View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
Neh
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Locks and Traps?

Hi, relatively new player here...

I was wondering if I could possibly get away with not having any character in my party with Locks and Traps skill. I've started a few games and have gotten far enough to see ways to get around not having this skill (poseur's cap, recruit certain RPCs, cast certain spells). Is it feasible to rely on these for the entire game? I'm worried that I'll either get stuck somewhere or get tired of going through hoops every time I need to get past a lock or trap.

Thanks for any info.
Post Tue Sep 24, 2002 8:45 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

You don't need it. Especially if you have multiple characters who can cast the knock spell.
Post Tue Sep 24, 2002 10:04 pm
Bilbo
High Emperor
High Emperor

You don't need it, but it will speed things up at times. I can think of 1 area where there about 16 items to be unlocked, which even though the items were nothing great (for the most part), there were certainly a few useful things. 1 person with the skill will certainly speed it up compared to spell casting your way through it.

Or I can think of 4 NPCs who you can recruit at various times (if you want, not that you need to) who have the lockpick skill available.
Post Wed Sep 25, 2002 12:33 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Re: Locks and Traps?

quote:
Originally posted by Neh
I was wondering if I could possibly get away with not having any character in my party with Locks and Traps skill.

My first party was like this - without character with lock and traps skill.
It was hard work. What was is worse is that hardest parts will come at the end of game. Man those gates, I opened each of them one hour :{}
Post Fri Sep 27, 2002 6:51 pm
Jenny
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I use my own rogue (not Myles) for locks and traps. At level 18ish hes doing fine. I didn't have any trouble putting points in to all the skills I wanted (including post 100 skills) along with locks and traps.
Post Fri Sep 27, 2002 9:39 pm
otter
One of Us

You can develop the skill with practise, the best way is to examine a trapped chest, and if it comes up relatively harmless, you can hit the magnifying glass repeatedly to get Skill increases. (about 20 min. game time each, only a couple minutes real time)
Post Sat Sep 28, 2002 5:02 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

And also there are some items that will encrease this skill. I think wooden shield, hat...
Post Sat Sep 28, 2002 11:39 am
otter
One of Us

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S
P
A
C
E
Yah, right there in the Lower Monastery is the Posuer's Cap, for anyone who doesn't have L&T, and if you're lucky one of the Bandit types'll drop Thieve's Buckler, which anyone with Shield can use.
Post Sun Sep 29, 2002 5:38 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Exactly, these two items are what I was talking about :].
Post Sun Sep 29, 2002 1:06 pm