RPGDot Network    

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords (Xbox)
Display full image
Pic of the moment
More
pics from the gallery

Site Navigation

Main
   News
   Forums

Games
   Games Database
   Top 100
   Release List
   Support Files

Features
   Reviews
   Previews
   Interviews
   Editorials
   Diaries
   Misc

Download
   Gallery
   Music
   Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Finished gothic second time...
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Dez
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

Finished gothic second time...

Awaken!

I can't simply recall what was the last game,that striked as hard as Gothic did(It was Deus Ex by the way,if you must know,but thats a different kind of story).From the first cutscene, I was so hooked in the mysterious and darky colony.I felt like like a prisoner in gothic,only that i enjoyed very much being inside my own little barrier:)
Certainly I had some breaks, but this sure is one of those games, you just have to play "one more hour".Then you realize its morning and you play some more:).

Right after watching intresting intro about what had happened in the past years in the kindom of myrtana, I was throwed in, only knowing, I should take some letter to high magician of cirle of fire,whoever he is.Whole backstory was very unique and setup about relationship beetween the king and Gomez only made it more intresting.
Gothic is nice mixture of freedom and still it manages to offer an intresting story for player to follow with.There wasn't a single boring moment in gothic unlike i had many of those in "Morrowind".Everywhere was somethings new and intresting to look for.(thought "treasures" could have been more intresting)

Instantly after "warm welcome with classical old camp style", I soon discovered(thanks for Diego!) all the 3 camps and what they were all about.As a newcomer I should pick up one of those camps.To be honest this was the best part in the whole game,because of freedom and number of guests.Like Gorn said i was a greenhorse and i needed some respect.So i did few tasks for many many different people, more or less important.At the end i had to choose the best option of the camps.It wasn't easy choise,not at all.Seems nothing is black or white.There are no simply good or bad choises.It was fun to learn about the 3 camps, how they were formed, and the motivations/political interests of them.

Old camp had many kinds of people.There were lots of jerks like Gomez or bloodwhyn, but then again they had good people like mlton,diego and Scorpio.Old camp offered people some sense of protection and order. Naturally everything had its price.The life in there was quite unhappy for most.Atleast thats what i thought after chatting with diggers and guards.Everybody still did their own part and things were allways quite ok.
I also felt that i was in debt for diego for saving my butt.So joining in the old camp did look quite intresting, before passing the list to diego, I decided to take a look other camps as well:)

New camp seemed to offer lots of freedom for everyone.Nobody was "bossing"around or telling what to do.Sadly they had no order at all, everybody was on their own.Take a look at the ricefields.Life in there ain't dancing on the roses either.

Sect camp finally offered some peace, more than any of those 2 camps.It was a damn nice moment when i first time stepped in the swamp camp at night.Me being nearly dead and armed with some poor sword, wich i couldn't even handle properly!I was getting a warm welcome from the gate guard, who feeled so calm unlike those tight asses in old camp.Sect camp was such a beautifull place: full of life.It felt like everything was in harmony with eachother and i wanted to become a templar.Templars are the coolest people in whole colony.I remember watching ages how they trained:).These folks as well had an escape plan, wich didn't sound not much crazier than blowing big mound of ore, so i thought what the hell i am waiting for;)

The most noticeable thing,what makes Gothic feel very unique and stand out of the crowd of typical rpgs, is the very living like world itself.I tried morrowind sometime ago and i couldn't help the fact, that it felt such a dead place after the rich world i got to taste in Gothic.Belive, I was so amaized when noticed npcs living their own lives, doing what they were meant to do.Like old camp had cook making food or guards were patrolling or mages were practising magic arts etc.After day turned to night NPCs went to get some sleep.
Npcs had lots of personality as well, thanks for good actors,like Y'barrion,Gomez,Thorus and even that loser Mud!They were one of the most colorful and memorable characters I've seen in games.
I think piranha bytes have succeed what most devs can't archive.Gothic is brilliant drink for allmoust any gamer.It has lots of intresting action(thought fighting system could be more complex ala Severance,it could have more gore too!.Finally a story does make some sense and is FUN for player to follow..Some of the best moments were allmoust movielike:).Does anybody even remember what Arx Fatalis was all about..or Morrowind...

I'll close my post by listing Few best moments in Gothic for me.

Heavy spoilers here!
-

-Particularly first contact with snappers was something memorable:).I thought: "well they won't look so though" and oh boy my newbie ass ran fast...it didn't end here.Heh i though i was safe finally but what the hell, one of those bastards had rounded long way to get me, brilliant!

-Getting inside the castle and meeting the mages of fire after such an effort.
(btw second time i played as a mage)

-Killing the bug queen(however she was too easy to kill,i expected much more challenge)

-Becoming a templar

-Orc cemetary was quite a scary place!Excellent scripting there,like how Bal lukor got mad, he didn't leave much choise what to do!

-killing bullock, that bastard really got what he deserved.

-ORc Temple did have few nice puzzles:)

-UZriel was bloody great sword!

-"Cleaning" the orc willage hahahahah!

-Payback time in the old camp, gomez got what he was waiting for.I didn't even blink an eye while cutting his head.However I didn't enjoy killing old Thorus, but he knew what he was going to get while attacking against me:(.
Only really sad thing was that i couldn't rescue the lady, hey why are staring me like that?Hero allways gets the girl, right?
Post Fri Mar 14, 2003 9:22 am
sfar200213
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Nice, loooong post!

I found gothic so good i completed it fuive times! Twice with old camp, twice with new camp and once with sect camp. I loved when i was a member of the old camp, and you get thrown out (chapter four i think) i kicked so much crap out of those bar stewards! Especially Gomez, the egotistical smeg headed fool!

Cant wait for Gothic 2 english..............but im gonna have to!
Post Fri Mar 14, 2003 5:10 pm
thebiz
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

nice post. kinda sums up my feeling on gothic.

I kind of disagree with you on morrowind though. I spent alot more time on morrowind than i did gothic, because morrowind was so free form, and there was always something new to do. gothic is overall a much tighter game and cohesive game, but as a result causes the game to offer quite a bit less freedom.

things i liked in morrowind:i could do whatever the crap i wanted. endless things to do. exploring was always exciting. the island was freaking huge, but had a much better transport system than gothic. decent story, that i didnt actaully complete until my 4th character (that tells you something about the replay on this game). the ability to make a character that can jump 40 feet from roof to roof in balmora (it is as fun as it sounds).

Things i liked about gothic:the monsters (awesome design, balance, everything) the weapons. the characters. more personality. people have their own little routines. excellent level/map design, i absolutley love the colony. neat combat (alot better than morrowind). sweet story.
Post Mon Mar 24, 2003 7:50 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

well if u ask me then i didnt like morrowind at all it was so big and so boring i played it like 2 hours and the game didnt attach me but G1 and 2 hehe wow well thats a game ppl are alive and shjit Old camp was the most powerfull place New Camp was the most free place and Sect camp was the most peaceful place (too bad only what with them will happend in G2 )
Post Mon Mar 24, 2003 5:24 pm