Usergroups
Ultima - all games online?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Ultima

Author Thread
hwfanatic
Average Fanatic
Average Fanatic

And, where can one purchase such a compilation disk?

Aw, UltmaDot was the first place I could think of to seek this information, but the stuff there is rather confusing for a total newbie like myself... And, what's with the remakes? Those that aren't cancelled are still pending.

I'm actually looking forward to the remake of UIX with Morrowind engine, as I don't appreciate older graphics (nor do I mind it, but when you have the choice...). Should I still play the original?

@Val Well that post of yours (wherever it was, don't remember now) was really... what was the word... touching, yes!
Post Fri Nov 07, 2003 1:52 pm
Parcival
Rightful Heir To The Throne

quote:
Originally posted by the mighty stamar
All of the ultima games through 8 are legitimate abandonware, released by the publisher.

This is nonsense.

Ultima IV has been released for free to promote Ultima 9. Therefor Ultima IV is the only Ultima that is concidered freeware. Legaly this is not true, but I have read on several occasions that EA granted permission U4 could be distributed by members of the UDIC.

Parc
Post Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:09 pm
Parcival

Ultima for NewBe's

The first Ultima dates back to 1979. In the rpgdot database, it sais 1980, but thats becouse you can't enter a date prior to that.

If you like old graphics an a 'classic rpg' gameplay, You could very well start of with Ultima I. The best Ultima are among 4 through 7.
If you read the manuals, you could start out with ultima 4.

If you don't like old graphic, avoid any ultima before no 7, and even number 7 and 8 could turn you off. There are very playable and not 'compleatly' outdated, but still in no way they van catch up with modern games.

If you have never played an ultima before and like modern 3d graphics; Ultima 9 is your thing. Lots of long time ultima fans were disappointed by U9, but hey: your not a long time ultima fan, so why bother about nitpicks from the past.
Ultima 9 is close to Gothic in gameplay, but offers a brighter and more virtueus world. U9 was released in 1999, but much ahead of its time. Dont compare it with a 2003 released shooter, but I concider the graphics and world-build still state of the art. Its still available at amazon. Youll need to installe the patch from www.ultima-ascension.com

There are numerous upgrades / spinnoffs and remake projects (over 100, the most important and active ones, about 35 are covered by UltimaDot).
- upgrades: several improve ultima's 1 throug 8. Browse UltimaDot to find out
- Remakes: Ultima 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9 are being remade. The remake of 1 is canceled. None of these projects is finished yes, except for a not so interesting mod for NWN based on U4.
- Spinn offs. There are some Ultima Inspired games / projects. Brows UltimaDot to find out. There are at least 4 offical spinn-offs: Savage Empire, and Martina Dreams (both U6 engine) and Ultima Underworld I & II (a system shock like engine), UU 1&2 are 1ste person 3d. But as they date back to 1992, you have to like the old graphics. Gameplay however is quite modern; Arx alike (or in fact: Arx is loosly based on the underworlds).

The Ultima Reference Card is a good place to start your Ultima websurf experience.

Enjoy,

Parc
Post Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:22 pm
hwfanatic
Average Fanatic
Average Fanatic

Many thanks, Parcival.
Post Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:55 pm
Parcival

Your welcome!

PS

quote:
Originally posted by HWFanatiC
And, where can one purchase such a compilation disk?

To buy an ultima, you could of course visit the RPGdot shop.
All entries lead to Amazon, but if you order them through the rpgdot link, you support RPGdot.

Parc

Ultima at the RPGdot shop
Post Fri Nov 07, 2003 4:08 pm
Dwango
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Also, if you find you like Ultima VI, and find you love the Ultima series, you may try to find copies of Worlds of Ultima. There were two, the Savage Frontier where you go to the lands of Dinosaurs, and Martian Dreams, where you find yourself on Mars with some of the earth's greatest thinkers. The both follow a 1920 adventurers theme, kind of like Flash Gordon or Tarzan adventures. But, copies are rare and kind of expensive. You may be able to find "free" copies on the net ( theunderdogs?)

Also, if you really want to know what each Ultima package had, try this site. The Ultima Collector's Guide. Even if you aren't a collector, its a fine resource for the original art of the games. See how Ultima 2 looks like a Sci Fi RPG?

Finally, Ultima Underworlds are fun games in the vein of Arx Fatalis. But I thought they weren't really considered Ultima games. They were done by Looking Glass studios and are really part of their System Shock, Thief style games. Ultima is only the setting.

-Dwango
Post Fri Nov 07, 2003 6:17 pm
Parcival

quote:
Originally posted by Dwango
Finally, Ultima Underworlds are fun games in the vein of Arx Fatalis. But I thought they weren't really considered Ultima games. They were done by Looking Glass studios and are really part of their System Shock, Thief style games. Ultima is only the setting.

Though a spinn-off, the Underworlds are concidered true ultima games by most people (ultima dragons). Though i never played system shock I always asumed the only overlap with the underworld games was the the game engine. Underworld is IMHO very different fron the thief style games. Much more dialogue, object inventory, magic, a richer world etc.
Most fan made Ultima timelines incorporate the underworld storyline.

Parc

Nice link on the ss and underworld engine (freaks and hackers only):
http://tsshp.sourceforge.net/
Post Fri Nov 07, 2003 11:16 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2