Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Play the game without selling to the creeper?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

He's a really rich Scamp in Caldera.
Post Sun Jun 23, 2002 2:02 am
Scrivener
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

I think I might go use "The Creeper". I found I could sell stuff worth tens of thousands to normal merchants by bartering it for arrows then selling them back six hundred at a time. Hardly realistic though, and a total waste of time.

Anyway, even without The Creeper my equipment is much too powerful, and I think I'll have to do something about it. (Already maximum difficulty.)

I guess I'll have to go edit the monster hit points. Is that the best solution, do you think? I suppose I could just downgrade my equipment, though it goes against my powergaming instincts.

But I think I'll use The Creeper just so I can enchant some fun stuff, rather than powergaming stuff.

In fact, maybe I'll enchant some amusing weapons and armor with less power but more entertainment value.
Post Tue Jun 25, 2002 3:47 am
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Then tell me where to find a constant effect glowing (light spell) ebony shoulder pad? Or a constant effect water breathing whatever? I thought you had to buy those things for an insane amount of money.

Find a golden saint, kill it, soul trap it, get ebony shoulder pad, buy a light spell, enchant it with light spell, select "constant effect" as your enchantment type. Done.

Find a golden saint, kill it, soul trap it, get a ring, buy a waterbreathing spell, enchant it with waterbreathing spell, select "constant effect" as your enchantment type. Done.
Post Tue Jun 25, 2002 4:20 am
Scrivener
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

quote:
Find a golden saint, kill it, soul trap it, get ebony shoulder pad, buy a light spell, enchant it with light spell, select "constant effect" as your enchantment type. Done.

Find a golden saint, kill it, soul trap it, get a ring, buy a waterbreathing spell, enchant it with waterbreathing spell, select "constant effect" as your enchantment type. Done.

Yeah, but how high does your Enchant skill have to be? Mine's in the seventies, but I still always seem to fail trying to enchant stuff with constant effect.

-fixed your quote
Post Tue Jun 25, 2002 4:24 am
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

I always thought Creeper was a bug. Like a NPC they put in the game during testing phase but forgot to take it out (kindda like "have a nice day " crash messages).

The alternative I considered (and I thought that would be very cool) may be that as he is a lesser demon, he may be buying all this stuff for the army of the dead you're supposed to face at the end. Can you imagine how cool it would be if there were 20 undead things you had to fight at the end and they were equipped solely with things you sell to Creeper throughout the game?
Post Thu Jun 27, 2002 4:53 pm
txiabxyooj
Fox Spirit
Fox Spirit

who was the band that wrote "don't fear the creeper?" just kidding...
"The origin of things, if things have an origin, cannot be revealed to me, if revealed at all, until I have travelled very far from it, and many revolutions of the sun must precede my first dawn. The light as it appears hides the candle." --Santayana
=member of the worshippers of the written word=
=member of the Non-flamers' guild=
Post Thu Jun 27, 2002 7:27 pm
FireAnt
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

If you downloaded the patch the Robe of St. Roris is no longer cnstant effect..(there is a bunch of people blowing up in the spoiler forum about this join them if you want) and I use the Creeper mainly because t's quicker then rnning all over town to sell stuff because the other barterers are broke.
Post Thu Jun 27, 2002 7:51 pm
Glorfindel
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

The Creeper is hardly unbalancing - because he has only 5000 gold and won't buy everything. That means that it takes over twenty days of selling stuff to him to buy that nice set of glass armour in Ghostgate and another twenty days to generate the cash to enchant a sword or two. One of the great advantages is that he does keep everything so one can retreive something later if necessary. As I don't steal stuff - goes against my character's character - the Creeper is indispensible to me ever completing the game.
Post Wed Jul 03, 2002 4:09 am
Mattias Kreku
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

The only merchant I regularly use is one in one of the camps. He holds 9000 gold. Of course, he only buys equipment at 30% of their normal value, but that's ok to me because I usually carry over 100 diamonds/rubies/emeralds and by selling them to him ONE BY ONE I increase my mercantile skill immensely while getting a lot of cash. He's a stubborn bastard though. It's almost impossible to barter with him.
Post Wed Jul 03, 2002 2:53 pm
Zaphod
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:

Why not buy 1 mana practice spells? They give the best skill increases, especially if you don't want to use your spells in dangerous situations.

Why not tape down the control key while standing behind a motionless NPC? It gives the best Sneak increases -- especially if you have not pumped up your sneak skill and agility.

Why not hit the Auto-run key and point your character into a wall while you go eat dinner?

I'm not trying to restart anything here, I know we're not arguing game balance, but I just can't keep my mouth shut. There is a fundemental difference between the tactics quoted above and selling to creeper or the mudcrab. I did the tape-down-the-sneak-key thing overnight once, and my sneak was up to lvl 92 the next day. I immediately restored a savegame and never used those explitation techniques again.

There are ways to exploit all merchants so you can dump expensive items, but the money builds up much faster with creeper and mudcrab (sell creeper something worth 5K... rest 24 hrs... buy the item back, now he has 10K... sell something worth 10K... rest 24 hrs... buy 10K worth of stuff, now he has 15K... etc...) I don't use that tactic either, but it's there.

However, while I don't specifically seek him out every time I need to dump loot, I have no problem selling to Creeper. If going to Caldera is convenient, I'll stop in and make some quick cash. He is a legitimate part of the game, and specifically not selling to him seems odd to me. I know a guy downtown who has great prices on computer parts. I won't always take the time to make the trip from my suburban home, but if I'm close-by and I need something, I won't NOT go there because the prices are TOO good, of course I'll buy where it's cheapest.

And if you're willing to trek all the way out to the mudcrab, you deserve the 10K as far as I'm concerned.

In the end, you should play the game however you want; that's what the developers intended. Hell, go into the editor and create the "Every enemy within 5 feet of me dies a hideous and instant death" ring if you like, it's your game. Or if you feel you need to hamstring yourself to make the game more of a challenge, that's also your right.

It's a hell of a game no matter what, isn't it?

Cheers,

-Z
Post Thu Aug 15, 2002 10:09 pm
Mephisto
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

SPOILER!!!

The creeper is a merchant with 5k gold, who sells/buys item at value. So you need no personality or merchantile skill at all, therefor making it WAY too easy to gain money. He lives in a house (opposite of the inn) on the 2nd floor. He is a scamp, and cannot be persuaded.
Post Thu Aug 15, 2002 10:37 pm
FlipMoeJack
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Who is the mudcrab merchant?
Post Fri Aug 16, 2002 3:31 am
Spawnster
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

it's up to u to play the game....i sell some of my stuff to him because 98% of traders are broke. creeper is not the only one that has tons of money...there's the mudcrab trader, a trader in 1 of the camps etc. so it's up to you. the developers purposely put them there to give u a choice. so it's up to you. no right or wrong.
Post Fri Aug 16, 2002 7:08 am
Zaphod
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

The Mudcrab

There is a mudcrab east of Vivec, on a small island right beside some Dwemer ruins. He looks like a normal mudcrab, and is labelled like all the others (just "mudcrab") when you mouse over him, but he won't attack you and you can talk to him. This mudcrab is drunk, and like Creeper, he has no disposition so there is no bartering involved - he buys stuff at full price - and he has 10000gp instead of the 5000gp Creeper has.

The only drawback is the trip. It involves a lot of water walking or swimming through waters populated by Slaughterfish and Dreugh. That's why I said that anyone who makes the trip deserves the money. I can understand why he was put in such a remote location, although some people have bypassed this inconvenience by making mods that include teleport doors that will take you directly to the mudcrab, which is a bit much IMHO. And really... If you're going to go through the trouble of making a mod, why not just add your own merchant somewhere and give him 50K or however much money you like?

-Z
Post Fri Aug 16, 2002 8:25 pm
Zaphod
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Woops

Shoulda quoted the question. That last post was in response to FlipMoeJack.
Post Fri Aug 16, 2002 8:27 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next