles?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Author Thread
shaman's tear
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

DAOC-Shrouded Isles?

What is your opinion of the new DAOC expansion and how does it compare to AC2 if have played both? I've been playing AC2 since release and have become a bit bored with it already,not much to do besides xp hunting or recycling completed quests.
Post Mon Dec 30, 2002 2:22 pm
Vorador
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

This is also something that i have been looking at. I played DAoC #1 and it was pretty fun in the beginning, but got a little dull in the end. With Shrouded Isles though, the fact that they are putting a little dark magic like necros and reavers sound pretty cool to me. I might get it, but am eager to hear other people's opinions. The new race, Inconnu, looks probably the coolest i've ever seen and definitely look like they could put a little spin on the new DAoC.
Btw, my previous char. was a lvl 25 thane, like u had to know that

-Vorador

Noble? Do I look like a noble knight to you?

=Member of the Alliance of Middle-Earth, the Nonflamers' Guild, the Sixth House, the RPGDot Warriors, and Digger of the RPGDot Shadows=
Post Wed Jan 01, 2003 12:49 am
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

The REAL fun in DAOC begins when you start Realm vrs Realm conflicts. Anyway, i have played AC2 and it is, imo, pretty shallow gameplay. I stopped playing within 2 days. So i started DAOC'ing again and it is pretty fun. I have asked around in DAOC on the Hibernian side about the expansion, Shrouded Isles; i asked if it is worth it or not. A resounding "Hell Yes!" was the reply. Everyone i met in DAOC thinks its awesome. There is a whole new landmass for each realm, new classes, new races, spellcrafting, alchemy, et cetera. So it appears in all likelihood that its a sure-fire hit with the current DAOC crowd. However, I would NOT recommend AC2. It is severely watered-down for the "casual" player, which in my opinion just does not exist. The first one, Asherons Call, was my first MMORPG and was very entertaining, but the second one is a big disappointment. So i do know what i am talking about. Happy New Year!
Post Wed Jan 01, 2003 1:08 am
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

I'm coming in this discussion a bit late, but here goes:

DAoC Shorouded Isles is an absolute MUST if you already own DAoC (because don't forget that you DO need the original game to play this. If you'Re thinking of just picking up SI on its own, you're in for a little surprise ) It refreshes the graphics, smoothes the animation out, makes RvR painless and fluid.

I must disagree a little about AC2... If you're looking at starting up on a new game entirely AC2 is a safe bet. The game is enjoyable, No, it's not complexe, but it's fun. If you've become bored with it after a few days only, I doubt DAoC will be any better. It's still a leveling threadmill. They all are at their basic level. The story, in my opinion, is the edge that AC2 has, while DAoC's is the RvR element which can be overwhelmingly fun if you're into player-vs-player. If you're not, then DAoC probably is even worse than AC2 about gaining levels.

The new races of DAoC:SI are fun, but they are still a little of the same that was already in there. They will get as boring as everything else after a while if you were already bored with the game. The main reason SI is so great is the graphics update and the client-side lag issues that have been resolved for RvR.

I have played both SI and AC2 to a certain extent (I have a few AC2 characters up and running that are all above lvl 15, with one being 21 in a couple of weeks of playing) and I can assure you both are something interesting. Although I never thought I'd say it about AC2
Post Fri Jan 03, 2003 4:37 pm
Xanaki
Ghost of Asheron
Ghost of Asheron

SI is a must if you like DAoC, but if you have gotten bored with it or do not like it do not get SI.

SI Brings a nice uppgrade to graphics, lots of new and *huge* areas to explore, lots of new quests, dungeons and monsters too. The new classes of SI are fun to play and are quite different from the old classes (e.g. Bonedancer gets multiple pets) but the underlaying game is still the same and has the same problems that it had before.

For RvR players (and persons with decently modern computer) SI is a must, the new client does not have the famous graphics (mem leak) bug that caused graphics slow down and graphics errors (and eventually a crash) that the old client STILL has. The new client can also render big RvR battles better...
Post Sun Jan 05, 2003 12:59 pm