Eager Tradesman

Go to the New camp or old camp first?
Talk to you later
Jordan
Post Wed Dec 12, 2001 1:07 pm
Khalistro
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

If you play the game for the first time, follow Diego to the Old Camp.

From there you'll get plenty of options/guides willing to take you to the other camps.

Good luck and have fun,

Khalistro
Post Wed Dec 12, 2001 1:12 pm
JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

If you'd like to go through the first chapter without doing mistakes (thus reducing your options of choices, or make things unneccessary difficult) I have written a short hint-text for you.

How to start Gothic without doing 'mistakes' (reducing your options)...
(Chapter 1 hints)

AKA - Too much time

Beginners hints:

* By solving quests you can earn lots of experience, thus gaining Levels AND skillpoints while being "safe" from harm.
Sooner or later, you must kill stuff to earn more experience. The beginning in gothic is probably the part that takes most time, since you die all the time, fighting scavengers and other 'newbie monsters'. The quickest way to learn how to quickly kill monsters is to play Ranger, but it does have its disadvantages later on (check out the Classes below).

* Grab all the plants/fruits/whatever you can in the wilderness. They can be eaten to heal yourself and there are enough to keep you healthy all the time.

* To get a major load of money and, picklock all chests in the entire camp. (or everyone you can). Save first, then test the combination, once solving the combination, reload and use the right combination. That way you dont need too much lockpick skill, but get your reward "for free".

* To continue to have *LOTS OF MONEY*, buy the hunting skills from the pair of rangers you met on the way to the Old Camp. The money spent will be returned by the double, triple... No wait, you will get more money than you need in the entire game...

* Once good enough you can beat up whoever you wish and take their stuff. Dont kill them thou, unless you really want to, and can do it in a 'hidden place'.

*GREAT GREAT GREAT TIP*
A Bow helps you to take out one stronger monsters from safe distance, thus earning more xp than usual for monsters you shouldnt be able to kill so early in the game.
To get a free bow and a +5 dexterity ring early in the game do the following:
Enter the Mine, walk down to the melt-oven (with the working Orc Slave).
Here you have two caves leading to minecrawlers. Lure the crawlers in the left cave into the workers area, and they will be quickly killed by the guards.
Walk into that cave, search, and you will find what you need.
With this bow this early in the game you can advance in levels very quickly.

Classes:

In Gothic you must make up your mind about one thing, what would YOU like to play. You can play as a Warrior, Mage or Ranger. Once you made up your mind, you can check out the following hints of where to spend your hard earned experience.
Feel free to play 'mixtures' of different skills, but if you would like to be sure to be a 'specialized master' check it out.

Warrior
Playing warrior in Gothic is the "safest" way for glory. You will master the skills of using close range weapons, dealing deadly blows with your equipped axe, sword or club. The first thing to spend your points in is in strength. Always strength, however, you also need to learn to master your skill in 1h & 2h melee weapons. They costs ALOT of points, but are worth it, and you WILL get enough points to reach maximum in everything you need, so dont fear learning everything you can about melee. Dexterity is fairly needed. You can use it in 2nd hand just to be able to take out tough monsters from distance with bows/crossbows, but you dont need dexterity to fight at close range. Read the GREAT tip in above to grab a decent bow quickly in the game.
Grab the best strength bonus rings/necklace you can find.

Mage
Playing as a Mage is a path that is more difficult at the beginning, but more awarding later on. While the warriors constant hit-hit-hit tends to be boring you can learn lots of fun spells as a mage, learning how to combine spells for a even greater power. You need to learn monsters different 'weaknessess' by trying different types of spells against different monsters.
Unfortunate, you have one problem. You cannot get magic right away, so you still have to be able to kill monsters with at least using a bow (see info about the mine below)... But save as much skillpoints as you can. Once you can become a mage its good to have lots of skillpoints saved (preferably about 70 to be exact, and that just includes the mage-levels, not the mana you need to use the spells...).
There are two weapons that will help you out when playing as a mage that dont need you to spend to much points on Strength/Dexterity. Read the tip above about grabbing a decent bow quickly in the game, but if you'd like to get a "shortcut" to a superb melee weapon (only one you need as a Mage) ask.
Grab the best protection bonus rings/necklace you can find.
And one more thing - DO NOT JOIN THE SECT CAMP
I would reccomend joining the Old Camp, since its the quickest way to become a mage and lets you go all the way up to a master sorceror.

Ranger
*DISCLAIMER* Unfortunate, the authors havnt supported people that would like to play this game as a ranger. There is two specific monsters that *might* be a problem as a ranger, since they require to be taken out in ways where a bow isnt enough. There are just two in the entire game (dont counting the 'stone'guys). I wont give away wich monsters I mean, becouse it would spoil things, but once you defeated thoose two you can convert into a Warrior, decent enough to finish the game. (this is just a really small portion of the game really, so dont hesitate to play a ranger if you wish to do it). *END OF DISCLAIMER*
A ranger can take out monsters at long range pretty quickly, from a safe distance. He will use his bow to take out multiple targets, and a crossbow to quicker take out single targets.
The first thing ou need to do is to grab the damn bow im talking about all the time (read the tip above), then you can start to rock. Spend all the skillpoints you earn into Dexterity. Also grab the best dexterity bonus rings/necklace you can find.
Remember, that the Crossbow is slower, but do more damage. You need both bow and crossbow, but dont worry, in just 16 levels you can be a supreme master of both... And can spend the rest levels (about the double) on anything you like. I would reccomend the 'rest of the skillpoints' to be put on strength. See the small disclaimer above.

1. Old Camp

Go to Old Camp

Speak to everyone, tell Diego you'd like to join and do everything you can except the following:

- Dont do Thorus Mission without reading "2"
- Dont follow the Baal at the campfire (read on)
- Do Diego's "Test of Faith" if you wish, but DONT give Diego the list (read on). The best thing of going to the mine so easy in the game is to get the bow (see the tips above).

2. New Camp

Convince Thorus that you are skilled enough to do him a favor. When you get Thorus mission:
- Dont kill Mordrag, instead warn him about his danger.
Then follow Mordrag to the new camp.

On the way you will meet Cavalorn (Fingers told you about him). Learn sneak if you have skillpoints (10 points).
To be honest, a rather useless ability, but required to get Fingers vote.

In the new camp - do everything you can. Solve all the quests you can.
Tell them you'd like to join... Talk to everyone.

When you only have the "must betray old camp" left to do, you can go back to the old camp.

3. Sect Camp

Now find the Baal at the Campfire. Follow the Baal to the Sect Camp. There, tell them you'd like to join. Do everything you can there, get all Baals votes. Also make sure to picklock Cor Khalam's left chest and grab his reicipe (you can do this while his helper is asleep at night).

When you CAN (dont do it now) join the Sect, you are done here.

4. The choice

Ok, so we have the Old Camp with a load of guards that abuse their rights as much as they can and force people to work for them (blackmail).
We have the New Camp with a load of anarch bullies and a unforgiving rice lord that is forcing the people to become slaves for him.
We have the sect camp with a bunch of weed smoking religious whackos...

What would you like to join?
Your choice doesnt matter, unless you would like to play as a Mage (see above).
The advantages/disadvantages of each camp wont affect you much. Join what you feel for.
You will find out sooner or later who the "good" ones are anyway.

Best Regards
JemyM

Post Wed Dec 12, 2001 2:20 pm
Ragnar
High Emperor
High Emperor

Very nice tutorial JemyM…I would like to and a few things. Here are a couple of hints if you want to prolong the game for the first time.

1. Only go to places that your quests send you to (something you don’t realize until it’s too late).
2. Do not kill or beat up any one that you do not have to in order to survive.
3. Do not rely too heavily on any one weapon.

Sylvio
Post Wed Dec 12, 2001 2:46 pm
JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Ragnar:
-------
Its a part of my FAQ.

1. I explored 90% of the colony before going to chapter 2 (leaving ONLY the Orc Lands). That included killing a certain 3ton monster, some flying 'females', some 'huge worms', grabbing the 'hammer' some documents, lots and lots of firelizards etc... I was up to Level 14 before I entered Chapter 2. I had 70 skillpoints do distribute when I reached the inner walls of the Old Camp...
I was Level 36 when I finished the game. Everything important respawns, and can be killed again. Its safe as long as you dont touch winches (at all), or sell/throw away important items (such as the Orc Hammer).

2. Think upon it this way - Thoose that harrass you deserves to be spanked in the Old Camp. The Anarch ideology in the New Camp thinks its cool with fights. Noone will defend their buddies if you start attacking them, and if they do, rest for awhile and they will stop.

3. Warriors can stick with Melee weapons, using Ranged in 2nd hand.
Rangers can stick with Ranged weapons, using close range weapons in 2nd hand.
Mages can rely entirely upon magic. Orc Hammer is an final alternative if spell-killing isnt possible, but dont underestimate the power of magic.

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Wed Dec 12, 2001 4:00 pm
Sveinung
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

This helps!
Post Wed Dec 12, 2001 10:45 pm