Astonia?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Author Thread
Guybrush Threepwood
High Emperor
High Emperor

Astonia?

is it even worth downloading and trying out?
Post Wed Sep 18, 2002 6:44 am
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Depends on what you are looking for. It is a traditional MMORPG with isometric graphics. I have opened an account myself, and I enjoy the game so far, because it is less level-treadmill than other MMORPGs and more questing and interaction. If you are looking for the latest technology, then do not download it, but if you like these old fashioned MMORPGs, give it a try. At least you have four weeks to decide whether you like it or not, and the client is about 35MB.
Post Wed Sep 18, 2002 6:52 am
Provis
High Emperor
High Emperor

It's a free, and small download and you get a free trial, how could it not be worth trying out.

"Yea, so what I didn't like Planescape: Torment, what are you gonna do about it?" - Provis
Post Wed Sep 18, 2002 7:22 am
pakaraatzi
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

I've been playing it now for about 3 days, and I love it. I really enjoy the atomostphere, and how things work in general. The questing and interaction are definatly nice. There seem to be lots of helpfull/friendly people playing it too, and so its really easy to get help for what ever u need.

Definatly give it a try.

Regards Pakaraatzi
Post Sun Sep 22, 2002 3:24 am
Kendrik
Thin Blue Line
Thin Blue Line

This game makes me think of Ultima-Online Lite. That isn't meant to be an insult it's just UO seems deeper. I suspect that it is because Ultima has been going for so long and has a well established community. I applaud games like this and Ultima that seem to have managed to by pass the leveling treadmill and, in hindsight I should have gone back to Ultima Online as oppose to DAoC but ultimately it is not the game that drew me back but the friends I had made.

So if anyone fancies a different gameing experience (i.e. not level treadmill) try this as the 4 free weeks give you an ideal chance to see if it's for you. (If you like this you'll like UO if you don't then UO isn;t for you either).
~~Champion of the (Unofficial) RPGdot Text Signature Contest 2002~~
Post Tue Sep 24, 2002 4:01 pm
Bach & Baroque
Village Leader
Village Leader

I agree with Kendrik wholeheartedly. UO is a great game, and other MMORPGs pale in terms of depth and richness. I tried DAoC just recently and didn't make it past the trial month. Same with Anarchy (though that was a bit better), as well as Asheron's Call 1. I found myself horribly bored, not sensing any purpose in playing them. While UO may not have the technological advancements of DAoC, it is still quite pretty for an isometric game, and the depth far supercedes any other online game out there.
Post Tue Sep 24, 2002 4:33 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I played Astonia 3 for about four hours before I got a sense of 'ok... been there, done that' with regards to leveling up and such.

It ran really, really slow on my machine through my cable modem connection for whatever reason. There was no roleplaying going on where I was (which was probably newbie-ville)... except me. And everyone looked the same (a few exceptions). I found the color adapting command and customized myself right away. Dare to be different! A black haired fighter!

Maybe I was in the wrong area or doing the wrong thing (hacking up 36 skeletons to give a skull to a guy)... but the only redeeming quality I found was being able to say.

"I command you to trade with me, your lord and master, this very instant Fred!"

and he did.

Long as you have command word and merchant name somewhere in the sentence, you can say anything.

But harrassing the good merchants of the town didn't keep my interest long. Especially once I figured out that my two handed sword was a big mistake because dungeons are dark and I can't hold a torch when using a two handed sword.

I like two handed swords...

I like seeing where I'm going...

Not fair to have to pick!

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Mon Sep 30, 2002 5:29 pm
Zakhal
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Are you sure its not...Asstonia?

Sorry, couldnt resist.
Post Fri Oct 18, 2002 7:34 pm