Question for those of you who finished the game as a ranger
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Spoilers, Tips & Tricks

Author Thread
Joeman
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Question for those of you who finished the game as a ranger

Right now I am replaying as a ranger. I noticed I can't kill minecrawler queen with arrows. Are there any more critters which I can't kill with arrows? I can think off Xardas's guardians, and maybe trolls. What else?

Do I need to put points into both bows and crossbows? According to Jemym's FAQ, bow is better for multiple enemies and crossbow is better for single large enemy.

What do you think is the hardest part of the game?

Thanks.
Post Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:40 pm
jmurdock
Old Fogey
Old Fogey

Mine crawler queen can be killed with a bow. Need a strong bow is all. The Bone bow is the minimum I think.

I didn't think the number of enemies had anything to do with the choice of bow or xbow unless the targeting is easier with bow. I didn't have any trouble with xbow. I ended up putting points in both cause I started as merc. Had to wait for Scorpio to leave old camp before I could learn xbow.

Except for the troll which are hard to kill with anything in G1 (unless you shrink monster of course), I don't know what else won't succumb to bow or xbow.

The hardest part for me as a ranger was the beginning of freeing the new mine. But that's a b---- for anybody I think.

You still end up having to use swords as a ranger on account of Uriziel though

REMEMBER... Many saves, many slots!!!
Post Thu Jan 29, 2004 7:01 am
Joeman
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

quote:
Originally posted by jmurdock
Mine crawler queen can be killed with a bow. Need a strong bow is all. The Bone bow is the minimum I think.

I didn't think the number of enemies had anything to do with the choice of bow or xbow unless the targeting is easier with bow. I didn't have any trouble with xbow. I ended up putting points in both cause I started as merc. Had to wait for Scorpio to leave old camp before I could learn xbow.

Except for the troll which are hard to kill with anything in G1 (unless you shrink monster of course), I don't know what else won't succumb to bow or xbow.

The hardest part for me as a ranger was the beginning of freeing the new mine. But that's a b---- for anybody I think.

You still end up having to use swords as a ranger on account of Uriziel though

Strange.

I actually got a light cross bow at the beginning by luring an orc dog to the guard sitting by the tree and have him killed. (forgot his name) It does 45 damage which is way more than anything you can buy for quite awhile. Still it doesn't hurt minecrawler queen. If you what you said is true, I will just stick with crossbows for the rest of the game.

Shrink monster is new to me. I should try that. Thanks for the tip. In the past I had to kill the troll th hard way. (hit and run)

Oh the free mine part is actually very easy if you know the short cut. At the beginning, there is a tough guard and a bunch of guys shooting at you, jump down to your right. Only the guard will follow you. The toughest part is killing the guard 1v1 since he is a good melee fighter. After that go down to the tunnel and turn toward right. There is a place you can jump down without being hurt. Keep jumping down you will see 2 warrior minecrawlers. You are at the lowest part of of the mine. Climb up you will then see the orc slave. After that all the fights are easy. All the guards will be facing the opposite direction of where you will come from. You don't need to climb down the ladders while guards are shooting at you.
Post Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:13 pm
jmurdock
Old Fogey
Old Fogey

I didn't say before, the minecrawler qqueen would take like 250 arrows to get down to where I could use a stonecrusher to finish her off. I think you need critical hits to do any damage to her. I think I was lvl 1 bow with the bone bow.

Bugger, I didn't know you could avoid the crossbowmen. I knew you could get in where the orc slave was, that's why I said the beginning of the quest. I ought to try that sometime. Always in the past would use a speed potion, ice block the guard, run get one xbowman while Gorn got the other one. By then the guard would be free. Pain in the arse that way. I always just figured you'ld die jumping.

Post Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:42 pm
Beppe
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

250 arrows???
Post Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:16 pm
jmurdock
Old Fogey
Old Fogey

Yeah, had 50 of my own and had to buy all the other arrows in the mine. Looked like only critical hits hurt her.

Post Fri Feb 06, 2004 6:35 pm
Ricky
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Don't tell that any of you ever figured out that crawlers are damn much resistant to arrows and bolts!? If ya gonna be a ranger then I got a few hints, the damage of the (x)bow is not the only thing that counts. For every dexterity point you have you do one more damage, and that means that 50 in dexterity makes you do 50 more in damage with (x)bows. Besides you MUST train in some kind of closecombat, and I would suggest 2-handers because of Uriziel, but that means you'll have to wait until chapter 4!
Post Mon Mar 01, 2004 11:40 pm
jmurdock
Old Fogey
Old Fogey

Tried bow first as she was killing me with 2 blows whenever I got close enough to use stonecrusher. Figured I get her down as far as possible with bow then go after with stonecrusher. Also, couldn't get 2H in Gothic before killing queen anyway.

Post Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:09 am
balconygolf_ThE_bRiDe
Alien Dwarf
Alien Dwarf

quote:
Originally posted by Ricky
and I would suggest 2-handers because of Uriziel, but that means you'll have to wait until chapter 4!

In order to make the four "Ctrl-up arrow key" combo with Uriziel you dont need to be trained or be a master at 2-handed weapons.If you only are a master at 1-handed or 2-handed thats enough for Uriziel.
Post Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:20 am
Ricky
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Really? Kinda nice ehh ... Well, then I better recommend 1-handers since they require less experience point
Post Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:24 am
Joeman
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

I finished the game with ranger and it's the easier to play then warrior or mage. Get crossbow from someone, join old camp and train with Scorpion you will be unstoppable. I wiped out entire orc town just shooting arrows without any trouble.

There are a few things that are immune or have high resistance to arrows. Skeletons and trolls are totally immune. I think Zombies, undead orc shamans, and Cor Kalom's men are as well.
Post Tue Mar 02, 2004 1:55 am
balconygolf_ThE_bRiDe
Alien Dwarf
Alien Dwarf

Skeletons and Cor Kalom's guys are not immune to arrows.
Post Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:06 pm