Troika and D&D
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

Troika and D&D

I came across this aticle on Troika's next project, which apparently should be formally announced next week.

What do you think? Are you excited about a new Troika project or disappointed that it's a D&D product? How about Greyhawk in 3ed?

Can Troika's TB effort be better than POR or will BIS/Bioware games still be the kings of D&D.

Personally, I think it's exciting.
*Goes off to find the old Greyhawk wallmap I had when I was 14*
Post Sat Dec 21, 2002 7:20 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Hmm... I'm hoping that Troika can give BIS/Bioware some viable competition in this area.
Post Sat Dec 21, 2002 9:50 am
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

I don't see why they go redesigning the old module from 1ed to 3ed themselves...
As far as I know, the module "Temple of elemental evil" has already been reformed to the 3ed system, as well as Greyhawk... why not simply make changes in the already existing ones?
Post Sat Dec 21, 2002 10:53 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Re: Troika and D&D

quote:
Originally posted by Dhruin
...What do you think? Are you excited about a new Troika project or disappointed that it's a D&D product? How about Greyhawk in 3ed?

I only mildly excited about the game, as same as when Troika releasing Arcanum couple years ago. The new game use turned base combat system, well, it's been several years since i ever played a turned base game (Fallout 2). I'm okay with another D&D CRPG, either in 3ed or not, as long as it will be a very good game.
Post Sat Dec 21, 2002 5:21 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Any light at the end of the tunnel for us turn-based fans is good news in my book. I've never really cared for computer games based on D&D rules because character development is terribly slow, but perhaps the 3rd ed rules will help some. I'll certainly follow news about the game.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Sat Dec 21, 2002 6:26 pm
Seth
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

This is Tim Cain we talking about, the only one game maker who didn’t let me down (yet). I’ll definitely try this game. Of course I’ll be happy if that game hits stores before Christmas next year. I still remember the delays of Arcanum (18 months?).

quote:
Originally posted by Val
Hmm... I'm hoping that Troika can give BIS/Bioware some viable competition in this area.

My hopes exactly
Post Sat Dec 21, 2002 6:29 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil is the 3E module. It's different than the first. Maybe they don't want to use Return because a lot of their fanbase will be pen and paper 3e players... a lot of which have played the new module (and what a module! No spoilers... but OH FOR THE LOVE OF GOD AND ALL THINGS HOLY ALWAYS HAVE A WIZARD WITH A ROPE TRICK SPELL! Preferrably two, as there's a distinct possibility one wizard will be whacked. Actually, there's a distinct possibility the entire party will be whacked, especially late on...).

Troika hasn't done anything bad in my books (can't say I bought Throne of Darkness, though... I played the demo). I'll give it a shot when it comes out.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Tue Dec 24, 2002 3:37 pm
Dhruin

quote:
Originally posted by EverythingXen
Troika hasn't done anything bad in my books (can't say I bought Throne of Darkness, though... I played the demo). I'll give it a shot when it comes out.

You lost me there, Xen. Wasn't that a feudal Chinese Diablo thing? I don't think that was Troika.
Post Wed Dec 25, 2002 9:21 am
irritantnumber6
Village Leader
Village Leader

Troika had absolutely nothing to do with Throne of Darkness. It was designed by guys from the Diablo team who formed a company called Click.

Arcanum is the ONLY game released by Troika so far, though they do come from the yummy team that created Fallout of course.
Post Fri Dec 27, 2002 2:07 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Hmmm... I just don't know what to think of it. Another iso D&D game? If it's anything like NWN I won't buy it for sure. What I like a lot, however, is this fact - it's a Greyhawk game. The WoG was my first AD&D 1st ed boxed world set , and I'm still familiar with the lands, the gods and the rulers. That might make it worthwhile. On the other hand, they spoke of 'tackling Against the Giants' next which was one of the worst modules I ever had the misfortune to GM. So my feelings are quite mixed.
Post Fri Dec 27, 2002 10:10 am
Dhruin

Yeah, my first AD&D campaign was in Greyhawk (can't say that I remember too much, though). My big Greyhawk map had pride of place of my bedroom wall.

I don't think it could be anything like NWN, since it's got 2D rendered backgrounds, TB combat and a full party. I've got no doubt Troika can pull off the RP elements, although I think things like their interfaces and inventory systems have been clunky in the past (Kayla gave up on Arcanum because equiping the henchmen was so difficult and it drove her mad).

The interview does say they can bring it to market so quickly because they already had some art assets etc from previous work. I hope that doesn't mean it will graphically outdated long before it even starts.
Post Fri Dec 27, 2002 11:08 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Brain on vacation. The points of commonality that I latched onto between Throne of Darkness and Arcanum were:

a) Published by Sierra
b) Substandard graphics*

Bring on the Temple of Elemental evil. They said they're using 3d character models (and a lot of them) and graphics aren't everything anyways... as long as they make the attempt.

Personally, I can't STAND Greyhawk as a campaign setting. But when playing a CRPG it's absolutely no different than any other setting.

*while Arcanum is indeed one of my favorite games, let alone crpgs, of all time ... the graphics were really crappy. So were Fallouts. It's a testament to the game's quality, in my opinion, that people loved these games just the same.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Fri Dec 27, 2002 1:13 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

quote:
Originally posted by Dhruin
I've got no doubt Troika can pull off the RP elements, although I think things like their interfaces and inventory systems have been clunky in the past (Kayla gave up on Arcanum because equiping the henchmen was so difficult and it drove her mad).
Make that 2 of us- I despised virtually every aspect of the way the RPCs were handled in Arcanum. It was impossible to develop and equip a well-balanced party. Really a shame, because that ruined a game that had a lot of potential, IMO.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Fri Dec 27, 2002 8:26 pm
Dhruin

quote:
Originally posted by EverythingXen
Bring on the Temple of Elemental evil. They said they're using 3d character models (and a lot of them) and graphics aren't everything anyways... as long as they make the attempt.

You're absolutely right about the graphics - but they can help. For me there were just too many elements of Arcanum that were problematic (interface, inventory management, henchmen, graphics), despite the underlying quality of the roleplaying. I know this is a shallow limitation of mine but if just one or two of these things had been better I might have been able to finish it.

Arcanum's interface went backwards from Fallout (for me), which I think is quite a poor effort for 2001; surely we've seen enough CRPG's to get basics like this right.

So...I'm really looking forward to this but I just hope they have put some more effort into simple elements that can really improve a game.
Post Fri Dec 27, 2002 10:16 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

Why does everybody bash Fallout graphics so much? At the time, I thought they were pretty good. Prolly because I was still playing games like the original Master of Orion, but still... From today's perspective, resolution absolutely sucks. But 5 years ago I thought it was pretty nifty. But then again, I was the person who thought text only adventure games were pretty nifty too.

Anyhow, I got Arcanum the moment I found out who Troika were. I was quite disappointed in it though. First off, I found graphics in Arcanum to be actually worse than in Fallout. Secondly, I found the game to be woefully underdevelopped. Thirdly, the story was dragged on too long. And finally, some of the design elements were obvious rip-offs off of Fallout fame, without any attempt to make them even slightly different.

Since I'm not such a huge D&D fan, I'll be sceptical about this release. I still have faith in them, but I'm luke warm on the idea.
Post Mon Dec 30, 2002 4:45 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next