Just finished Gothic 2 for the 3rd time, 1st time with NotR
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
Fitz_Chivalry
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Just finished Gothic 2 for the 3rd time, 1st time with NotR

I'm about as big a CRPG fan as they come. I've played several RPGs ranging from the PC D&D simulations to discontinued MMORPGs to the most effeminate PlayStation 2 JRPGs. What can I say? I love a story and some stat building in mah vidder game.

I have just completed Gothic 2 for the third time, making it stand alone with Final Fantasy X as the only RPGs that I thought were compelling enough to endure for a third time, although it certainly helped having Night of the Raven this go-around.

Thoughts and questions:

* Has anyone EVER been able to complete Gothic 2 from start to finish with a straight up melee character? I tried it this time and I didn't get very far. I eventually had to go back to ranged weapons. There are just too many mobs of orcs, wargs and other powerful enemies to make it possible to last as a sword-wielding character until the very last levels when your stats are so high, you go through everything like buttah.

* I have to say, after a third time through this game, the dragons still suck! It's cool to face large dragons, but I think 75% of my battles with them have resulted in them either the dragon either freezing or accidentally getting stuck on the terrain, and my archer simply launching arrow after arrow with little reistance.

* Loved the new content in Night of the Raven, although it appears I completely missed out on a bandit/pirate quest from Dexter. I wish the story in the expansion could have been better tied into the main story somehow, because the strange new land didn't feel like it belonged, I almost felt like I was leaving the mainland to the death and destruction of the dragons and orcs by taking so long on the portal land. LOL I really needed to complete NotR, though, to progress beyond Chapter 3 in the regular campaign. The seekers are freaking hard now! They BBQ my character before he even gets close to them if I haven't leveld up quite a bit.

* Have the developers ever thought of a Gothic MMORPG? Because that's what this game feels like. It feels like a huge offline MMORPG and I think it's what appeals to me the most. It is a grueling level by level, non-combat skill emphasis, trial through error, hackfest that doesn't hold me by the hand and expect me to visit the world in a certain linear order. I think that's what I most love about Gothic. This game has MMORPG written all over it. I'd love to play other Gothic fans in an online world.

Anyways, great game as usual! I can't believe this game doesn't get better sales and reviews in North America. I guess American gamers want easier stuff now. If the developers of Gothic read these forums, keep up the great work guys and gals! I can't wait to get my hands on Gothic 3. I just hope you keep the exact same format as described above (grueling level by level hack etc....) and only increase the graphics because I love this game just the way it is.
Post Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:11 am
bjon045
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

I played through as a pure melee merc. Orc's do pose a problem at first but once you are comfortable with the dodge back - swing combo they drop pretty easily. Some monsters (in NoTR) like wargs you just have to dodge until you get high enough level to be able to take them out quickly. I found the fire dragon and the final undead dragon really tough fights, at that point I could drop an orc elite in 2 swings but couldn't damage the undead one quick enough and had to use the black ore(most overpowered item in the game) to take him down.
Post Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:46 am
MafioZo
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Played as the pure 1h sword paladin. Was hard vs dragon, other than that just fine.
Post Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:17 am
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

Welcome to the forums.

To answer your questions:

1. I've never played as a pure ranged character. I've only played pure melee or pure magic. Pure melee is in my opinion by far the easiest way.

2. I've never had problems with the dragons. No bugs, glitches, whatever. They were easy in G2 and a lot more challenging in NotR, but never buggy.

3. I loved it too. The addon is made quite some time later and obviously the developers had different ideas than they had with the original Gothic 2. The new world is beautiful, but, although the story is good, it is a little bit a stand-alone story, because it has nothing to do with the Eye of Innos and the Dragons.

4. Thank Innos they didn't make it a MMORPG. With such a free-roaming world full of quests and things to see and explore, masses of players shouting over the chat and stealing eachothers loot would be horrible. I've played a few MMORPG's and MM always brought me back to single-player RPG's.
A matter of taste, probably.
Post Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:27 pm