View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Troubleshooting

Author Thread
PrimeTime21Jr
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Game Always freezing...HELP!!!!

My problem...

The game is running, I hear all the voices and audio and everything, but it freezes like you wouldn't believe. I can be merely walking doing nothing and I'd have to wait nearly 30 seconds to a full minute in-between each individual freeze. I am so annoyed with this thing, it's not even funny. I've uninstalled the game about 3 times and it STILL does it. I set the screen resolution for the game...the same thing happens. I ran through ALL the options and played with each one of them...yet the same thing happens. The game freezes a whole lot and the sound along with it. If I didn't know any better I'd say the game was trying to clear it's throat in a visual way from the way it freezes so much.

I have tried everything I know how to do, but I refuse to do anything seriously drastic to my PC because it is still very new. Here are the stats on my PC that I could dig up...

Motherboard: - 845 El Paso motherboard & P4-478 1.5Ghz Processor

Processor: - 845 El Paso & P4-478 1.5Ghz

Memory: - 128MB Memory Module

Hard Drive: - 20GB IDE 5M Hard Drive

Monitor: - GW EV700 17" Monitor (15.9" Viewable)

Video Card: - 32MB NVIDIA Geforce2 MX200 AGP Graphics

CDRW: - 16x/10x/40x Recordable/Rewriteable CDRW

Sound Card: - Integrated Sound Blaster compatible audio

Speakers: - GCS300 Speakers

Modem: - 56K PCI Modem (But I'm using Road Runner)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

I don't know if this question has been answered or not, but I am VERY new to this board as of 8/24, so someone really needs to help me.

I love the concept of this game...but unfortunately that's about the ONLY thing I have a chance to love about it because of this SAME problem I've been having.

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!
Post Sat Aug 24, 2002 6:41 am
PrimeTime21Jr
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Okay...I updated my driver for my grapic card...

It's still freezing..just not as much as before.

I notice how all of you are looking at this post, but nobdy is trying to help...
Post Sat Aug 24, 2002 9:19 pm
Xelis
High Emperor
High Emperor

Wow, never seen this problem...
Hmmm...
Sounds like you need more RAM. About 512 total should do you for a LONG time. Cost you around $80.00 at Compusa...they'll install it for free if you buy it there.

Other then that, you might try saving your saved game to the harddrive, reinstall Gothic, then put your saved saved game in the saved game file under Gothic in the C: drive...

sound complicated?
Post Sun Aug 25, 2002 1:02 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Iīm not quite sure what you mean with 'the game freezes'. A freeze usually means the game doesnīt react anymore and you have to shut it down or even reboot.
The thing you described (okay for a few seconds, then stalling, repeat ...) sounds to me like youīre simply having performance problems. Which is very likely because your amount of RAM is substandard and the graphics card is incredibly slow. I think Gothic stalls when new graphics is loaded.
Of course you canīt be sure the problems would be gone with faster hardware.

You said the situation improved with new graphics drivers. Did you also update the drivers for mainboard & soundchip and check your DirectX?

It might be useful to set the swapfile to ~1 GB fixed size. Checking your framerate (see our cheat guide) is also an idea. If you have less than 10 fps you have your answer.
Post Sun Aug 25, 2002 1:21 am
PrimeTime21Jr
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

GORATH...

The best way to describe it is like a stutter. It's stalling continuously. Like you said, it's okay for a few seconds, then it's stalling and starting to stutter here and there.

I updated the driver for the NIVIDIA (or whatever) graphic card, and the stuttering was reduced, but it still does it. Just not as much.

I'll tell you what, just give me a list of instructions on how to fix the problem or some place (a web site) I can go to where I can find some help.

It's getting annoying now. I am so ready to throw this thing away, but it costs over $40 dollars. And where I am from, it's damn near impossible to find a place to sell PC games.
Post Sun Aug 25, 2002 1:54 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Seems you really have performance problems. Itīs unlikely you can compensate unbalanced hardware with software adjustments.
Can you return the game?
Can you borrow 256MB RAM and a faster nVidia graphics card from a friend for a day or two?

As the game seems to run stable you should first measure the frame rate.
Start the game, and type
bmarvinb or smarvins (open/close status screen plus the word 'MARVIN')
F2 (toggles the console)
toggle frame [enter]
F2

Optimal are 20-25 fps. I bet you have less than 10 walking from the gate of the Old Camp to the castle entrance (Thorus).

edit: Iīve seen this stuttering when I tried Gothic with 128MB on Win98SE (which consumes less memory than XP). I considered it unplayable.
Post Sun Aug 25, 2002 2:14 am
Xelis
High Emperor
High Emperor

The reason for your 'stuttering' is from your lack of RAM. When the game is loading NPC's, graphics, textures, armor, weapons, etc., it uses RAM to do it, and since you have VERY low end RAM, I'd consider upgrading it a little...and downloading directx 8.1a should be considered as well.
Hope this helps!
Post Sun Aug 25, 2002 4:57 am
PrimeTime21Jr
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

So if I'm understanding this correctly...You're all telling me I need to open up my hard drive and install more RAM...

Is that what you're telling me?

But how and where would I find out how to do that?
Post Mon Aug 26, 2002 6:13 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Please, don't open your HDD! The RAM is in slots on your motherboard.

Look here for a FAQ on upgrading RAM.

If you're very unsure about exchanging/adding parts to your computer, you shouldn't do it yourself. Better ask someone in your vicinity who does stuff like it on a regular base, or go to see a store/tech.
Post Mon Aug 26, 2002 6:23 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

I would suggest you ask in your local shop if they can put another 256MB in your machine. Itīs not really complicated if you are careful, but <i>mistakes will most likely destroy your PC</i>.
It shouldnīt take them more than 5 minutes.

Hereīs how to do it yourself:
-look at the picture linked on the site Jaz mentioned. One of the slots must be empty.
-buy a 256MB module. Either SDRAM or DDR-SDRAM depending on your mainboard.
-Unplug your PC and open your case.
-open the white brackets of the memory slot

Now the dangerous part:
-examine the bottom of the module, where the contacts are. There is at least one notch in it. The module is asymmetric. <b>It only fits in one direction. You have to find out the correct one! </b>Use a flashlight to find the counterpart to the notch inside the slot.
-insert the module. The lower part of the opened brackets works as a guide rail. Do it slowly and orthographic to the mainboard, with only a little bit of pressure. The brackets will close automatically if everything is right.
If it doesnīt fit you either made a mistake in the last step or you didnīt have an exact 90° angle.

Leave you system unplugged until you are 100% sure the module is inserted correctly.
Post Mon Aug 26, 2002 9:10 pm