View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
Tattooed Priest
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Spending learning points wisely

Hi All

Just got Gothic 2 (had to want for new computer). I loved Gothic 1, but never made it to level 5 or 6 in circle of magic because I built up my strength early on and did not save learing points wisely. I loved the magic in G1, and want to be a mage in G2.

I guess the overall question is what is the maximum learing points one can get? I know its based on leveling up, but you can only go so far if you don't add them to strenght to fight harder monsters to level up. (catch 22)

Are the levels of magic same as gothic 1 (ie 10 points for level 1 and 20 points for level 2 and so on?) I want to try to save as many as possible but still need a few for strength.

What is the average strength of those people who became mages?

Thanks

Tattooed Priest
Post Fri Apr 02, 2004 3:05 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

Hi I don't know Gothic 1 but in Gothic 2 to learn fighting and strength and dexterity costs twice as much lp when you're a mage. So be careful.

There are two options
1. You go right in the monastery as soon as you can. It can be done with only magic, but it's hard, certainly if you're playing for the first time.

2. You become a fightingmage and first kill every creature in the world of khorinis before joining the novices. It's hard cause you will not get better armor than the leather armor, but again it can be done.
This way I had 75% twohanded and 80 strength before joining the novices.

The magic circles cost 5lp to learn, no matter which circle. Furthermore to learn to make a certain rune cost another 5lp.

But the route of the mages is the hardest there is so you can also consider playing a different guild first.

The overall level people have when finishing the game is 35-45, so say an average of 400 lp
Post Fri Apr 02, 2004 3:16 pm
Whailor
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

Well, if you do ALL the quests there are and kill all the mobs there are, in each chapter, everywhere, then you can get to over level 45, but below level 50. At least I haven't seen anyone reach level 50 with one sweep, personally I have been level 47 or 48. There are some cheesy parts, which can be used to pump more XP, but first, it's cheesy and second, it would take ages really to gain levels like that, since you need big amount of XP to level, yet the XP per kill is tiny. But, yes, something has to be sacrificed, since there are only so many points to go around. Level wise you can get pretty high, if the XP was unlimited. Last time I used, for pure fun, the exported hero 3 times (played through each guild), I got to level 79 and was only 130 XP points short of level 80 That was reached in correct way, i.e. I did the quests each time, all of them, and did not use the "smack respawning mobs" cheese - smacked them once and left the area.

Note that this was without the add-on, with add-on the level would have been much higher, probably close to 100, if not over (if the game lets over level 100).
Post Fri Apr 02, 2004 3:19 pm
Tattooed Priest
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks for your comments

Right now I'm just level 5 and have 30 points to spend. I going to see how far I can get with out adding strength yet. But I will add to my strength before I join the novices.

Thanks
Post Fri Apr 02, 2004 3:48 pm
imposteraz
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

When playing a Mage, I've found it useful to ignore Strength (only increased it to about 20). Instead, I put my points into Dexterity.

Then I use the Dex-based swords for hand weapons (Sword, Rapier and Master Sword) and either a Bow or an Xbow for ranged combat (all based only on Dex)..

This frees up the points I would otherwise spend on Strength to go into Mage levels, runes and potions instead.

Once you learn the perm Strength potions, you can increase Strength this way, too. You'll also find a few Strength potions around in the game.

"OK, I've got the 'No Die' part."
Post Mon Apr 05, 2004 3:11 am
Damelron
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Swordfighter(1 hand or two) dont matter if ur pally or merc

1. Build of Strength to 100. Then if you have strength potions use them.

2. Build Dex to what you need to use your sword. Then if you have dex potions use them, or build dex to 100 then use them, or if you dont want to bother with dex just use your dex pots.

3. Get your sword skill up to 50(1 hnd or two) then start adding to str unless you need str to use your sword.

4. Then just go kill stuff.

Someone else do mage or melle mage
Post Thu May 27, 2004 3:40 pm
marevix
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I don't know about you, but I never added a single LP to thief skills, dexterity, strength, or combat skills as a mage and killed the entire orc encampment outside of the castle in Ch. 2 easily that way (awaken golem, anyone?).
Post Sun May 30, 2004 8:15 pm
Nameles BQQN
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

thanx

thnx for al this information i followed this forum for quite a while and never registerd untill now

i just wanted to share that the firts time i played g2 i joined the city guards to become a paladin (who didnt?) and finished the game at lvl 31 is that good?

i always wanted to know what the lp's for magic circles are i'm now almost finished as dragonhunter and th next time i really want to become a mage thanks to yall

i will be sharing my ''wisdom and experiences'' from g1 and g2 as much as i can

i will be back
Post Mon May 31, 2004 9:27 pm
titus
Survivor of Hell
Survivor of Hell

I didn't. the first time I played gothic I played as a merc
Post Mon May 31, 2004 10:02 pm
NeoCodex
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Only lvl 31? huh, no, that's not good, certanly not good

When I finished the game, I was like lvl 45. Even now, when playing add-on, I am allready lvl 29 and have just started Act III in Khorinis and I have 75% finished the add-on world. Pretty god, eh?
Post Mon May 31, 2004 11:27 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

quote:
Only lvl 31? huh, no, that's not good, certanly not good

No, it's very good. The lower the level when you finish means that you're a better fighting and don't need enormous amounts of strenght and hp to defeat an enemy.

I played as a merc first time too. Still think that's the best guild.
Post Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:48 am
NeoCodex
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

in my opinion, it's not good because he missed a lot of fighting, and perhaps many quests too. well, you see, i'm a perfectionist and always try to do everything right and reach the highest level possible. do every quest, kill every orc, get as much xp as possible, that's my method. and after i run out of monsters and quests, i simply beat the hell out of townsfolk and landowners mercenaries. that gives you some xp too.

but i've never tryed to finish the game with a lower level, it was always above 40. i think the highest level i ever aquired was with tah mage. with mass destruction, i managed to kill all the orcs around the castle in the valley of mines. and paladins too. how brutal
Post Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:14 am