Usergroups
Call of Cthulhu
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

Psst... no news of Kengo's exploits for 2 days... maybe the madness got him?
Post Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:40 pm
thartanian
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Word on the street is that the pc version got pushed till May

I've been playing the xbox version. I'm loving it.
Post Sat Oct 29, 2005 4:24 pm
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

I...

But...

That don't make no sense...

May?!

(>_<)grrr!

Anyone would think it was a flippin' 360 launch title! What's going on? I searched, and IGN and Gamespot have it listed as Feb 2006, which may be another optimistic date. OK - best-case scenario: they're using the extra time to fix problems (like, if the aforementioned memory foul-up is true, they can restore levels to their original state, which shouldn't be too much work considering they were supposedly almost finished before they had to change). If anything like that happens, I'll fly to the store on day of release on pig-back.

What other reasons could there be? They don't want to put it out in the "holiday season" because it'll likely be swamped by 360 hysteria and crazy Christmas sales (it's happened to the best of games - anyone play Beyond Good & Evil?)

Also, while searching I found out about Call Of Cthulhu: Destiny's End, which I'd previously never heard of, also by Headfirst and also slated for 2006 release on PC and/or "unspecified consoles." I don't want the headache of trying to figure out what's going on, but if May rolls up and PC Dark Corners is released unchanged (or worse, not released at all) I'll be disgusted.
Post Sat Oct 29, 2005 5:10 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Gettin good reviews

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/adventure/callofcthuludarkcornersoftheearth/review.html
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:29 pm
thartanian
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Aye, this game rox. I'm like 82% complete with it, according to the game statistics. Extremely immersive and reminisicent of Alone in the Dark. Because of the panic attacks and visual distortion that your character has along with the fierce scariness of the game, your heart rate tends to skyrocket. I do have one concern. After playing this game solid for at least 2 hours. The visual distortions that your player experiences affects you outside of the game. I'll be reading forums or focusing my eyes on stuff, then all of the sudden the text unfocuses like in the game. It doesn't happen often, only when I pull at least 2 straight hours of it. Best advice I can give is to try and not look at scary things. If scary things appear in the room, just look down, hehe. Xbox version isn't buggy, although I have heard rumors of the game occasionally locking up, but it's never happened to me. When push comes to shove, this game rox. If you guys got a Box, get the game.

Since I'm done with class all this week. I'll probaby beat this game today. So feel free to post questions about the game, whether it be hints on how to pass the game or whatever. Also, I just got The Movies. This game has a lot of potential. The tycoon side is fun. But the other part of the game is a movie maker giving you full powers from lighting to camera angles to even writing the whole script. Take away all the airplanes and jets and it reminds me of Stunt Island.
Post Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:49 am
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

I wanted the PC version, but I just can't wait any longer. I've read that Cthulhu works on X360 so I think I'll purchase it this weekend!!!
Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:44 pm
Majnun
Village Leader
Village Leader

It's official...the PC version will ship on March 27th. I just pre-ordered mine.

Press release here:
http://www.callofcthulhu.com/news/pressrelease_030606.html

I guess I'll get to play Oblivion for a week before I completely forget about it till I beat DCotE. Fine by me!

On another note...anybody else think it was really CRAPPY of Bethesda to release the PC version just 1 *week* after Oblivion? I mean either they are intentionally trying to screw the sales of it...or bury the news of it under the avalanche that is Oblivion...or someone in their marketing department is a total moron. Just doesn't make ANY sense at all to release it that close to Oblivion (almost as if they're slapping Headfirst in the face).
Post Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:53 am
argent1970
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

x-play gave it 3 out of 5 and they said that there was too many places to instantly die (i.e. falling, things dropping on you) and you're unarmed for the first THIRD OF THE GAME! i had high hopes for this one too, but everything i hear about it says: disappointment. i think i'll wait till elder scrolls 4comes out. which won't be long!
Post Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:15 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

It's hard? Cool, it's added to my list of summer games.
Post Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:41 pm
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Still looks like a 'next week' release ... I'm looking forward to this as well.

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:47 pm
JDR13
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

I got it! Just got home with my copy. Bought it from Gamestop at the local mall. I've been waiting for this game for over 2 years now. I haven't installed it yet and I probably won't untill tommorrow. From looking at the screenshots on the box, it seems to me that the graphics are somewhat dated. The minimum requirements are listed as follows:

Pentium 3 800Mhz
256MB RAM
DirectX 9.0 Compatible card with 128MB RAM.
2.0 GB hard drive space.

I'm somewhat skeptical of the low system requirements (800Mhz CPU?!)
I've heard good things about the Xbox version though so I hope the PC version doesn't disappoint. I'll post back with some first impressions as soon as I've played it.
Post Mon May 01, 2006 10:42 pm
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

The graphics are pretty lousy as shown below. There are some good things so far ... but the visuals aren't one of them - I have everything cranked to max (including brightness) and am not getting anything all that nice.

But I'm pretty far into the game and it is fun - seems like some of the XBOX criticisms have ben handled.

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Tue May 02, 2006 12:22 pm
JDR13
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Been playing now for the last 3 days and I have mixed feelings so far. The atmosphere is good so far even though the dated graphics detract from it somewhat. The A.I. is a mixed bag. I've had npc's see me when they shouldn't have been able to. The game is also very linear so far. There are lots of doors and alleys, but you can't explore 95% of them. The scripted action scenes are annoying because you're almost always going to die at least once because it's not always obvious what you need to do. So far I'd have to say that I'm a little dissapointed as I had high hopes for this game. The graphics and interface reek of XBOX design. I'll post back after I get further into the game.
Post Fri May 12, 2006 12:58 am
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

I never got around to purchasing the Xbox version, I saw the PC version for $30.00 and will pick it up this weekend!!!

Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Fri May 19, 2006 1:57 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3