Flicking pictures and ASCII sky
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Troubleshooting

Author Thread
Gormash
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Flicking pictures and ASCII sky

OK, I have a very annoying problem. I can still play, but it's irritating me.

Sometimes when I talk to people or look in my inventory the panels (inventory pictures and text) start to flicker on and off erratically. This sometimes happens to my health-bar too, when I move around. Not the red bar in the middle, but the gray panel around goes on and off like a hyperactive child with a light-switch.
Also, in some instances I see a bunch of ASCII characters displayed on the sky like a layer of clouds about 2 inches above my characters head.

This problem occurs most often in and around the Old camp (about 80% of the time), but happens outside of there as well (about 40% of the time).
I'm only in chapter 1, so I've not seen it all, though I've been in all camps and the old mine.

Needless to say this is extremely vexing, though not critical to the gameplay.

I have recently updated my Geforce256 to the newest detonator drivers (don't remember the version, but it was the newest one). I have installed the patch found here with no effect.
I've also, just to try, lowered all graphics to minimum and maximum, but they both reacted the same way.

Anyone with any good ideas?
Post Wed Jul 10, 2002 12:17 pm
[PB]Nico
Keeper of the Bugs
Keeper of the Bugs

The GeForce 256 is one of the first T&L cards. Maybe there are problems in the implementation (hardware and or software).
However, try older Detonators (for instance 12.41) or the newest 29.80 (not published by nvidia yet, but it is available =).
Make sure that 'enable fog table emulation' is set (extended display options).

- nico

ps: never seen an GeForce 256 in real life, so I cannot say if it should work or not.
Post Wed Jul 10, 2002 3:33 pm
Gormash
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Sorry for taking so long in replying...

Well, I tried what you suggested, but with no improvements.
I've also looked through the readme file, and they clearly say that Geforce 256 have not caused any known errors.

Just so you know, I have 32 MB RAM on my video-card, and all other requirements are above the recommended stats.
Post Tue Jul 16, 2002 2:43 pm