What do you want from an MMORPG?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Author Thread
Xanaki
Ghost of Asheron
Ghost of Asheron

What do you want from an MMORPG?

I am a adventurer explorer type of a person. I get the kicks out of exploring new places and being the first to find out something that someone else hasn't been able to explore yet.

We all like something in MMORPGs. The above is my thing.

Some like being the fastest leveler. Show off your level and skills while beating your opponents.

Some like finding out the best equipment in game and then showing the stuff to your fellow players. Is there really anything better than showing the unique armor or sword/staff to hundreds of drooling persons at once and say "Yeah, you can not believe where I found this! "

Someone else likes to control people. He has uber social skills and can attract huge amount of persons to form big guilds. This kind of person gets the kicks out of guild leadership.

Someone just likes to play MMORPG as a single player. Preferably not seeing another player in sight unless wanting to sell something to them.

Or are you a board troll?

So, to form up some new discussion on our new forum: What kind of a MMORPG player are you? Or if you do not play MMORPGs yet, what would you like to be?

(The small amount of definitions are just a pointing arrow.. you can imagine your own path and desire!)

Post Mon Jul 22, 2002 10:13 pm
Roach
SBR Belfry Bat
SBR Belfry Bat

I want it all! I want wealth beyond my own conciderable imagination. I want I manson, a castle, a palace! I want to buy and sell crafters of deadly weapons and creators of great works of art. It's all about the material wealth; if you have enough even kings will bow in suplication!!!!!!

Last edited by Roach on Tue Jul 23, 2002 5:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Mon Jul 22, 2002 10:19 pm
Provis
High Emperor
High Emperor

What I want most in a MMORPG is what I had in UO, and to a much lesser degree in EQ, FUN. I loved to be able to walk around in UO, chopping wood and carving bows that I would sell to a friend so she could sell them on her vendor, or mining all day then carrying tons of ore back to the forge to practice making armour, I loved just hanging out with my friends in town talking because they were already GM Warriors and weren't worried about leveling up, most of all I loved downing 10k of my hard earned cash just to finally finding perfect colour hair dye (that shows how long ago I quit UO). In EQ I felt like I was working all the time I was online "playing", I was constantly fighting, downtime, oops died, corpse run, fighting, downtime, oops everyone else is tired and wants to quit, trying to solo, died, corpse run, try to solo, died, etc, etc. I needed a vacation from playing EQ. Then when I did take a vacation I'd come back and all my friends were level 40 and I was only 12. I think thats what I liked most about UO, it was super easy to hit the top with skills and there was little in the way of special items so people end up not carring about having to go "camping" to "hear" that ohh so special "DING!" and was more worried about having fun.

"Yea, so what I didn't like Planescape: Torment, what are you gonna do about it?" - Provis
Post Tue Jul 23, 2002 2:37 am
Ceka
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I LOVE adventuring. Especially with one or two friends.

In an MMORPG, I love an interactive enviroment. It endulges me in the setting better. Like camping. I love adventuring, then being able to gather wood and build a campfire so I can just hang out with one or two friends and talk.

I love having a few people to back me up.

I love being the leader of things.

It's all of this I love. I like having company, but not too many, three is a max for me. I like being places no one else is. I like charging into battles.

I'm an adventurer, with a taste for interactivity and fights.

*Drool*

Now I need to buy a game like that..

EDIT:

Also, I look for housing establishments in MMORPGS. Or possibly temporary places you can stay. It's great to have a home to come back to every now and then.

And control over the character. No point and clicks, I like a type of Gothic control.

And being able to sit/lay ect. Jumping, climbing, swimming.

Horses! Horses are cool!

*Passes out from lack of breathe*

Who's there?

This is my.

This is my who?

This is my profile.

.... HAHAHAHAHA *Heartattack*
Post Mon Jul 29, 2002 2:02 am
SuperCowMan24
Blademaster of the Moo
Blademaster of the Moo

i look for a lot in an mmorpg.

housing is nice. it was in Asherons call, and will be In dark age of camelot, but i hate the idea of monthly dues. asherons call, you have to pay your dues every 45 days tops. well, guess what? i went on a LONG trip, then a family reuinion, and well life was tied up for about 2 months, and i logged back on to AC to find that my house had been bought out cuz i hadnt payed my dues. i NEVER found another house because, GEEEEE theres such a SHORTAGE DANGIT!!!!!!!

in ac i LOVED their skill system, it was the best ever, but only a few templates actually WORKED well. the rest you just werent powerful enough. maybe they will improve in AC2. im with everquest right now, horses, FACTION!!!! YAY! and my very, VERY small group of roleplaying friends. we are isolated when we roleplay, but its worth it. i like to see my avatar right there, on the field... yaaa... where i can invite my friends over and say, Yea, thats me, so and so, level 20 somethin whatever. i worked hard on him and he has his place in life, im happy with it, i have fun with my friends a couple times a month, ALL IS WELL.

i like that. but i wish i had more rolepalying friends... MMORPGs depend mostly on the people, the people you hang with on those games CAN and WILL MAKE OR BREAK your enjoyment of the game. im glad to be with a group that makes my time worthwhile.

Don't you feel better now?
Post Fri Aug 02, 2002 8:22 pm