Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
G2 Gold NotR: Switching from magic to melee?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 - Troubleshooting

Author Thread
Warmskin
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

G2 Gold NotR: Switching from magic to melee?

When I choose a spell by picking a number assigned to it, after I'm done using it and want to go back to melee (#1), it doesn't work. It just keeps putting up other spells above my character. The only way to go from magic to using my sword is by first picking bow (#2) and *then* picking the sword (#1). Kind of frustrating in the middle of a battle. What gives?
Thanks.
Post Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:56 pm
Muze
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Same problem here. And I can't assign anything to #3 ... seems like I have unlimited fire arrows there (until my mana runs out). There's nothing in my inventory with a red 3. But yeah I think the last spell I selected with a number comes back when I try to hit #1 for melee. And if you don't have any arrows your "workaround" doesn't help. It's definitely sucky.
Post Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:01 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

#3 is defined as "last used spell".

Try to get out of combat mode with space and then press 1. Maybe itīs faster.
Post Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:20 am
Muze
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

ok that explains #3. I think maybe #1 is somehow accidentally calling up that command until combat is exited and reentered (or the bow is used).
Post Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:59 am
Warmskin
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Actually, if you do not have a bow or arrows in your inventory, you *can not* equip your melee weapon (sword) once you have used magic. You have to reload. This is a huge bug and I'm a little perplexed that after *all this time* no one at the company spotted it. VERY frustrating to have to cast a spell, and then run everytime while you're taking out your bow and then taking out your sword.
Post Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:34 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

AKAIK youīre the first one who has this bug. Maybe you should reinstall the game. Itīs rather unlikely 500.000 people have overlooked such a bug for 3 years.
Post Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:54 pm
Warmskin
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Yes, it certainly seems that way (except for 'Muse' - see above). And I do remember having this problem the first time I played G2, except it was intermittant. Now it's constant.
Do I just need to keep a copy of my 'Saves" folder? Is that the only thing I need to retain before wiping this off the CPU and then re-installing? I'd sure hate to start over now. Also, when first installing this, I installed the first 3 discs and then ran the game. When I saw nothing different I quit and inserted the 4th disc (which then automatically installed NotR). Should I have installed all 4 at once? I didn't really know exactly what to do because the game doesn't address this very clearly in the docs and after the 3rd disc was installed it didn't ask me for the 4th. Since then the game has been working fine except for this problem. I'm loving it the 2nd time thru, anyway. Especially with the NotR changes. Thanks a lot!
Post Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:43 pm
Muze
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I suggest you go ahead and reinstall. I just did and it seems to have fixed the spell/melee issue for me. I backed up my saves folder but when you uninstall you have the option to leave it intact. If you get an error (something about not finding install.log) when you try to uninstall 'Gothic 2 + addon' in the start menu, just choose 'uninstall.' Then put in your three discs and click finish, then pop in disc 4 and tell it to install NOTR. Just like you did before. Let me know if this problem gets fixed for you.

Unfortunately reinstalling hasn't solved my selection/focus issue (edit: yes it has now, see other thread).
Post Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:58 pm