61%
 61%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 18

Author Thread
Patriot
Small Tiger
Small Tiger

Questions about life.

Some times I wonder about life.Why I've been created and what's the purpose of the life.I also wonder if the people around me feel the same with me(I mean pain taste of the food and that)like me.I also wonder what was before the univerce and if there's a god why have he created us.Also what's over the god and how he created himself.I'm confused with all those questions.

I'm sure that you have asked yourselves those questions and talked about them with other people.
Post Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:52 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Life in and of itself has no purpose and no meaning. It's the ultimate random numbers game. You are alive because your parents had sex... nothing more and nothing less.

There is no more purpose to a human life than the life of a dandelion, or goldfish, or bear. Is there a god who created all this? Is that truly as important as the fact that all this is here?

Only the actions you choose in life have purpose or meaning... because we assign them purpose and meaning. The biological imperative is to reproduce so the species survives... but any one of us is no longer important to that process. Nature is done with us ... we are perfect animals.

(And before anyone says anything about how other animals don't destroy their environment I invite them to look at termites, locusts, beavers, and a host of other creatures. Just because we're best at it doesn't mean we're alone at it.)

So since we have no more evolution left and a strong enough population base to weather anything short of the destruction of the planet even nature denies us granted meaning.

We are truly on our own for figuring it out. And since each human, like each other animal, is unique and each human's super-complex brain even more so, you are truly on your own for figuring it out. Getting married, having children, even making money ... they're not meaning or purpose: they're cultural directive. Your true purpose and meaning must come from within.. and if it matches one of those cultural directives that's great. If it doesn't that's still great.

Just remember you're not free to pursue your purpose if it brings harm to others.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Tue Aug 10, 2004 2:56 pm
Kiwi Boy
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by EverythingXen
Nature is done with us ... we are perfect animals.

I hope this is not a sarcasm.
Post Tue Aug 10, 2004 3:19 pm
Darrius Cole
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

My observations on the purpose of life. (Without religious considerations)

1. To get your genes into the next generation. - Have children.
2. To get your ideas into the next generation. - Teach someone else to accept your ideas as their own.

All human considerations and actions go to one or both of these ideas.
Post Tue Aug 10, 2004 3:50 pm
X-dANGEr
Unknown Destiny
Unknown Destiny

My thought of life is that it is a test from god to ceperate the faithful from the non-faith people.
Post Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:02 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

quote:
Originally posted by Kiwi Boy
quote:
Nature is done with us ... we are perfect animals.

I hope this is not a sarcasm.

It definately is not a sarcasm. We are perfect animals. We can get food whenever we want. We can get shelter whenever we want. We can adapt to survive anywhere and have the lowest mortality rate on the planet.

We have the luxary of sitting around on computers getting fat. All animals want to get fat... but we can do it and get away with it.

We won. No other animal comes close (except monkeys and apes, which is only natural). Even then they'll never get to be us because we'll kill them long before they do... like lions kill cheetah kittens.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

Post Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:06 pm
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

Life is a chemical reaction. Complex? Kind of, but in the end nothing more than atoms working with atoms.

Saying that humans have no room (or need) for evolution is a completely unfounded statement. Simply comparing to previous and current species on THIS planet, doesn't make one able to see what perfectionism is (if there even is such a thing). Evolution has not stopped with the creation of humans.

A human is still an animal driven largely by instinct and emotion, living a short life, and in physical traits often VERY inferior to other animals.
Human's probably couldn't (nor have they ever, despite having devloped some of the most deadly poisons in the world to do this) destroy or stopped a species of insects (because in many ways insects are far more adaptable than us).

"Bugs are not going to inherit the earth. They own it right now."
Post Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:38 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Evolution is miserly: We don't have the strength of the other simians because we don't need it. And we don't need it. Being strong enough to snap a tree trunk didn't get us to the information/space age... being smart enough to overcome that tree trunk despite a physical limitation did.

As for inferior physical capabilites... humans have one of the greatest land based animal staminas on the planet. A fully trained marathon runner can keep up a brisk pace for hours of jogging. Afterward we don't need to eat a quarter of our weight in food to recover... a quick nap and a nibble of food and we can do it again.

Other species, such as wolves, can run longer ... but we run most efficiently.

Also our spacial perception and hand-eye co-ordination is remarkable in the animal kingdom.

Evolution is no longer neccessary and so, like the shark, I would bet we are done evolving. We are apex predators the likes the world has never seen. We out-wolf the wolf by factors of hundreds... able to form and manage hunting/social groups of hundreds or thousands without appreciable effort. We out-shark the shark because with training and our technology we can hunt down and kill whatever we want, whenever we want, from almost any range.

And short life-spans? Hardly. We have elevated ourselves to the position of longest living mammal on earth. Even a human in the wild will live about 35 years... which is pretty long for a mammal in the wild.

Year by year we get closer to removing natural selection from affecting us. Even now un-natural selection (car accidents, walking into traffic, suicide, murder, other man-made casualties) is more responsible for killing people before they're of age to breed (cancer/heart failure/stroke doesn't count: it *can* kill the young but it mostly kills the very old ... age 20 or more which in the rest of the animal kingdom would have birthed 5 to 8 young and fathered probably three to five times that).

Tying it back to the original topic ... what biological meaning there is to life (procreate) hasn't been good enough for people for centuries now. We really do have to find our own.

Post Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:39 pm
Kiwi Boy
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Hexy
Life is a chemical reaction. Complex? Kind of, but in the end nothing more than atoms working with atoms.

Life is just a bunch of atoms interacting with each other. Wow, is it that simple?

@EverythingXen: Technology is one thing. But, "we are still driven by emotion and instincts." Let us pick one of our instincts: aggressive desires for materials. Is it one of the "perfect" animals' flaws?

Last edited by Kiwi Boy on Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:44 pm
Toaster
Bread Alert
Bread Alert

I feel that life is it's own purpose, and that religion is something that was invented by people to have a good explanation for all the strange things that happens in nature.

Tabbrowser Extensions
DictionarySearch
Post Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:59 pm
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:

Evolution is miserly: We don't have the strength of the other simians because we don't need it. And we don't need it. Being strong enough to snap a tree trunk didn't get us to the information/space age... being smart enough to overcome that tree trunk despite a physical limitation did.

Errr... so, wouldn't a more perfect animal have both traits?

Intelligence is NOT everything, even though humans pride themselves with that delusion.

quote:

As for inferior physical capabilites... humans have one of the greatest land based animal staminas on the planet. A fully trained marathon runner can keep up a brisk pace for hours of jogging. Afterward we don't need to eat a quarter of our weight in food to recover... a quick nap and a nibble of food and we can do it again.

Other species, such as wolves, can run longer ... but we run most efficiently.

Monkeys, wolves, pigs and so forth still contain far more muscle and pain-endurance than humans. Animals one third of our size (volume) are still more than three times as strong as us. Our smell, hearing and reflexes are pathetic compared to tigers, dogs etc.
Our reproduction rates are still quite low.

quote:

And short life-spans? Hardly. We have elevated ourselves to the position of longest living mammal on earth.

MAMMALS, yah. Compare to turtles, bacteria and so forth.

quote:

Evolution is no longer neccessary and so, like the shark, I would bet we are done evolving. We are apex predators the likes the world has never seen. We out-wolf the wolf by factors of hundreds... able to form and manage hunting/social groups of hundreds or thousands without appreciable effort. We out-shark the shark because with training and our technology we can hunt down and kill whatever we want, whenever we want, from almost any range.

You see what humans can do today and conclude that it cannot be made more effectively. Isn't it infact just troublesome to require social effort to hunt, when it could be done by individuals? There's ALWAYS room for improvement, the problem is, humans cannot improve themselves beyond a certain point.
Especially in our basic psychological aspects, we aren't much further than other animals.

quote:

Year by year we get closer to removing natural selection from affecting us. Even now un-natural selection (car accidents, walking into traffic, suicide, murder, other man-made casualties) is more responsible for killing people before they're of age to breed (cancer/heart failure/stroke doesn't count: it *can* kill the young but it mostly kills the very old ... age 20 or more which in the rest of the animal kingdom would have birthed 5 to 8 young and fathered probably three to five times that).

I would question the validity of attempts to try and separate man from nature... The selection only change forms.

Diseases still account for quite a large chunk of global deaths (AIDS and such). Same thing with swarms of insects, which we are still at the mercy of, even WITH our oh-so-great intelligence.

quote:
Originally posted by Kiwi Boy

Life is just a bunch of atoms interacting with each other. Wow, is it that simple?

Simple? Compared to what? I find it quite complex.
Post Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:13 pm
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

1 cell in our bodies is more complex than any machine or city we humans have ever created. They have a definite structure with purpose.

Just like we do.
Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:52 pm
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

I want prehensile feet, and I want them now!
Post Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:32 pm
Darrius Cole
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

Another comment (without religious consideratons)

So many points...My two cents on a few of them.
To say that life has no purpose and that we are simple here because our parents had sex is not a complete answer. We don't know that life has no purpose, and it does not answer the question "why."

The term "perfect animal" is abstract. How do you know what perfect is?

I also want to point out that because we lose more youth to man-made causes than natural one does not mean that people have stopped evolving. It simply means that the criteria for natural selection or rejection have changed. You should also note that death is not the only means of natural rejection. People who cannot procreate are selected for rejection as well.

You can not separate man from nature. Humans are a part of the system, whether we like it or not.

Evolution does not reward perfection anyway. It rewards the strongest. That often is the species with one obscure trait that gives it a competitive advantage. For people, that one obscure advantage is Super-Animal intelligence. Which brings me to my next point.
quote:
Intelligence is NOT everything, even though humans pride themselves with that delusion.
Intelligence may not be everything, but it is the single most important trait that a species can have. So much so that it overwhelms any and all qualities other life is truly subjected to the test of survival of the fittest.
quote:
Same thing with swarms of insects, which we are still at the mercy of, even WITH our oh-so-great intelligence.
If man-kind wanted to rid the world of insects, the hard part would be getting other people to agree that we should get rid of all insects everywhere. The insects themselves would offer relatively no resistance at all. They would just react we could use intelligence to predict how they would react, and that sense predict the future and kill them.

The limitation comes when we engage other people. No animal offers any real resistance. The eradication of disease is difficult because they hide in people.
Post Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:55 pm
Wooper
City Guard
City Guard

Sometimes I wonder the same thing asked here....

I know like the general purpose of life itself is to reproduce.. to keep your species alive..

with humans its greed and money... i wanna get rich.. i want this.. i want that... etc.
this goes for 99% of humans...
of course most deny it..
but this is just because money rules our world.. and that is just another discussion...

Don't like it?

I don't care.
Post Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:10 am

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next