Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
What do you really like about Morrowind?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Snoekie
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

What do you really like about Morrowind?

Personally I really like the freedom I have in Morrowind.
I can do whatever I want, when I want.
No pressure to follow the main storyline at all.
There is no right or wrong way to play this game and that's what I love about it

What do YOU really like about Morrowind?
Post Sat May 11, 2002 1:13 pm
iplaygames2
Master of The Realms
Master of The Realms

I Really, REALLY like the weather effects. I only have a Geforce2, but I still can't get over the sky, the moon(s), the sunrises/sets, the rain effects on the water.....blows me away. Not to mention the SOUND of lightning/thunder.

I also really like the way you can barter with merchants.

"You want 47 gold for THAT?? I'll give you these racer plumes and 12 gold, and we'll call it even."

Post Sat May 11, 2002 1:19 pm
DzD
Unknown
Unknown

The water........
His latest, a hit
Cuz the Little One's a mystery to me

Written by - dteowner
Post Sat May 11, 2002 1:52 pm
Mosman22
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

realistic touches

The freedom and graphics and char development are all nice. But what I love the most are those extra little touches they put in that make the world seem more realistic. The way the water ripples when you move through it or rain falls on it. Lightning that accompanies rain, but NOT always. Torches in guards hands at night. The way people react to your clothing and health. When I noticed one of my shields had a bunch of scratch marks on the back like I was counting the # of mosters killed. And the one moment that most blew my mind was when I was in my first sandstorm and saw the NPCs outside walking around with one hand raised to shield their eyes!!! That was a VERY nice touch Obviously not everything is true to realism, but they did an imprssive job in several areas.
Post Sat May 11, 2002 2:54 pm
OldScho0l74
Village Leader
Village Leader

hmm...........

EVERYTHING!
Post Sat May 11, 2002 3:30 pm
Wabbit

I like a lot of things about the game, but one thing I especially like is the alchemy. If you're into alchemy you get to where you know where all the plants are in an area, and you can just cruise around collecting the little leaves and stuff. I love how they made the different regions have there own ecosystem so you have to go here or there if you want a certain thing, and how some places have a potted flower or flowerbox with herbs growing in it. They did so well setting up the different characteristics, like how the mushrooms that grow above the muck in the swamp, and the cattails that also rise above the water, will make you a walk on water potion. It really makes me appreciate the terrain so much more.

Oh, and I love the candles.
Post Sat May 11, 2002 4:03 pm

Hagatha
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

So far I love the fact that for me this is an entirely new world that I've never been in before. I am in that enviable position of "first discovery", which is something I haven't had since I bought BG and BG2.
Post Sat May 11, 2002 5:30 pm
bolopunq
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

at first i was too overwelmed by the size of the world, and therefore couldn't quite attach myself personally to the quests i performed, since they were...well...not personal, but the moment i started doing some further shit for calsus i really got pulled in, and so it comes to the fact that i play this game all night, and stop at around 6-7 am. so for me, it's the beauty of the world plus the "already cool, much to be yet unrevealed" main story.
Post Sat May 11, 2002 6:23 pm
Kaos503
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I'm still not very far, but I love the freedom it gives you, and the size, not only the world, but how you can climb on high towers, and I have the visibility at almost 0, but I turn it to full and the view you get is amazing, unlike any other game I've played!

I also like the NPCs, and the variety of them, you could be walking to the next town, and see a NPC standing by the side of the roadm you don't always know if they will want to be spoken to (they might try and kill you), or they might have a mission for you. You might not be able to trust them, or they might just fall down in front of you.

I also love how you can take almost anything you want from anywhere. You can take plants, lamps, books, clothes, paper, anything! Its as close to reality as any game I've played gets, how can you not want that?
Post Sat May 11, 2002 7:23 pm
Zaal
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Having my GF walk up behind me while I'm playing Morrowind and having this conversation(She's played Final Fantasy type RPGs before):

GF: What are you doing?
Me: Watching the sunset.
GF: What?
Me: Watching the sunset. Isn't it cool?
GF: Wow. That's pretty sweet! Where were you going?
Me: Nowhere. I just climbed over the hills surrounding Balmora.
GF: ... What? Didn't you have a quest or something to do?
Me: Yeah but it can wait. I was planning on gathering some mushrooms.
GF: ... What do you do with mushrooms.
Me: Depending on the type, I can eat them for immediate effects or use my alchemy set to create potions I can use later. Or sell if I have too many.
GF: He's a thief right? How does he know how to make potions?
Me: Yeah, he's a thief but that doesn't mean he's an idiot. He can do everything every other class can do but he only does thiefy type things really well. For instance, my alchemy skill is only at 15. I have a very small chance of creating a potion but it does work occassionally. When it does work, my skill goes up a little bit. So if I keep working at it, I can make it go up, eventually.
GF: So you're not really a thief?
Me: Don't look at it that way. Look at it that I'm a guy on an island that I have never been to before and there's all these things I can do. Some I do well, some I do poorly. But I can do whatever I want with those skills as I see fit. I wander around trying to find out why I am here while keeping myself alive at the same time. I get better with experience. Kinda like real life.
GF: ... Can I play.
Me: Sure, when I'm done.
GF: When will that be?
Me: Dunno. This island is huge. I am level 7 right now. Think it tops out at level 20. Could be weeks. Maybe months. Then, when I am done the main quest, which I haven't even started yet, I could still wander around the island and see what difference my character made in the world.
GF: Remember you were trying to talk me into getting another computer?
Me: Yes?
GF: We should do that. Soon.

This really happened though I did paraphrase liberally.

I have been playing Dungeon Siege a bit lately and the two games are on extreme ends of the same spectrum: DS is like walking through a tunnel whereas MW is like being dropped off on an island and.... well I suppose I'm working on the rest of that sentence right now, just like the rest of you.

Zaal
Post Sat May 11, 2002 8:55 pm
CarcusRex

I really love the way you can actually see and feel the way your charachter improves as his skill goes up. This is remarkable roleplaying. I remember how my early fights resulted in very few blocks and alot of missed thrusts. And then, slowly, over time and with practice and training my battles involved many more shield blocks and fewer missed hits. I was improving in a readably determinable fashion. The realization was intrinsic and natural. To me, this is the esscence of what true RPG leveling aught to be. The realization that the sweat and toil your going through to survive is paying off in how much better you perform is extremely satisfying. I simply don't remember experiencing this in any other RPG I've played... at least not to this extent. Sure. You level up and get more goodies in the other games but nobody implements leveling as well as Morrowind.

One simple example: on a long journey north to some godforsaken island, I decided to stop on the northern shore of the mainland in the middle of the wilderness - a place where ancient and crumbling ruins jutted into the horizon off in the distance - to practice my alteration skill. I wanted to water-walk to my target island. I had purchased a water-walk spell but since my alteration skill sucked so bad I had little chance of casting it successfully. So, with a practice spell I made using low magicka (how cool is that aspect of the game?) I proceeded to cast like a madman.
I stayed there for many days, casting day and night on that lonely but beautiful shore and witnessed numerous weather changes - my only companion a huge Netch bug foraging down the beach a ways. At first my casting failed almost every time, but slowly, as my skill increased, so did my % chance of casting. And this resulted in my skill increasing faster and faster until I was repeatingly casting without fail. I found this progression esoteric and realistic. Truley satisfying! Of course, the payoff was the God-like water walk I did as I flipped off the annoying sucker fish and the multi-appendaged water beasts eyeing me from the depths. God, I love this game!
Post Sun May 12, 2002 3:47 am

DrHiroshima

Books...books...I do read a lot of books in RL, and was pleased to see that my virtual persona ( a Knight Imperial) could read something else beside scrolls and quest notes. Some are really interesting, in particular the ones studying Morrowind or Tamriel. Elder Scroll's geeks must be in the nirvana now.

I won't go into the absolute non linearity, since its -obviously- the primary objective of Bethesda in the making of this game.

If someone is reading and wondering if (or why) he should buy the third installement in the Elder Scrolls serie, three words; go get it, I never played Daggerfall or Arena, but this game will be a "monument" in the gaming history, a turning point in our gaming lives. I never saw such a beautifully rendered world, and the game is *stable*, heck I had to crack it (hate to look for the CD, and I'm playing Kohan and AvP2 too) and it crashed only once in 2 days of playing (a crash to desktop and I had a funny message from C. Taylor).

The character developpement is strong too, it may take forever to attain 100 in all skills, you would have to play like a freak for months.

The game is BIG ! My girlfriend and I were shocked by the size of the map (I had to clean my desk of cd's and hardware to deploy it). I just compared it to BG2's, and its twice bigger, plus filled with locations and you gotta travel for REAL inbetween locations !

The Editor, wonderful and easy to use if you have got the patience and the *holy fire* within you. Imagine what we will get thank to mod makers ? I bet that either MW or NWN will become the "RPG Half Life" (or UT) and mod-ified "ad infinitum ad nauseam". A long term investement if you prefer.

Anyways blah blah.

I love this game.

Truly.
Post Sun May 12, 2002 4:33 am

LORD_LSD
City Guard
City Guard

Hmm.. What i like about Morrowind.... Actually can't think of anything really.
Nothing strikes me as "wow i like this" or "cool, never seen this" . Don't get me wrong here, i love the game, been playing 20h/day for the last 4 days (thank god for holidays) , but basicly what i experience while playing is Daggerfall with new graphics. Wich is sad. because now we will never get that 3d patch (or even a bug patch) for Daggerfall. The thing is : this game looks way better with high-end cards than with mediocre cards, and taken that this has been in the makes for 6 yrs now, it makes me wonder if this last year was not about bug testing, but for performance & graphics tweaking for those high end cards? Anyways i love the game & griefly disapointed that box recommendations are not enough to run it even remotely smooth, but hey - it's Bethseda, the company that made the buggiest game ever made.
Post Sun May 12, 2002 5:40 am
Super_Ant
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

i like the starting ship, and the little bit of the outdors that I sometimes see, because the game keeps freezing or quitting as soon as I exit the ship. Maybe I'll save up for a new computer someday...

-Monty Python Live at Aspen

I am The Topic Killer!
Post Sun May 12, 2002 5:48 am
Kane
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Super_Ant
i like the starting ship, and the little bit of the outdors that I sometimes see, because the game keeps freezing or quitting as soon as I exit the ship. Maybe I'll save up for a new computer someday...

Buwahhaa. Funny...
Post Sun May 12, 2002 12:57 pm