Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
What system will play the game in FULL graphical greatness ?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 3 General

Author Thread
nasos_333
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

What system will play the game in FULL graphical greatness ?

I wonder what will be the right system to play the game at 1280x1024 which is great for most under 20 inch monitors, with ALL SETTINGS FULL and all possible graphical effects (reflections as shown in magazine scan /refractions, per pixel everything etc) in 60 fps (with full AA and filtering)

I suppose you would need at least a 1GB of ram, and a 256 MB ram video card, preferably a full dx9 compatible like ati X800 or nvidia 6800. Could the developers give us some insight of how far you can get in graphical greatness with the best current system, beeing a FX Athlon, a 256MB Geforce 6800 ultra something and 1GB ram ?
Post Mon May 02, 2005 8:41 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

This is what i found in another link, (quoted)

World of Gothic:
What will be the system requirements for Gothic 3?

Johann Ertl/Stefan Berger:
The besser the game, the better the graphics. Thanks to continuously adjustable graphic effects, Gothic III will run on an usual computer (e.g.. Win XP/2k 2 GHz + GeForce 3 (not G4MX!) 512 MB RAM or more). However, every gamers is surely aware that more power will allow higher resolutions etc. and therefore make the game "better". You should be on the safe side with this configuration: CPU around 3 GHZ, 512 MB Dual Channel (1 Gig is of course better), a good graphics card like the GeForxe 5900 or 6600GT or the Radeon 9800 Pro or X600, a rather fast HDD and of course a good soundcard.

Many guy's have this spec' now, and of course some do not.
Post Mon May 02, 2005 10:52 pm
nasos_333
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

My question was a bit different though. If you have the above mensioned recommended system, will you be able to play the game in 60fps with EVERYTHING maxed out, in 1280 resolution ?

I just want to know what to get to play the game as good as it gets
Post Tue May 03, 2005 5:44 am
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

quote:
Originally posted by nasos_333
My question was a bit different though. If you have the above mensioned recommended system, will you be able to play the game in 60fps with EVERYTHING maxed out, in 1280 resolution ?

I just want to know what to get to play the game as good as it gets

Just to sort things out. You don't need 60 fps at all, that's just some urban myth. Your brains can't see any difference between framerates when they are higher than say 22-24. After that it's just registered as "fluently".
Did you know that your tv has a framerate of 24?! That's fluent all the time.

So go for 24fps with EVERYTHING maxed out, in 1280 resolution.
Post Tue May 03, 2005 8:36 am
SlamDunk
Village Leader
Village Leader

quote:
Originally posted by Sem
Your brains can't see any difference between framerates when they are higher than say 22-24.

I can't believe you just said that! How people STILL keep telling that you can't see anything above 24fps is beyond my understanding. The old movie/tv fps rules do not apply in the world of computer graphics.

Check out this little program and see it for yourself:

http://personal.inet.fi/atk/kjh2348fs/FPSCompare.zip

It's totally individual how many frames per second looks smooth to you. For example, I can see clear differences between 30fps vs. 60fps vs. 100fps.
Post Tue May 03, 2005 9:31 am
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

This nice little program doesn't undermine my statement at all.

I shall tell you why. In your program you put two different framerates next to eachtother and yes you see a difference.
I wasn't saying that you don't see a difference between 30fps and 60fps. (When isolate that sentence it looks like I did, yes). I was talking about the difference between jerky and fluent.
In that case there is no difference. With 24 or on some machines a little more it seems to go fluent while when it's like 17fps or lower it is really jerky.
Increasing the framerate to 60fps indead makes a difference when you have the other half at 24fps, but it's still fluent. So above 24 your mind just gives it the tag "fluent", whether it's 25fps, 60fps or 1000fps. Without the other half on the screen you wouldn't be able to identify the difference.

You can try it with the same program.

That's what I tried to say. You don't need 60fps to be able to play a game smoothly.
Post Tue May 03, 2005 10:09 am
SlamDunk
Village Leader
Village Leader

I think I'm stepping out of this fps conversation... before it's too late
Post Tue May 03, 2005 11:02 am
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

Ah, come on. It's just started to get fun.

To get back on topic. I don't think this
quote:
Originally posted by interview with Jowood
CPU around 3 GHZ, 512 MB Dual Channel (1 Gig is of course better), a good graphics card like the GeForxe 5900 or 6600GT or the Radeon 9800 Pro or X600, a rather fast HDD and of course a good soundcard.

will be enough to play the game with everything maxed out. With any game you should take the recommended specs as the minimum specs at which the is playable (decent framerate), but when you want more it seems that the computer specs rise exponentially.

Anyway, I'm already saving money for a major upgrader in Q1 2006. Newest video card, more RAM etc. I've played G2 1280x1024 with everything maxed and I want to be able to play G3 also on that resolution.
Post Tue May 03, 2005 2:13 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

My Guess for everything maxed out @ 1280x1024:

P4 3Ghz
1GB Ram
ATI X800 256MB

Depending on what each game does with AI, you may need a higher CPU, but considering the graphics I would say the above specs could easily give you silky framerates at that res.
Post Sat May 07, 2005 10:36 pm
postaldudeleo
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I would say something else.

Gamebryo can do quad cores or multi threading for 4 cores. That is the engine behind Gothic 3. This is from the fact that TES 4 can do quad.

the new gamebry engine is very laggy on a p4 x<3.4 ghz. I have a small demo test of the engine I found on a 'cough' illegal 'cough' site. It does indeed tax your system.

The test was a test but though it ran smoothly on my system, which was
amd 64 fx-53 overclocked to 28 Ghz
saphire x800 xt platinum E

Then I wonder, what about an super cheap system.
Consider this,
celeron D 2.4 ghz overclocked to 3.8 stable
gainward geforce 6800 ultra

And geuss what, at full resolution and full graphics a outdoors scene with 1 npc using radiant AI.........

There was NO difference!

Both systems had 4 gigs of 3200 ram.

top res and full shaders and real time shadows on.

So in conclusion, a crap system with a good video card and a good amount of ram will run just as good as a top end system; with an certain overclock of course.

No need to upgrade from my point of view. Stick up the multiplier on your cpu and your ready for next- gen graphics!!!!!
Post Sat May 07, 2005 11:34 pm