Dungeon Lords Delayed to May
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

Dungeon Lords Delayed to May

The <a href="http://www.dungeonlordsgame.com/main.php?s=news" target="_blank">Dungeon Lords</a> site has been updated with a brief message that the game has been delayed to around mid May:<blockquote><em>We would like to announce that the release date of Dungeon Lords has been postponed to mid-May 2005. We apologize for the delay and would inform you of a precise release date shortly.</em></blockquote>
Post Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:19 pm

Feedback

My guess is the huge amount of negative feedback from the demo forced them to tweak some things. Hopefully for the better.
Post Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:20 pm

corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

I'd agree. I think it's taking them longer than planned to fix all the things people didn't like. Still, if it produces a better game, then the wait will be worth it!!

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:16 am
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

After playing the demo, in my opinion Dungeon Lords just needs a little play balancing and smoothing to make the 'feel' of the game better. I played the demo and IMO it's close to being a very good game; but it's not there in it's current incarnation (demo). However it only needs a little more polishing and play balancing, in my opinion, to make it a winner.

In sum, they'd be stupid to release it now because with just a little more time in development their sales will go up dramatically; it just needs a little more work.
Post Sat Apr 16, 2005 2:56 am
elmroth
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

For me it was sad to see such a rotten demo. I had high hopes for DL, because I liked Wiz7 and had a lot of fun with W&W (which I played all the way to the end). The demo I played had at least the following problems: sound distance broken, none matching voice and appearance of NPCs, start the demo in a fight without wearing any armor, NPC standing in the woods crawling with dangerous animals, no targeting in combat, for me the combat was void of immersion, lock picking broken, ...
No way I buy this game without a good second demo or very good reviews.
Post Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:08 am
Dhruin

^All of those issues have already been resolved, BTW.
Post Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:02 am
hammermd23
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Er...unless the Demo was a build from long, long ago, there is no way they can fix everything that was wrong with the game in under a month! Either they will release a bug-fest in May (which is what everyone expects...including preview sites at this point), or else they will have to push this back to at least Christmas before it will have nearly the polish necessary to be a decent game...
Post Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:06 pm
Dhruin

^I'm not sure if that was aimed at me. If so, I wasn't stating an opinion that I thought the game would be be good but rather pointing out that all the items on elmroth's "problems" list have already been addressed. Here's some change notes:

quote:
Changes Based on Feedback

-Reduced initial monster difficulty
-Slow rampup of monster random spawn numbers
-Safe Zone (no random spawns generated) near campsite (near Simon)
-Safe Zone near guard NPC
-Hit tables adjusted to increase rate of connection with monsters
-Sewer battle placement adjusted
-Major scene battle difficulty reduced
-Disarm Bar minimum speed set (to keep it from getting super-slow with high skill)
-Player sidestep/backstep/dodge speed increase. Further increase with athletics skill.
-Monster knockback against player greatly reduced!
-Optional visible targeting indicator added! (color of indicator also denotes monster health)

Other Changes Implemented Post-Demo

-Camping Implemented! Players can camp out at campsite to rest, refilling magic spells, healing, and passing time of day.

-Final Revive key Implemented. A player who revives w/no ressurect spells loses ADV, suffers penalty, revives stunned. (player can stay down till monsters wander away to prevent repeated death)

-Final starting classes implemented! Players get only starting class equipment/spells. Skill costs are adjusted based on class.

Fighter - Starts with small shield, footman's helm, short sword - Receives discounts to armor skills, receives high discountes to weapon skills.

Thief - Starts with small shield, dagger, throwing knives. - Receives discounts to athletics and thieving skills.

Mage - Starts with short staff, 2 Shrieking Stars, 2 Freezing Touch spells - Receives discounts to Arcane Magic, Identify, and Magic Weapon skills.

Adept - Starts with shield, small mace, healing crystal, crystal of pacify. - Recieves discounts to Celestial Magic and Armor skills.

-Evasive Maneuvers gained with increase in athletics.

-"Advance Strikes" with weapons require level 5 skill in the weapon type.

-Skill Prerequisites implemented (medium weapons requires equivalent light weapon skill, etc.)

-Compass Implemented

Bug Fixes

Options Page Fully Functional!
-Screen resolutions work correctly
-Gamma fixed
-Game difficulty slider settings and monster generation settings functional and balanced.

-Alt/Tab fix
-Windows key fix
-Dual monitor fix
-"Get hit over mountains" bug fixed
-"muffled sound" bug fixed
-Internet Connectivity issues fixed
-"Flashing Sky/Stars" bug on ATI 9200 fixed

So, sound problems, placeholder NPCs (someone is supposed to be a boy), spawning around Simon, targeting. bla bla. All done.

Whether this makes it a good game or not, I'll leave you to decide.
Post Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:11 pm

sounds good.
except this thing with the safe zones. why do they only mention 2 npcs those safe zones will be around?
shouldn´t it be around every important npc in monster spawning regions?
or was this comment only specific to the demo?
Post Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:19 pm

Roguecop

One of three things will happen now...

1) They will release the game in May at $39.95 to much boo hiss. And much complaining about the sad state of computer games and their irresponsible developers. DW Bradleys rep. will be quite ruined. Heuristic Park will be blasted as yet another example of release now/finish later greed and mismanagment that is torpedoing the PC games industry. Patch is belatedly started/not finished. They will likely go belly up within months of release...

2) The game release is canned. Won't happened, too late.

3) The game is delayed until late this year, early next year. Graphics engine is now extremely dated but the game is more solid than not, maybe even fun. Released as a bargain title at $29.95 or so. This is the only break even/small profit scenario available.

I for one hope Typhoon, assuming they aren't in financial dire straits grants them the money to finish the thing.

OK assuming they're out of dough here. Isn't it very odd they released a demo at all, given the sorry state of the product? The best thing to do, if you got a dud and are out of money and options is to withhold the game from the press and public prior to release. Then push out what you have onto the shelf with the least initial coverage possible. Cover as much cost as you can w/ impulse buyers and cut your losses. This is similar to what they do in the movie industy.

Heuristic is costing themselves lots of $$$$ by allowing bad buzz to be generated, not smart at all from a business stand point.

There needs to be a quality standards board in the PC industry, similar to what Sony and Nintendo (used to) have only it would be voluntary and the games who pass based on several important criteria possess a big shiny SEAL OF APPROVAL.
Post Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:13 am