Poll Results and New Poll
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Poll Results and New Poll

Last poll we looked at the preferred single element in a cRPG. To be fair, this is a difficult question and obviously depends on the implementation from game to game. Still, the results are interesting with Character Development (30%) coming in a handy winner over Exploration (24%), then Story (20%) and NPC interaction (17%).
<br>
<br>Probably more interesting is combat with a lowly 4% and loot only 3%. Does this mean most RPGs have uninteresting combat or people play RPGs for other reasons? Why, then, are most RPGs extremely combat and loot dependant? Is it merely the ease of using combat as a timesink/filler in design or have we underrated the appeal of combat?
<br>
<br>It's also fascinating to look at recent successful games...KotOR might score particularly well on Story and NPC Interaction but much less so on Exploration and Character Development - more scope to explore might have made it even more successful.
<br>
<br>This next poll is about character development systems. Since there are so many different types and hybrids, we've stuck to a few basic types for clarity but feel free to comment on your favourite system!
Post Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:02 am
XVampireX
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Heya people, Since this poll came out with Character Development winning, then I would like to ask you: What game has the best Character Development, in your opinion?

As for you Dhruin: I think most of the time it is the perfect mix of all gameplay elements that makes the game (In this case, the RPG) winning, not just relying on only 1 element. So also based on that poll we can see that:

Having Character Development (The element which decides whether the player can customize their character to their own gameplay style, and if the game is single player only, or the single player campaign of it, then so that the players story will be nicely developed, not too fast but not too slow, so that the player will see things happening, yet the player doesn't understand what happens and after several moments into the game the player would start to better understand what is going on in the game world) at top priority for game design is an utmost, following is Exploration (The freedom to move anywhere in the game world without any or very limited restrictions on movement within it, the Elder Scrolls series as an example for this, also a good Map [Game World] Design is a very good feature to have), Story I already mentioned in Character Development, as it is a part of it, though it's always good to have a main and general storyline to the game to better understand what the game is about and in what settings it is. NPC Interaction came out last, I think in my opinion because there is not much need for NPC interaction in an RPG game (Or at least those that have been created so far), so the player understands that they can do much without the NPCs, this is why Game Designers should work on this, so that the game world will be much more full and alive, with rumors spreading through the land, and players may reveal these rumors by talking to NPCs, also, because NPCs don't evolve, as in, they don't really change what they say, most of the time it is 1 out of the 4 or maybe 5 speeches that they give you, very limiting.
I think Game Design should concentrate on NPC Interaction more and perhaps create some sort of link between NPCs and Events that occur in the game world, however, not to over exadurate though, like in Fable, there was TOO much of a link between NPCs and events, things that were happening so far have been known in ALL cities, it wasn't fun at all. So be reasonable with how much of a link you put into the NPC interaction and events.

So basically, this is my rant. As for me? I am going to put emphasis equally on all gameplay aspects, not too much on any direction (As in, more than others).
Post Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:28 am
Hindukönig
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

I couldn't go for one. I think I don't prefer a specific character development system, but I hate it when proceeding to the next level is just a matter of slashing monsters. And I dislike games where the character learns new things by obviously god-given wisdom ... *yawn* - I prefer games with teachers, like Ultima 7 or Underworld 2, or Gothic; of course, this requires interesting NPCs.
Morrowind did some hybrid-thingie in this regard ... but the overall solution wasn't satisfying: one's too tempted to just buy 10 skill-units to proceed to the next level, because getting money was just too damn easy. It's funny how high the "real RPG" feeling is, just as long as you can control yourself not to jump all the times and start hunting monsters inpite of being a merchant.
Well, I just can mention games where the character development system wasn't going on my nerves all the time, but I'm not entirely sure this was *because* of the system ...
Post Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:17 am
GothicGothicness
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Can I vote wizardry? I've probably spent more time creating and developing characters in the wizardy games, than I've spent playing through some other games!

Somehow the system in the wizardry games feel superior to any other.
Post Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:11 pm
Allen63

I think a problem with Polls, is definition of terms. We do not all attach the same meanings to the same words.

For examples:

I think the definition of "Character Development" may be an issue in this poll. To some people it refers to how the "story character interactions" are handled to give personality to characters. In that sense, "Character Development" is akin to "Story" in the poll -- but, is NOT a mechanic of the game character leveling up process.

Also, maybe combat is taken as a given in an RPG. So, most people focus on other aspects in the Poll. However, a combatless RPG may not work for most people.
Post Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:20 pm

I think it's pretty safe to say that combat and loot aren't rated as important by crpg players, and thus visitors at RPGDot, as by those targeted by the recent slew of action rpgs. Sure, you're allowed to like the Diablo, Sacred and Dungeon Siege franchises even if you're a "serious" crpg'er - but the target market for these games are probably those less likely to pick up a non-action crpg, i e the non-crpg crowd.

As for what character development systems that I liked the most, on that'd I have to say Fallout. I've always been a fan of skillbased systems where levelling actually matters - i e you get to pick and plan your advancement, rather than some minor stat point/feat/ability. I also remember thinking Daggerfall was pretty interesting in the char dev regard, and Morrowind as well, albeit to a somewhat lesser degree (as it couldn't keep me playing).

My two top choices would've been exploration and npc interaction. I always look through every nook and crannie and enjoy personality in dialogue, hence having the Ultimas VII's as some of my top games.
Post Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:55 pm