Usergroups
Games Like Gothic
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
MC_Renzy
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Are there any games out there that are like Gothic either in the making or already released? Im not talking about rpgs like baldurs gate(garbage!), but games that have the same type of perspective. Also, perferrably non mutliplayer. Ive seen Marrowmind and I'm not impressed. The characters look ridiculus and the game looks like it was made for 8 year olds. Anyways, anyone know of any games that are similar to Gothic?
Post Thu Nov 22, 2001 3:54 am

Yeah, I think Bethesda Softworks is targetting a much younger audience than Gothic. I think it might be because of the Zelda and Mario franchise for Nintendo and the perhaps the Ico demographic from Playstation. They are trying to steal some of this market share.

Little kids eat that stuff up, though... and parents never tire of searching for the perfect electronical babysitter.

The closest thing I can think of right now is Blade of Darkness for the PC that might be close to Gothic... but it is MUCH more action oriented than RPG.

I wish they would make another Fallout with the 3rd person perspective. I am growing weary of all these kiddie games coming out these days.
Post Thu Nov 22, 2001 4:02 am

If you think that Bethesda is targeting a younger audience, then you obviously have not played the previous Elder Scrolls game Daggerfall... That game had more "adult" stuff in it then any other RPG I have ever seen (I have not played Gothic yet though)...

Morrowind is not going to have nudity in is like Daggerfall did, but I think that saying that it is made for kids it is pushing the envelope more than a little bit... In fact I would have to argue that it is a complete lie stated by someone who probably have never even touched an Elder Scrolls game in his entire life!

I think that the no-nudity policy in Morrowind is unfortunate, but there is
more that separates a game for kids from one for adults than the presence of naked skin...

I allso find the statement "The characters look ridiculus and the game looks like it was made for 8 year olds" completely ridiculous, but I realize that it is a value statement and everyones values is his owns... I can only say that I strongly disagree...

I would very much like to hear the reasoning behind your opinions... What is it that you think is childish? Have you ever played any of the previous games? How long have you followed the development of Morrowind? What about the graphics is it that you object abuot?

personally I can't even begin to understand how anyone could come to the conclusions that you are expressing and I would believe that I am quite a bit older and know quite of a lot more about the Elder Scrolls series and Morrowind than either of you...

Chirox
Post Thu Nov 22, 2001 11:10 am

MC_Renzy
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

I've seen the preview with that dorky guy talking in the background explaining the game, and it looks like something I just wouldn't be interested in. The game looks like it skips alot(fps Ex.Thief2) and that is something I seriously can't stand while playing a game. The graphics arn't great but thats not really important to me, hell I still play super nes rpg games. But this game just looks like another wizardry 8, which I very much hated by the way. Who knows though, I may be wrong and the game might kick total ass, but from everything I've seen so far, leads me to believe it's a piece of shit. Everyone is entitled to there own opinion, just remember to keep that in mind before you reply. By the way, I don't give two shits weather you like the game or not, I'm just asking if anyone knows of any games that are like Gothic.
Post Thu Nov 22, 2001 4:45 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Most similar to Gothic is Ultima 9. Indirect competition. Of course Gothic is better because it came out a year later and PB avoided many of EAs mistakes.
Post Thu Nov 22, 2001 6:12 pm
Jamison
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

.h

Last edited by Jamison on Sat May 04, 2002 11:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Nov 22, 2001 6:39 pm
MC_Renzy
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Hey Gorath, is there a demo for ultima 9? I did a search for ultima on fileplanet and all the sequels are in roman numerals. What's nine in roman numerals? I shoud know this, but they never teached us it at my school.
Post Thu Nov 22, 2001 6:53 pm
MC_Renzy
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

I just called eb twice in the past 3 hours an the stupid asses are still unpacking the boxes from there shipment. The damn guy couldnt even take a quick look to see if he has Gothic or not. Going to try back in an hour. They best not still be unpacking or Im going over there and ripping open all there boxes. I can't take this shit no more.
Post Thu Nov 22, 2001 6:59 pm
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

@ MC_Renzy: 9 = IX

The Roman numerals from 1-10:
- I = 1
- II = 2
- III = 3
- IV = 4
- V = 5
- VI = 6
- VII = 7
- VIII = 8
- IX = 9
- X = 10

Post Thu Nov 22, 2001 7:30 pm
MC_Renzy
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Thanks Moriendor
Post Thu Nov 22, 2001 7:31 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

@MC_Renzy:

Here is a link with a short tutorial and a converter. 5 minutes and you know all this stuff.
http://www.novaroma.org/via_romana/numbers.html

I wouldnīt bother with the Ultima:Ascension demo. The game should be on budget now. Donīt forget to patch it. It was extremely buggy.

[ This Message was edited by: Gorath on 2001-11-22 13:47 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Gorath on 2001-11-22 18:48 ]
Post Thu Nov 22, 2001 7:46 pm
FetishFool
High Emperor
High Emperor

Gothic is a very underground RPG game.
And they are over 1000 RPGs being developed and released at any one time.

There are probably dozens of RPGs like Gothic, we've just never heard of them, yet.

The only place that I've seen anything about this game is at FilePlanet.com. Which is sad.
Post Fri Nov 23, 2001 12:56 am
Chirox
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Like I have previously said everyone is entitled to their own oppinion...

Dorky guys are always talking in the background in every commercial or feature display of any game... I have no idea what skipping alot means and I have never playes Thief 2 so I can't say I have any oppinion about that... The only similaritys I can see is that supposedly MW tries to give sneaking greater value (but more in a Deus Ex kind of way) and that it plays well in 1st person... I hated wizardry 8 as well and MW does not seem to be anything like that...

If you say that the graphics seem to suck in MW I would really like to know what you think does not suck... No CRPG has ever had the kind of advanced graphics that MW has, all of them included... You must really hate Gothics graphics if that is your opinion..

Every game in existence boasts about the easy controls, and if they can't then they shut up about it. Bad controls does not sell games... MW is probably more directed to the Elder Scrolls crowd then a Harry Potter crowd (even though they probably want to sell to those too, as does PB and every other creator of games in the world)... ES has a very large and hardcore fan group and to go away from them would be financial ruin for Bethesda and they know it...

Now you don't have to be fans of ES or MW, but I find what you say about that game just as stupid and anoying as all those posts about the "poor controls" in Gothic (they are not bad once you have learned them as we all know)... They are just uninformed oppinions of people who just does not know what they are talking about and you are going to miss out on a great gaming experience... MW the ONLY other game that is really similar to Gothic where it counts...
Post Fri Nov 23, 2001 8:44 am
artos
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

To all !!!
Gothic is the best game i played ever.
censorship or not !
that`s for sure.

artos #)
Post Fri Nov 23, 2001 9:47 am
Bourrie
Village Leader
Village Leader

Amen to that Artos! And the game isn't censored at all (giving the bathtube-girl a bikini is not cutting down things but adding things!

Post Fri Nov 23, 2001 2:34 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next