NWN 2 May not ship with DM Client
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

NWN 2 May not ship with DM Client

It seems that NWN2 may not ship with the DM client, with confirmation coming from Production Tester Patrick K Mills responding to some E3-related comments:<blockquote><em>The DM Client will very likely not ship with the game. There just isn't enough time to finish, test, and polish it before launch and we don't want to ship something that sucks. <br> <br>We do have plans to release one, but I don't know when it will be available.</em></blockquote>From <a href="http://nwn2forums.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=480610&forum=95&sp=15" target="_blank">here</a>.
Post Thu May 11, 2006 11:20 pm

They should just delay the release of the game then leave the most important feature out unless they plan on putting it online around the same time it comes out.
Post Thu May 11, 2006 11:22 pm

Lucky Day

exactly what I was going to post.

I'm going to the NWN2 forums right now to check. There should be flames a mile high real quick.

Biwoare stopped thinking this was important when they did market research afterwards because they found its the least used feature. Well duh! That doesn't mean its not critical.

Not wanting to suck is a lame excuse. It will suck without it.
Post Fri May 12, 2006 12:54 am

Wolfie_

There's at least something like 6-8 weeks between creating the "gold master" and getting the software boxes on shop shelves. With resources freed up from having completed the master, would think much refinement could be done to the DM client in that time frame, so would think something close to the release day could be done (ie, maybe not on day-0, but within a short period of time after), guess it comes down to how the publishers rate it for importance, and if they give the developer the green-light to make that happen. Time will tell.

Post Fri May 12, 2006 1:32 am

Dhruin

Gold -> ship can be as little as a week, although longer is certainly more common. It's waaaay too early to draw any conclusions, but he also could have simply said "we'll be trying to get it online around the time the game hits stores".
Post Fri May 12, 2006 1:59 am

The DM Client is the LEAST important piece of the game... when NWN was released all anyone could do was bitch about how lame the OC was, so this time the focus has been on the OC and the modding tools, many people that play the game don't ever even use the DM... this is no big deal, and they should definately not delay the game for a feature that is only used by a small minority of the buyers...
Post Fri May 12, 2006 2:12 am

ToddMcF2002
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

AND HERE WE GO! Good old Atari! Obsidian is probably getting the "I told ya so" emails from the Troika folk right about now...

Not sure how I feel about this one. They need a DM client to be released fairly quickly or NWN2 could be short lived.

On the otherhand with party control I'm really looking forward to the Single Player game this time.
Post Fri May 12, 2006 2:21 am

DM client is important because?
Isn't it a tool only used by people play multi and want to be DM? If that's so, it's not that important. Just concentrate on oc.
Post Fri May 12, 2006 6:12 am

corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

I won't be buying the game until the DM client is ready!! For people who run online NWN games, this is vital. I think they have under-estimated its importance. It's the online usage that has propelled the success of the franchise. That will quickly dry up without a DM client that is fully integrated!!

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Fri May 12, 2006 6:49 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

put simply, SP > MP

Just my personal feelings, of course
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Fri May 12, 2006 8:08 am
doctor_kaz
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Count me in with the "who cares" crowd. The PC desperately needs some good single player campaigns. I'd rather have them ship that and patch in the DM client later. I never used it in the first game either.
Post Fri May 12, 2006 2:18 pm
ToddMcF2002
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

As long as the construction kit ships I guess I agree. Really I can't wait for this thing - I'm expecting great things.
Post Fri May 12, 2006 3:06 pm
Lucky Day

The DM client is more vital at launch for Party Based play and campaigns. Even more so that for PW's which can let players roam dungeons.

The DM Client is able to shortcut a lot of work that would be necessary by scripting and is probably the single best experience you can have with the game as a player.

You can Role Play and do a PnP feel with a DM Client better than any other type of CRPG gaming. If you haven't played with a DM in NWN you are seriously missing a great experience. Its like having a computer then hooking it up to the internet.

More than anything the DM Client differentiates NWN from any other game out there.

And from a sales standpoint if one DM can convince his five or six players to pick up a copy...
Post Fri May 12, 2006 6:40 pm