Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Is there any point to Block and using short blades?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Oblivion - General

Author Thread
Phil5000
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Is there any point to Block and using short blades?

I'm definately a short sword and shield kinda character. But unlike in Morrowind where Speed governed short blades, in Oblivion Strength governs all blades. So even if I have a higher speed and lower strength I might as well use a long blade. So is there any point at all to using a short sword or dagger over a longsword, aside from the weight?

And is there any point to Block? Since it doesn't stop all damage you get hurt as you're blocking. And since you can't attack and block at the same time you might as well just keep attacking, right? Or am I doing it wrong, or does it get more effective as you get more skilled?

If anyone thinks block is good, could you describe your technique please? What kind of tactics/moves do you have success with. I'm level seven and if I didn't use a bow I'd be screwed (I have a rule about quaffing poitions in the middle of a fight).

Thanks fellas.
Post Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:52 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Not sure about the short/long blades thing. It really doesn't seem to make sense to use short blades.

As for the blocking.
It really gets better. With higher ranks in the blocking skills you may cause special things to your oponents (not sure what they are, I don't have my manual around here).
Also, I think that it is quite efficient to attack just after you black your enemie's.

Generally, fights are better than in Morrowind, but not really good enough. So to attack/click as fast as possible really seems to be viable tackics.
Post Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:05 am
Dark Pheonix
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

At higher levels your block will also stun your opponent and at master level I think there is also a chance of you disarming him. Also, it's a hell of a lot better to block with a shield than a dagger. You'll take less damage.
Post Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:46 am
Tjvelcro
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I would think and hope that short swords and daggers attack faster then say a 2 handed weapon (sword, hammer) and hopefully a little faster then the bigger one handed weapons. I would think that they would balance the type of weapons so no one type is the best.

As for the shield problem, I think that as you raise your blocking skill you should be able to block more damage. As stated somewhere blocking with weapons does not block as much damage as with a shield (which makes sense to me). But all this is just me thinking what should happen because in the manual or actaul game they don't clear up these questions unforunatly.

Tjvelcro
Post Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:09 pm
cptmaxon
High Emperor
High Emperor

if you block you get a second or so when you're enemy is fazed in which you can get at least 2 strikes, and then block again, that's why block is important..., If you attack all the the other guy will block and you'll be open to attack.
Post Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:05 pm
bjon045
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Smaller weapons swing a lot faster which means they use charges a lot faster too and can be deadly provided you have enough charges.
Post Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:00 am