Usergroups
EA's Project Gray Company Revealed
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
abbaon
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

...huh? Will they spontaneously form and reform developer-publisher-gamer triumvirates to tackle the problem?
Post Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:35 pm
doctor_kaz
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Re: EA + RPGs = uh oh!

quote:
Originally posted by Wolfie_
Are we starting to see computer game publishers get MTS? MTS, or also known as "Me Too Syndrome", refers to the phenomenon where for example, one person buys a super-mega-phonic seven speaker surround sound system for their home entertainment system, and soon after a number of their friends also start to sport similar setups (and there's always that one guy that just has to get the eight! speaker version, just because).

Reading the overview Dhruin posted, it could almost be used verbatim to describe Oblivion. I just wonder how many RPG proposals / design ideas etc like this "Project Grey" have been sitting on a shelf in EA, and it's only after the sales volume of Oblivion that they have been dusted off and re-looked at.

"starting to"? That's all these major publishers have been doing for years. At least in this case, the "Me Too" might be a goddamn single player RPG, and not an MMORPG or an RTS.
Post Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:28 pm
mogwins
Village Leader
Village Leader

From the concept art it's clear they're trying to cash in on the Lord of the Rings phenomenon. The troll sketches look like they were stolen from WETA's offices!
Post Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:30 pm
ToddMcF2002
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

So... people complained in 2005 that there were so few Single Player RPG's in development. Now they are complaining when Oblivion helps get a bunch of projects green lit?

Who cares if its "me too". Bring it on!
Post Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:42 pm
mogwins
Village Leader
Village Leader

quote:
Originally posted by ToddMcF2002
So... people complained in 2005 that there were so few Single Player RPG's in development. Now they are complaining when Oblivion helps get a bunch of projects green lit?

Who cares if its "me too". Bring it on!

I'm inclined to agree. I think the majority of these single player RPGs will be Oblivionesque (i.e. RPG lite), but if there's a load of them, it's possible developers will start taking small steps away from the norm to make their game stand out slightly from the pack. Hopefully these small steps will lead us back to proper RPGs. One can but hope....
Post Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:04 pm
Hmmm

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Markus
Something tells me this is going to be more like Fable than Oblivion. I'd bet money this is going to be another dual release on the XBox 360 and PC.

Oblivion IS Fable, a console crap game. EA sure ain't gonna make real pc rpg game, that's for sure. Dual release with cheesyass console game followed by fucked up pc game. Mind as well give up now, I really don't want to play console game.
Post Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:12 pm

Grumpy Ghost

Ggmos

I'm skeptical as well.

If they bring in 1,000 developers, and produce the worlds most bland, generic, high fantasy game ever, then I will not be buying it. They need a vision and a specific world.

I now look into the crystal ball and see the future:

EA is proud to Announce "Gary Gigax's Massive Open Storyland Dope". You now can play in a wide open world of adventure as an Orc, Swashbuckler, Yeti, Anime teenager in panties, or Forest Ranger Vulcan.€€

Explore virtually thousands of unique characters who eat, drink, sleep, fart, and talk to each other.

Become a dashing hero who says 'Yes I can help you" to everyone and constantly reunites lost children with their parents in town, or an evil sorceror who decapitates half-dresseed prostitutes along the Green River.

Eat many varieties of food and drink many varieties of drink to coat yourself in DX 9 effects that influence how often you can jump.

WIth over 10 billion item combinations, you will be able to make a Death Sword of Special Combat Moves from a stick and an apple. Or add "OF FIRE" to it by adding some FIRE SWORD PLANT to the mix.

With an original score by Jonathan Williams, Massive Open Storyland Dope brings you all of the melodrama and thematic underscore without all of that annoying story arcing.

Forget where you are going or why? THat's ok/. With new DopeAssist, you can play our game while COMPLETELY STONED. That's right. Drunk, stoned, or half-dead, our Adventure Completer Compass Master 3000 will do all of the work for you, for only $0.99 per minute

Gary Gixax's Massive Open Storyland Dope will feature over 1,000,000 hours of recorded dialogue, and feature top named actors like that guy from Frasier. Dialogue will all be recorded extremely slowly and in a monotone, so don't you fear, oh profitable ESL marketplace!

The game engine will be action packed, with the unique ability to deliver one-liners, just before you off some random gigantic beast for no reason. Snidely retort "Go Home to your Bitch Mama!" before you bash the skull in of a fourty story tall orc guarding the entrance to the Secret Headquarters of the Hot Angels of Doom.

GGMOS will also feature SUPER DEATHS for your more hated enemies, Just as you eviscerate the guts of a 87 foot tall Undead Tyranosaurus, watch as a pit with spikes opens up so that, as the beast is about to die, it falls into the pit for 5 minutes until landing on deadly spikes! ITS JUST LIKE HOLLYWOOD.

Don't forget. GGMOS will feature an extensive array of clothing options, including panty colors, pubic hair colors, and even the ability to place birthmarks on female avatars wherever you like! Breast sizes will include "huge", "super-huge", and "Where did that female avatar go, all I see are two breasts."

Want to be a crafter. GGMOS has a system called "Thats the Best Thing Ever" simulator. All NPCs will think you are the awesomest and buy whatever you make. As you gain skill, they will say you are even more awesomer.

Want companions for your adventures? GGMOS will feature super companions, designed to use the AI of SIMS 2 to help you kick some serious 78 foot tall ass. Companions will feature diverse backgrounds such as "No, I cannot devulge my dark past to you until we kick butt 54 more times." and "Take me to bed, you sexy thing." Other characters will provide more a wide range of interactions, including French Maid, Cheerleader, and Drunk College Girl. Nurses will be included in an expansion pack to be released soon after release.

"I think we are building something bigger than any of us can imagine," says executive producer Raelian Clone. This will trully be a NEXT GENERATION ROLE PLAYING GAME!
Post Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:34 pm

mogwins
Village Leader
Village Leader

Re: Ggmos

quote:
Originally posted by Grumpy Ghost
I'm skeptical as well.

*snip*

It's funny cos it's so very close to the truth.
Post Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:34 pm
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

Yeah, but it will sell millions!!

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:45 am
Wolfie_

Nice one Grumpy Ghost, needed a good chuckle.

Post Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:20 am

ToddMcF2002
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

It depresses me to hear all this complaining. Without the "me too" RPG's coming off LOTR and Oblivion hype what are we left with?

- Call of Duty - Italian Theatre
- Quake 5
- Splinter Cell Viva Las Vegas
- Tom Clancy Rainbow 97
- MMO Who f*cking cares
- Half Life 2 Episode take my money
- SiN Episode take my money
- FEAR 2 BWNMSAG (Because We Need More Squad Assault Games)
- 25 spanking new WW2 titles for your gunning pleasure
Post Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:55 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2