RPGDot Network    

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (Xbox)
Display full image
Pic of the moment
More
pics from the gallery

Site Navigation

Main
   News
   Forums

Games
   Games Database
   Top 100
   Release List
   Support Files

Features
   Reviews
   Previews
   Interviews
   Editorials
   Diaries
   Misc

Download
   Gallery
   Music
   Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Gothic III - Interview @ IGN
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Kalia
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Gothic III - Interview @ IGN

RPG Vault had the chance to interview Piranha Bytes' Kai Rosenkranz. The interview posted today: <blockquote><em><b>Jonric: Turning to the particulars of the game, what style of RPG will it be, and what type of gameplay will it offer? What will differentiate it from other titles that might initially seem similar?</b></em></blockquote><blockquote><em>The scope is much larger than the previous games, and we have added a number of improvements - apart from the stunning graphics and improved AI - that will make the world react to each action the player takes. This not only means that the city watch will try to arrest you if you steal from the merchant; you may also rise to lead whole settlements in revolt against the Orcish occupation or become a renowned gladiator or slave master. Your actions will have ramifications far beyond your immediate surroundings on a truly epic scale. This will, of course, mean that each and every game you play will be different and may end differently.</em></blockquote><em><blockquote>An important difference from many recent games comes about with the story and gameplay shift toward interacting with the world. You will need to find allies and supporters, not just in the sense of NPC henchman, but really on a wider scale. You may need to convince a barbarian tribe to help you storm the Orc camp, but for this, you must steal the totem of their rival tribe that will turn against you because of this. So, it is all about choices and consequences, which makes the game that much more alive.</em></blockquote>Read it <a href="http://rpgvault.ign.com/articles/705/705884p1.html" target="_blank">here</a>.
Post Sat May 13, 2006 3:26 am

I'm so glad this amazing series is made in europe. After reading the review looking at the screenshots and trailers you just cant help but laugh at Oblivion and American rpg's.
Post Sat May 13, 2006 3:30 am

Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

Great interview and it is in English, which we rarely get usually stuck trying to translate with not much accuracy.

I find it hard to believe Oblvion is even considered a RPG, even after playing for 200+ hours, it is nothing but an Action game, afai can tell.
Post Sat May 13, 2006 5:26 am

The quoted part of that interview changed me from just wanting this game and thinking it is going to be good into; I have to have this game since something I have always wanted in a game is actually going to be in a game. I am happy that gaming companies are starting to get a little closer to my dream game that I will one day make.
Post Sat May 13, 2006 7:39 am

GTaher
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Me wantee! Me wantee so bad!

Wow, this sounds amazing! I loved the first two games and this really makes it sound like G3 will be another step forward.

Gothics gritty feel in G1 and G2 was excellent and this looks likely to continue with the three factions mentioned (Orcs, Barbarians and Slaver Assasins!!) offering no easy "good guy" path.

What makes all these games great is the sense that you belong in the world and the choices you make shape the world and how people in it react to you. G3 sounds like it will take it to the next level.

I am not usually one to gush but the first two games deserve gushing (imho) and this interview does a good job of convincing me that they are really focused on developing and improving the features that made the first two great.

Bring it on!
Post Sat May 13, 2006 9:04 am
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Great interview. Really looking forward to the game, for me it will probably be the biggest title in 2006.
Post Sat May 13, 2006 1:21 pm

I agree with that action comment i mean look at the very few weapons and armor in the game the extremely dull villages and towns and 1,500 generic npc's with the same clothing faces and voices their isnt one unique npc in the whole game they are all forgettable all these just completly ruin this game. I think i had 85 hours into the game i did all guild side quests but then i couldnt play any more it got to boring sick of doing the same crap quests same generic boring dumb npc's and boring click click click fighting im seriously clicking my mouse like crazy to fight :|

Yeah i dont know its strange i dont know about any one else but there are games you try or play and there just games you dont feel anything its just a videogame but there are a few games where they really get into your head and you really feel something sounds crazy but im sure some one knows what i mean.

Gothic 1 i dont know i felt different when playing that game i mean not just feeling happy or its fun because its a good game its like the world was real like i was really there everything they did all those camps specially the sleeper camp at night all dark those big trees the people outside the sky it was awesome.

Diego is still my favorite npc in the gothic series his voice was destroyed in the second one though sounding like a clown.

Cant wait to try this it is going to be the biggest superior rpg of the year but knowing the mentality of rating sites (mostly Americans) will probably give it 7.5 or something because their mentality cant understand a game of this caliber they just understand dull kill kill like Oblivion and give it a near perfect score
Post Sat May 13, 2006 4:06 pm

Dez
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

Great interview . I'm glad that Kairo is doing some good old pr. Many people read ign and gothic gets more publicity. Lets hope that this wasn't the last english interview.
Post Sun May 14, 2006 8:20 pm
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

I agree that was a big problem for Gothic and Gothic 2, not a single English Gamesite interview I could find with a dev, think I saw a translation or two.

Those guys are so busy working so hard they may have forgotten how much difference couple intiviews will make or JoWood has them on such a tough schedule they don't have 15 minutes to answer a a few questions in English.
Post Mon May 15, 2006 6:06 am