Members
Usergroups
Say it ain't so!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Siphax

Say it ain't so!

I've spent the last few days doing the same things as most of you: reading news bits, drooling over screenshots, thinking about what character to try first, dropping $125 on a new video card so I'll see the cool water effects, etc. I've read about about the skills available, and something didn't sit right with me. I couldn't put my finger on it, but something was missing. I hadn't played Daggerfall in a very long time, so the missing skills eluded me for a day or so.

Then, all of a sudden, it dawned on me. No backstab or critical strike skills!! I can't believe such an omission could have taken place. Was my dream of playing a custom dark elf assassin-type character dead? Would I deftly sneak up on my opponents, strike them unknowing from behind only to have my blade cause just enough measily damage to blow my cover so they could turn around and stomp me into the cobblestone streets? Oh, the humanity!

Then I came to my senses and realized it must have been an oversight by the reviewer. Or maybe a misprint. Or perhaps someone hacked the website and removed those skills from the article to torment me. Someone who has the game, please tell me those skills are still there! I won't be able to sleep until I know I'll be able to fell an opponent from behind as I did so many times in Arena and Daggerfall.

Give me good news, or give me death!

Siphax
Post Thu May 02, 2002 2:11 am

Yes you can backstab. If you sneak up on your target you get an initial 4x mutliplier bonus.
Post Thu May 02, 2002 2:13 am

Siphax
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

thank you

Ah, once again the gods smile upon Siphax! Thank you for tearing yourself away from the game (if you have it) to give an old man some peace of mind.

Does anyone know if that's a damage multiplier, a to-hit mutilplier or both?

Siphax
Post Thu May 02, 2002 2:17 am
Siphax
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

nevermind

I saw the answer in one of sauron38's posts, it's damage x4.

Siphax
Post Thu May 02, 2002 2:22 am
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

"It ain't so."
Post Thu May 02, 2002 2:26 am
Merkin
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

The key word here being sneak. So's anyone has a chance to backstab, but only thief/assasin types will do it reliably. SOunds like a good set up to me.
Post Thu May 02, 2002 3:25 am