FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Proportionately hard monsters?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread

Proportionately hard monsters?

i haven't been playing this game long, but I've got to level 12-13 on my characters, and i've noticed that every monster i encounter seems to be on par with my level..... even newbie places like arnika road !

Levelling up and trying my new powers is my favourite thing to do in these games -- but whenever i level up, the monsters seem to level up too

Are the monsters you encounter proportionate to your party's levels? If so, doesn't that destroy the point in levelling up?

Does it continue like this all the way through the game?

Thanks
Post Mon May 06, 2002 5:30 pm

Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Monsters autoleveling remains for all of us mistery (at least in Wizardry 8).

Monsters are not completely autoleveling. But you will meat stronger monsters when you enter areas with stronger characters. But this is not entirely true.
There are monsters which seems not to level up (quest monsters). All areas seems to have cap. Or something like cap. I mean when you return to monastery or to areas near monastery much later, monster will be not strong. Probably stronger than ever before in these areas, but still one really weak fireball will kill them all.

Again - ussually when you are too weak for some area and you go somewhere else to train your characters a little bit, when you return it will be much easier to beat monster in area you should flee before.
Post Mon May 06, 2002 5:38 pm
Bilbo
High Emperor
High Emperor

See the thread "It's easier the second time around" for more commentary on auto-leveling.

Direct link added:
http://www.rpgdot.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4772&start=0

Last edited by Bilbo on Wed May 08, 2002 12:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Mon May 06, 2002 11:53 pm

Thanks

Thanks for the comprehensive response - that seems to make sense.

Though I am disappointed by the mechanics of this system It kinda makes a mockery of the whole concept of levelling up.

Ah well -- guess Wizardry isn't the game for me.
Post Tue May 07, 2002 12:08 am

dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

I find that it keeps the game fresh. What's the point of becoming all-powerful if nothing forces you to exercise your power? You need to have some decent critters to kill or you'll never feel the joy of your tanks hitting for 150HP in a round.
Post Tue May 07, 2002 12:49 am

Totally agree, what's the point of being a level 30 killing machine and being confronted by level 1 butterflies! You need simply sneeze and they die, the BG series got like this, sure it fun to whomp everything that moves ... for the first 15 minutes, but then it gets a bit dull.

The Wiz8 system keeps the game fresh. Each area has a min and max monster level anyway, so if you feel like whomping some slimes, go back to those areas, and then when you're ready for a decent challenge return to other areas and get a fight worthy of your party.

Anyway, that's 1c (taxman took the other cent )

Stick with the game, it will be worth it.

Wolfie
Designer of the Wiz8SpellAbility spreadsheet
http://wiz8.web1000.com/
Post Tue May 07, 2002 4:41 am