SWG:Armor efficiency explained
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Author Thread
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

SWG:Armor efficiency explained

I'm sure this was linked to on the network here, but in case anyone has missed it, the devs have posted a nice eplanation of armor ratings and resistances:

http://starwarsgalaxies.station.sony.com/content.jsp?page=Advanced%20Guide%20Armor%20Fundamentals

It explains a LOT, and it explains it well as far as I can see. It can also help you gauge a little better how your weapon will hit against some particularily well armored opponents. Very useful!
Post Mon Aug 04, 2003 2:42 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

It explains why my armor rating of none was being worked over by an axe wielding red-con smuggler, even with my high melee defense rating.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Mon Aug 04, 2003 4:24 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

Well, went hunting with Eekim last night. Ever since this article, I've been paying extra attention to mob resists (now that I know what they mean)... and oh boy! This sure made a convicing argument to always cary more than one type of a weapon on you.

As an example, Eekim had only his FWG5 pistol on him. Our mission involved us shooting some sort of a dragonfly like critter. I checked out its stats, and it had Special Protection for heat at 100%. Meaning, you can do 0 dmg to it with heat weapons. Guess what type of damage FWG5 does? Anyways, that mission was an excercise in combat healing techniques for me (and Eekim). At least I found out what 'dragIncapacitated' does.

I think I'm going to go into the game now and find me a gun that does Stun damage. Even if it has the worst stats in the world...
Post Mon Aug 04, 2003 11:50 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

After that article, everyone is going to seek stun weapons. The prices, if they're even available, will quadrupple for a bit until everyone has one. Then the developers will say 'our intent wasn't for everyone to have stun weapons, especially PvP, so we're (introducing new armor, nerfing stun damage, raising the materials needed to construct stun weapons)'.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

Post Tue Aug 05, 2003 11:32 am
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

BTW, stun weapons don't stun people. And they would also be very useless in PvP. Most armors have heat vulnerability, so weapons like the fwg5 pistol do a lot better than a Tangle pistol. Especially since the Tangle pistol does only 60% dmg from the get-go. But, if you face a mob that has AR2 and the only vulnerability is stun damage, then that 60% is god sent.
Post Tue Aug 05, 2003 12:31 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

quote:
Originally posted by EverythingXen
After that article, everyone is going to seek stun weapons. The prices, if they're even available, will quadrupple for a bit until everyone has one. Then the developers will say 'our intent wasn't for everyone to have stun weapons, especially PvP, so we're (introducing new armor, nerfing stun damage, raising the materials needed to construct stun weapons)'.

I don't think that will happen for one reason: experimentation.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but an armorsmith with some skill can actually experiment on each of the resists individually to make them much higher than they would be originally, right? I could be wrong, I don't know enough about armor smithing...

But if it's true, then it means that someone could actually create a suit of Bone armor with better resists than higher-level armor. So there's no need to implement a new kind of armor that is resistive to stun because armorsmiths can already make existing armor that will have good stun resists if you ask for it. That is if I'm correct in assuming individual resists can be experimented on...
Post Tue Aug 05, 2003 12:50 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Ekim
Correct me if I'm wrong, but an armorsmith with some skill can actually experiment on each of the resists individually to make them much higher than they would be originally, right?

Correction. Each armor has a set set of Special Protections, Effectivnesses(sp?) and Vulnerabilities. Experimentation only increases special protections (and possibly effectivness). It can never change the list of what each armor protect against.

But, that DOES mean that a lower level armor CAN be a better armor than a higher level one. For a particular type, or a set, of damage(s) that is. The problem is with vulnerabilities. Those mean that any type of damage that the armor is vulnerable to, will ignore armor completely. So, if you have a mob with AR2, which means that any shot taken at this mob with an AP0 pistol (which most of them are) will be reduced by 75% damage, before any other protections are applied. That's a lot! But, if this mob has a vulnerability, then that type of damage will be applied at 100%.

And this brings me to the counter-argument for EverythingXen. There is no need to nerf Tangle pistols. They suck already. They are probably worse than CDEF pistols. BUT! When facing a mob that has 100% resist to the type of damage your super uber pistol does, then 50 dmg per shot with Tangle pistol is a good thing. And I trully doubt that people will be going out in the droves to get Tangles. Most people are oblivious to this whole damage business. Even after the article. I keep explaining to people every day in the game why they should have more than one pistol type on them at all times. Until they implement the changes that are currently in development, where the specific damage type will be displayed on the weapon, I trully doubt that anything more than 10% of the population will really care.
Post Tue Aug 05, 2003 2:09 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

That's true. My own feeling on it is in the range of "Sometimes when I punch I do 300 and somtimes it's 150. Bummer." I don't particularly pay attention to what resists do what to where... though I examine each mob before committing.

Post Tue Aug 05, 2003 2:19 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

quote:
Originally posted by MoonDragon
Until they implement the changes that are currently in development, where the specific damage type will be displayed on the weapon, I trully doubt that anything more than 10% of the population will really care.

Thanks for the correction

The huge problem now is, as you pointed out, that the weapon stats don't show the damage type, and it can get really confusing as to why a certain enemy goes down much slower than others... Once they fix that maybe more people will be clued in.

Now, I would get more than one pistol to play on that, but of course first I have to HAVE a pistol... I've been hit by a bug last night that rendered all the guns I would buy useless! They disappear from my inventory after logging out! I burned 10k last night for nothing.... Waiting for CSRs to answer my ticket. Think it has something to do with factory crates as far as I read on the official boards this morning. Be careful when buying something from a player vendor who has factories!
Post Tue Aug 05, 2003 2:21 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

@EverythingXen
Actually, the reduction of damage effects is visible elsewhere. Find a mob with kinetic resist. Something that's not too tough for you to kill. Then, hit it and observe to different numbers. One is the number that floats above the mob's head and the other is the reported number in the combat window. The number above the mob's head is the damage you actually hit it for. The number in the combat window is what you 'rolled' to hit with. Those two numbers will be different (assuming you're meleeing and the mob has kinetic energy resists). That's how you can see the amount of damage the mob's armor absorbs.

@Ekim
Thx for the heads-up.
Post Tue Aug 05, 2003 3:24 pm