Path o' the mage
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
VPeric
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

Path o' the mage

So, I'm interested to know, what do you usually do when you play as a mage? Do you save up LP beforehand, and get as much mana/spells as you can as soon as possible, or do you spend your LPs on some fighting skills then slowly develop magic abilities as you progress? Do you go to the monastery as soon as you can (ie. as soon as you get some gold) or wait a while, try to get as much exp as possible... etc.

(as a side note, I think this is the first topic I made on the forums, even after being here for so long. )
Post Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:30 am
Dunmer King
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

I tend to spend a few LPs early on to get some basic fighting skills, about first expirence level with two hand or one hand depending on how I'm feeling. Despite how great a mage you are, you run out of mana eventually.
And furthermore, I tend to go straight to the monastery as soon as I can(which takes awhile anyway) if nothing else then to get the armor, and the expirence for the mage's quests. As soon as I have the armor and some skills, I tend to go out and do more quests.
Post Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:35 am
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

It depends on what you want. However a few points spent in fighting skills are needed anyway, because at first you'll need to be able to fall back to melee or ranged (bow/crossbow). But that's only 30% or so.
You can however first clean out the entire world of chapter one in your leather armor (even the orc elite can be done with leather armor ) and train your strength and skill to like 70 and 75%.

It doesn't matter which way you choose, the difference will be very little. With the first one you'll be more mage, imo and will have some more mana. But even with the second way you can get like 350 mana, which is plenty. Both ways will make you overpowered around chapter 4.
Post Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:59 pm
Drake5
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Dexterity is my friend. There are dex based swords, so you don't have to worry about strength. Then I raise crossbow as far as I can. I learn skinning and the thief skills; everything else is magic. After Destroy Undead, I'm pretty much unbeatable.
Post Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:20 pm
Ollweird
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I always save all of my LP and I dont train fighting skills at all only magic.
I go to the monastery as fast as I can cuz there I get a armor and exp.
Post Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:58 am
madhatter4433
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

if ya guys read any tips for mages part or the lil book that comes with it. it pretty much says don't put a thing in fighting put everything in magic cuz your gonna cast alot of spells. people say practice fighting too cuz if ya run out of mana and mana potions.. reason that happens is becuase ya put the points in str or fighting skills or dex in the first place.. i mean yeah befor ya get runes mages are expensive as hell but atleast ya wont run out of mana to often. and test of fire is a pain... but lots of exp off of it. i clearen the whole world of chap 1 withy only useing about 5 potions.
Post Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:08 pm
Dunmer King
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

I've tried to save LPs but I always die. I find it far easier to just put points into fighting so that as soon as the enemy closes in after magicing it, one good swing finishes it. At least put enough strength to wield a decent weapon other then sticks and the like.
Post Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:49 am