Usergroups
How do I buy things?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
d95err
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

How do I buy things in shops? I realize that you can put the things you want to buy, and the things you want to sell in the middle of the screen, but then what? How do you do the actual trade?

Feels really stupid not to figure this out, but the interface is really NOT intuitive. Trying to invent your own way of doing things instead of sticking to a conventional interface is a classic, but unfortunately too common mistake.
Post Sat Oct 13, 2001 5:59 pm
Lugorgo(theGermanGothicer
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Hi!
You have to set both on the same price (like 14-14) then press enter!

Post Sat Oct 13, 2001 6:02 pm
d95err
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thank you.

Has anyone noticed that whenever a company really stesses that their user interface is *intuitive*, is usually means that it's *not*...
Post Sat Oct 13, 2001 6:05 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

quote:

On 2001-10-13 13:05, d95err wrote:
Thank you.

Has anyone noticed that whenever a company really stesses that their user interface is *intuitive*, is usually means that it's *not*...

Nowadays itīs impossible to sell a game without an "intuitive" interface, so every game has it. Iīm sure from the perspective of the guy who developed it, the controls are very intuitive.

quote:

Feels really stupid not to figure this out, but the interface is really NOT intuitive. Trying to invent your own way of doing things instead of sticking to a conventional interface is a classic, but unfortunately too common mistake.

Imho this is true for the trading-interface and the savegamehandling, but absolutely wrong for combat and movement.
Gothicīs controls definately are nonintuive, because you have to _learn_ them. But my personal experience is that after 1 or 2 hours movement, inventory and combat become automatic. Meaning you donīt have to think about it, you simply _do_ it, *without wasting time*.
I personally think these, most important, parts of the interface are far better than average. So it was correct to implement them this way instead of limiting themselves to a "standard"=intuitive=mediocre interface.

btw., Iīm sure you found out how to trade 1/10/100 items. If not, simply ask.
Post Sat Oct 13, 2001 7:10 pm
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

@Gorath Commoner: I see you are from Germany! Do you are in the german Gothic forums, too? I'm in the World of Gothic (WOG) forum!
Post Sat Oct 13, 2001 7:18 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

quote:

On 2001-10-13 14:18, Lugorgo(theGermanGothicer) wrote:
@Gorath Commoner: I see you are from Germany! Do you are in the german Gothic forums, too? I'm in the World of Gothic (WOG) forum!

I know you are. The WoG forums are pretty boring nowadays, too much spamming, so I went here. On WoG I used a different alias and was rather inactive.
Post Sat Oct 13, 2001 7:30 pm
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Now the Moderators want to kick all spammers so there won't be much spamms anymore. But now there is not much to answer in WOG so I answer here, too!
Post Sat Oct 13, 2001 7:36 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

I like the discussions with peolple from all over the world. These boards are very international, and most people here know many different CRPGs, in different languages and from different cultural perspectives.

btw., the release date you wanted to know is 11/15/2001.

Post Sat Oct 13, 2001 7:48 pm
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Thank you!

But what is: CRPGs???
Post Sat Oct 13, 2001 7:57 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

C=Computer. The rest should be clear
Post Sat Oct 13, 2001 8:05 pm
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I Know that RPG in German means "Rollenspiel" but I don't understand what the whole thing means!
Post Sun Oct 14, 2001 1:01 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

CRPG="Computerrollenspiel".
RPG does not necessarily include a computer. Ever heard of pen&paper, LARP, and so on?

For example D&D, DSA, Vampire on PC are all licensed products based upon pen&paper RPGs.

Post Sun Oct 14, 2001 3:53 pm
d95err
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:

Iīm sure from the perspective of the guy who developed it, the controls are very intuitive.

This is definately one of the most common mistakes in interface design - "this is intuitive for *me*. However, you need to do something that is intuitive for everyone else.

The most stupid way to "defend" a bad interface is by claiming that it actually is good, but the user is not.

It should be quite obvious that if an ordinary user (e.g. me) can't figure the whole thing out in 5 minutes, then its a bad interface - period.

quote:

btw., Iīm sure you found out how to trade 1/10/100 items. If not, simply ask.

Acually not Kind of fed up with the demo though - you get a lot of quests, but most of them seems to require that you to go outside the demo area.
Post Sun Oct 14, 2001 11:39 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

quote:
This is definately one of the most common mistakes in interface design - "this is intuitive for *me*. However, you need to do something that is intuitive for everyone else.

The point I was up to is that "intuive interface, blabla" is simply a nonargument, because every game _must_ at least claim to have it. Of course most games donīt deliver here.

quote:
The most stupid way to "defend" a bad interface is by claiming that it actually is good, but the user is not.
It should be quite obvious that if an ordinary user (e.g. me) can't figure the whole thing out in 5 minutes, then its a bad interface - period.

I have to disagree here. You are mixing up some things. Intuitive means "you know without learning". Examples of intuitive
interfaces are virtually all FPS. They are standardized since Wolfenstein.
Intuitive says absolutely nothing about good or bad! I personally prefer a nonintuitive interface if itīs easy to learn and faster than the standards. Talking about Gothic Iīm happy PB chose not to waste hours of my time with masses of unnecessary mouseclicks.

Post Mon Oct 15, 2001 12:04 am