Usergroups
Arcanum, any thoughts?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Jay
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

In the last week I have spent a lot of time playing Arcanum, and really enjoy it. While it does have a lot of problems, so far, I have not encountered any bugs. I noticed a lot of people seem to really hate this game, and would like to ask why.

The things I like:

The atmosphere. I always enjoy RPGs that are set in a new setting. One the things I really enjoy about RPGs is the freedom offered and the chance to try out new things. Fallout was a classic, and made a nice change from all the generic D+D games released. The mixture of technology and magic set in a victorian setting is a nice change.

Character development. A huge amount of options, and a totally different playing experience dependent on sex, alignment, etc. Being able to make a character exactly the way I want, without any idiotic restrictions.

Humour. Can be a very funny game. Running around naked always evokes an amusing response. Sheep in brothels, Bill Gates, and a lot of other entertaining encounters.

What I didn't like.

Character interaction. After Balders Gate 2, my group seem totally lifeless. I miss the random comments and the depth of interaction.

Boring Dungeons. Each dungeon seems the same. Endless twisting and turning, and very few puzzles.

Graphics and Sound. The music, while very good, can get a repetitive, and the towns are often totally silent. The graphics are a bit basic, but I can live with that. Maybe I am just spoiled. The last 2 RPGs I played were balders Gate 2 and Gothic, and both excelled in this area.

Again, I think this is a very good game, and would recommend it. While it may appear dated, the depth within more then makes up for it. With all the Diablo-alikes coming up, it is good to have a game like this. While Neverwinter Nights and Morrowind will be far better, both are a long time away, and Divine Divinity and Arx Fatalis won't be here till next year. So I just hope this game is as big as they say.
Post Sun Sep 09, 2001 10:17 am
HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

i am playing Arcanum for a couple of days now (Level 32 - Fighter). No bugs so far and i am really enjoying the gameplay. It is fun it is complex and u have a lot of options how to play the game.

there is only one thing i don't like:

combat is too easy for me - even on the hardest difficulty setting there's nobody in this game who is/was a challenge (exception: the Master of hand to hand combat and the fire demons).

Hx
Post Sun Sep 09, 2001 4:24 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

You'll see our review of Arcanum this week... - just one thing: it is, in my opinion, one of the better releases this year.

Post Mon Sep 10, 2001 6:26 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Well, I think the game is a good way to kill the time until the release of the games I really look forward to.
Actually the game is very good IMHO
Post Mon Sep 10, 2001 2:29 pm
HiddenOgre
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I just got Arcanum. I think it is a great game. I would highly recomend this game to any RPG fan.
Post Mon Sep 24, 2001 10:57 am
Ulthander
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Playing it for more than on week now I think Arcanum could be one of the best Singleplayer-RPGs ever...

At least if you have it "up and running" which is not as simple as it may sounds

Anyone else here who knows what I mean: 1606 (German Version) ???

Always proud to be a !!!
Post Sat Oct 06, 2001 12:14 pm
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Arcanum: The manual writes that I'm able to distribute the character points on my followers, by turning the "Auto" button off in the their character screens. But when I press the "Auto" button, I get a list of Character profiles, but I can't choose the "No profile" option, or any other for that matter. Do anybody know what I'm doing wrong?
I just want to be able to distribute the character points on my followers!
Post Thu Oct 18, 2001 7:37 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

That is meant to be used if you take a pregenerated character, which have their own level schemes (and believe me... I hacked the game and they ain't great!). Followers will always follow their own leveling script (though you can change that too by hacking the game.)

Though if you want a challenge, I suggest picking an auto-level scheme and running with it. You end up as ineffective as the NPCs you fight.
Post Fri Feb 01, 2002 3:37 pm
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

This is a very good game IMO. The music is excellent, combat is a bit simplified but ok, automapping is about as good as it gets except the dungeons are a little dark, GREAT story and the 'Jules Verne-ish' setting is really unique. Graphics aren't the best, but passable.

My only complaint is inventory management, especially moving items from character to character, the designers really botched this.

But overall well worth the effort.
Post Sun Feb 10, 2002 1:46 pm
Shadowcore
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I really love this game, it is great.
I have played it for over two weeks now and I have a level 55(get the level cap remover from terra-arcanum.com) half-orc, tech(smithy/mechanical), fighter with 20 dex and strength, and very persuasive(master). I am simply invincible .
I have to go to Thanatos now, and by doing lots of(every single one of 'em)sidequests, you can get up to that high a level. Also wander around stuff you don't need to be, like the sewers in Tarant/Caladon, and you'll find fun stuff.

This game is so great because of the freedom, you have more freedom than even the Fallout series give you. Not to forget character development, almost every character you develop is different.
And the original Fallout team created it, and that is a very big plus in my opinion.
Post Mon Feb 18, 2002 11:07 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Level 55? Man... most of my characters clock in at level... oh... 36 or so. I do everything I can, but I use a lot of followers. I do that in any RPG that has the option ... try and make the followers as good as my character. In Arcanum, that's pretty hard (But making a melee character who has Educator helps. Four Expert melee and dodge followers can romp just about anything on auto while I stand back and shout directions.).

I keep meaning to do a solo type character and see if I can breach level 40...

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Mon Feb 18, 2002 1:27 pm
Shadowcore
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I got to level 55 by telling my followers to back off(by pressing F5) in every fight, this means that every single bit of xp you would get from a hit, you will get, because YOU and not your followers, will make the hit.
Oh and I now have 9 followers: Dog, med arachnid, automaton, Gar, Jormund, Raven, Dwarf King, Waromon, Sebastian.

Anybody reading this sig is officially proving my sig to be wrong.
Post Tue Feb 19, 2002 12:41 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Yeah, you can do that, sure... but then what's the point of having them along? Cheer squad? Portable baseball team? Brave Sir Robin's minstrels?

They want to fight, let 'em fight I say. If Magnus explodes into a gory smear because he critically missed with a pyroaxe... well... reload or not.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Tue Feb 19, 2002 8:31 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

So I have option to get this game...
Should I do that?

P. S. Baldurs Gate 2 was too complex for me. IceWind Dale was good, but too "only fighting".
Post Mon Mar 11, 2002 10:25 am
Joey Nipps
Orcan High Command
Orcan High Command

While there is fighting, I think there is enough other variety of play to make it well worth your while. You can (for instance) talk your way through much of the game (if you boost the right attributes) and you can have followers that will do most of your fighting if you like.

Post Mon Mar 11, 2002 1:17 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next