Usergroups
This game is superb (First impressions)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Leandar
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I have made a few posts here since I got the game. As much as I have been enjoying it though, this morning I reached a peak. I love Gothic. It is an absurdly complex game where the possibilities are close to endless. The nonlinearity opens the game up so much that it feels like you really live in this place. I got my little hut, my couple of chests to store stuff, my bed...I cook my food and make a couple of blades and sell them...It just seems so coherent. Everything in the game fuses to create a flawless roleplaying experience. At first the game plays kind of like a MMORPG (stop!, don't kill me just yet, wait for an explanation!!!). You start at a very low level and there is not much sense of a real story line going on. You are basically trying to fulfill a series of random quests to join a guild. This, and the 3D nature of the game, plus the the fact that there is so much ground to explore at your own leisure, really gives a sense of familiarity if you have played Evequest or Camelot. But then there's the detail. Yes, this is what separates this game from the afore mentioned. You get a graphical representation for almost every action, even for improving your skills! The better you get at sword swinging, the cooler your character will look while dishing out some punishment. Spoken dialogue for everyone, yes even merchants and peasants. The NPC AI is completely revolutionary, people wash their faces in the morning for God's sake, they hammer loose nails in their huts, sharpen their blades, smoke weed and when they get the munchies they cook their food. Then they go to bed and the next day they'll remember if you in any way spoiled their trip. If you did, you might just get a knife in your back.
Now I don'y know how many of you in here have played the Baldur's Gate series. I personally loved them. But there's only so much you can do with sprites. Those games feel like that, just games. Gothic on the other hand feels more like a virtual world, but even moreso than Everquest or Asheron's Call. I have realised now that I can't go back to playing Baldur's Gate. I did it an hour ago just to see the difference in feel of the game, but it left me wanting so much more, more of what Gothic has. Developers should really take note of what these european guys are coming up with. This is the future of gaming if you ask me. This is the type of experience Richard Garriot set out to create in his first games, but failed due to lack of technology and in his later attempt, lack of balls.
I want to congratulate Piranha Bytes for creating this masterpiece and giving it to us, the hardcore rpgers that still see single player RPG's as the best form of gaming.

Post Sun Nov 25, 2001 10:09 pm
artos
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

yeah!
artos #
Post Sun Nov 25, 2001 10:37 pm
Kaivaal
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I utterly agree!

RPG developers creating believable, living, and detailed worlds is what we need more of. Gives us a chance to leave this one; which can be a very good thing at times.

Post Sun Nov 25, 2001 11:51 pm
bigkabuto
High Emperor
High Emperor

Wow, good writing man...i agree completely with you, the fact that it's just an real living world..people doing there thing ...
Campfire at night with people around it just gives this great atmosphere....i am counting the day till it comes out
can't wait anymore...
Post Mon Nov 26, 2001 12:18 am

So, here're my first impressions...
the game seems very similar to outcast
the problems that i have are the graphic glitches which are caused for the most part by a low end system of mine
other problems persist though as well
the map feature is extremely weak, there's a general map, yet i have not found a map for each of the 3 camps, i dunno if they exist, if not, it tends to be a problem
npcs that follow u, i tend to loose them in 2 minutes, as i regularely jump on house roofs and such, and npcs simply fail to keep up and catch up later
the legends of the npc ai... are false at least on few occasions. i can pick chests when the npcs are looking at me, and take anything i wish without them saying anything
running, jumping, fighting it all seems very similar to outcast, graphics are similar as well, at least on my system (which is not that bad, but they are slow)
the dialogue trees are poor for the most part
if compared to fallout-- they are definitely poor as choices don't seem to make a whole lot of difference for the most part
voice acting is good
it would have been nicer to have a bigger world... u can cross the whole map in about 15 minutes (without fighting)
i found a few glitches--- when i was supposed to pick up weed harvest from gatherers, one gatherer said that i should kill the bloodbees-- apparenly one of the bloodbees got stuck in the trees (graphical glitch), so i had to knock the gatherer out to pick up the harvest-- though i have yet to see whether it will effect my quest or not
u can rest only in bed... which is a bit odd, but i suppose considering how close the camps are... it's not too bad, but tents would have been nice
for the time being, that's all for my first look...
Post Mon Nov 26, 2001 12:29 pm

Ragnar
High Emperor
High Emperor

I have seen maps of Old & New Camp for trade but nothing yet on a map for the Sect Camp. I'm sure there is but I haven't been given the privilege to talk to the right people yet. I have found two people who will trade at the NC. One is the local drug dealer and the other is a priest with marbles in his mouth who thinks I'm not worthy to talk to yet. I did pick up a line used in a great SF trilogy while talking to one of the priests. As anyone else recognized it?

I wish the game was a little more realistic (Am I asking for too much here?) in some respects. I mean lets face,who in the hell do you know that can run around for miles, battling with all kinds of creatures or people, while hauling around enough food, weapons and hardware to support a small army. Another nice thing would be if the traders in the game traded with other people. It would add variety by making new goods available and uncertainty because something you sold to somebody that you now want may not be their went you return.

P.S. Gothic is well on its way to being one of the greats. As far as the Gothic world is concerned; If the Barrier can be expanded, I only see it getting bigger as the Mods start to hit the scene or when PB starts to release Expansion Paks. I know they are working hard on Gothic TNG, but what form it will take I have no idea. Maybe One of the PB gurus will read this and wet our whistle...

[ This Message was edited by: ragnar on 2001-11-26 19:23 ]
Post Mon Nov 26, 2001 4:28 pm
Sveinung
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Good writing Leandar!
I think Gothic is the second best game in the world after Deus Ex!

Post Mon Nov 26, 2001 11:34 pm