Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Why do you like, or dislike, about Morrowind?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Snoekie
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

For me it's a couple of things but I will name only one.

My number 1 reason is the freedom you get in the worlds that Bethesda makes. You can go anywhere and do just about anything. No need to follow the main plot if you don't want to.

What do you like/dislike about the game so much?

Snoekie
Post Wed Jul 25, 2001 9:05 am
Stiletto
God Emperor
God Emperor

I have never played a Bethseda game. From the talk about this one though, I am looking forward to playing my first. Hopefully they will keep to what have made the other games so great, and give me a good first taste of their products!

Post Wed Jul 25, 2001 11:22 am
Snoekie
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

I'm sure they will deliver a fine game this time around as well.
They must have learned with the mistakes they made with Daggerall (bugs!) so I'm betting Morrowind will be better in that respect.
You're gonna love it.

And congratulations on making it all the way to Nobleman, Stiletto

Snoekie
Post Wed Jul 25, 2001 3:13 pm

Morrowind looks very good, I have played both Daggerfall, Arena and even Skynet. As lone as they dont try to make their own 3D engine again this should be a gem!
Post Wed Jul 25, 2001 10:52 pm

Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

They have made bad games as well. Battlespire comes to my mind...

Post Thu Jul 26, 2001 5:55 am

I wrote this as an answer when somebody told that Morrowind is his possible choice instead of cancelled Thorn. I was informed by moderator that I was in a bad forum (for Morrowind discussion) so I just repost it here. All people here are so positive about Morrowind, so for a change something else:

I rather distrust Morrowind. I played about 1/3 of Arena, then threw it away - it looked nice, but it was a boring action game, which looked big but it was not (generated towns and dungeons - you knew a few and you knew everything), stupid story (ask for somebody who knows about the place where the next staff piece is, do something for him (meaning go to one dungeon), then go for the staff piece to another dungeon, then ask for somebody who knows about other piece and repeat ...

Quick real time combat, stupid idea how to handle sword (ride by mouse from side to side to swing the sword - how I hated it...).

The worst RPG (well, probably more action game than RPG)I ever saw.

I know that there will be no generated dungeons in Morrowind, but I still suspect that it will be just a quick action game (just Diablo 2 in true 3D)

Mirek

[ This Message was edited by: Stiletto on 2001-07-26 05:25 ]
Post Thu Jul 26, 2001 10:09 am

Stiletto
God Emperor
God Emperor

No problems Mirek, a little cut and paste action and your post can be anywhere. Glad we found a good place for your Anti-Morrowind opinions. Of course you might just be setting yourself up to be beat up by all these Morrowind fanatics around here <:

Post Thu Jul 26, 2001 10:29 am
HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

Mirek:

Arena was boring in some aspects, because
the sequence of events was mechanistically.
But it shows promise in let you doing whatever you like to do. The freedom not to
follow a plot.
Daggerfall was better in every way and i hope
that Morrowind will be the masterpiece
Post Thu Jul 26, 2001 10:52 am

I will be glad if Morrowind proves my fears wrong (there is always shortage of good RPG ), but I doubt it (empty action rules nowadays).

These are different types of games (action RPGs) and if they were not stubbornly presenting themselves as RPG, I would not bother with them at all (as I ignore sport games, shooters etc.).

Well, I guess I will return to my turn based dungeons.

Mirek
Post Thu Jul 26, 2001 12:57 pm

Snoekie
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

Well, I'm still betting that Morrowind will be a breakthrough in rpg gaming.
Provided that they *DO* deliver the goods as promised.
Ok, a patch or two will follow after release, I'm used to that, but I wouldn't like to see the Daggerfall bugfest all over again.
But I'm sure they will have learned from that.

And perhaps because I like other game genres too (shooters, sports games, etc) I'm more prone to like a "not 100% rpg" game.
On the other hand, I didn't like Diablo or BG very much. I just couldn't attach myself to my characters or the world they live with the infinity engine.
I prefer 1st person view, or after that, 3d person view.

Then ofcourse, it could also be that I'm just absolutly STARVING for a good rpg and am grasping at straws

Snoekie.
Post Sat Jul 28, 2001 10:27 am
Stiletto
God Emperor
God Emperor

I would have to say that I too enjoy the first or close up third person views the best. I didn't really get drawn into Baldurs Gate myself either. I played it for awhile, but I did not find my self impatient to start it up again. Morrowind definately has some nice looking graphics. Lets hope they do pull it all together and have a relatively bug free product. I didn't play Daggerfall, but I know how frustrating it is to play a bug ridden game. *cough* Ultima 9 *cough*
Post Sun Jul 29, 2001 2:43 pm
Lanael
City Guard
City Guard

Morrowind seems really cool !
Another game I can't help for buying.
* Hope there will be a 1st person view key !
* Realtime shadows are cool; they should be included in all 3D games !

[ And they should be used in thief 3 but they choose the Unreal engine ( argh ! ) ]

Post Mon Jul 30, 2001 7:42 am
Stiletto
God Emperor
God Emperor

I look forward to the day when not only shadows are present in every RPG. But you can find a nice light source, and make shadow puppets on the walls. Just imagine, GeForce 4 & Radeon 3 now with per pixel shadow puppet shaders!

Post Mon Jul 30, 2001 10:34 am
Snoekie
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

Lanael: Morrowind is played with a 1st person view per default. I think they added a 3d person view (or as the devs call it: vanity mode) just so you could see how cool your new armor/weapon looks
I don't believe it is intended for actual playing but it might be.
Switching between the two would be nice.
And with all that fancy new tech they're using it's probably going to look very cool!

Snoekie the handpuppet...eerhm...never mind
Post Mon Jul 30, 2001 2:35 pm
Lanael
City Guard
City Guard

oh really nice, so !

I'm actually playing Ultima 9 and the first person view is not really intended to play with as it seems...
I ashamed I haven't playing it before; but I'm glad to see it running so slow on an actual machine ( I can't even imagine it running with a 2 years old config !! )

Post Mon Jul 30, 2001 8:54 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next