Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Best RPG game... ever!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread

Gothic is definetly the best RPG where you control a single person in a first or third person view. To decide which is the best RPG where you control a party is tough because there are so many great ones. I would
have to say that Interplay(Black Isle & Bioware) has produced the best though. Baldurs Gate and BG2, Icewind Dale, and Planescape Torment are all incredible! They also gave us Fallout 1 and 2.

P.S. The award for most underated and unknown CRPG goes to Wizards and Warriors.
If you guys like Wizardry style RPG's you MUST try this game. IMHO it is way better than Wizardry 8. You can pick it up for $10-$20 at Funcoland or Gamestop. It never got the attention it deserves and it had some bugs but get the patch and it is an awsome game.
Post Mon Apr 08, 2002 9:50 am

Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

quote:

On 2002-04-07 12:35, Anonymous wrote:
quote:

On 2002-04-07 12:23, Rawis wrote:
Maybe i should tell why i choose Arcanum:

First of all, the story, its just excellent! Then the graphics, its just how a real RPG should look, and the music are great to. And the combination of magic(k) and tech is just great.

Smoke crack often?

What is your problem?
Post Mon Apr 08, 2002 1:16 pm

Arcanum was a decent game but no way in hell does it rank above Baldurs Gate or Fallout!
Post Mon Apr 08, 2002 8:01 pm

Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:

On 2002-04-08 15:01, Anonymous wrote:

Arcanum was a decent game but no way in hell does it rank above Baldurs Gate or Fallout!

Not for you, but it does not mean that others can not have other opinions.
Post Mon Apr 08, 2002 8:12 pm
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

definitely pac man
Post Mon Apr 08, 2002 8:13 pm

That IS an opinion.
Post Mon Apr 08, 2002 9:10 pm

Incindium
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

It's a toss up between:

Dragon Wars
Lands of Lore
Betrayal at Krondor

Mainly because I actually finished all three of them unlike the majority of RPG's I have played. Which is due to the excellence of each of the three.

Daggerfall would be my runner up pick. I never completed it or even came close, but of the rest of them its the CRPG that I have the most fond memories of playing.
Post Mon Apr 08, 2002 10:32 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Hm. Not too easy for me. Very high in my ranks are: Bard's Tale (the first one I remember playing when it came out), Dungeon Master (got me hooked for nights), both Ultima Underworlds, Daggerfall (I wasn't playing, I was living in there), Diablo (don't bash me, it was FUN and I actually finished it), M&M 6 for sure, to some extent Wizards & Warriors, Gothic, and now Wizardry 8.

But I am quite sure Morrowind will beat them all

Post Mon Apr 08, 2002 10:42 pm
Quedmar
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I would have to go with Betrayal at Krondor it was so good that I had to go read the books

Post Tue Apr 09, 2002 2:48 am

Just went and downloaded Betrayal at Krondor. I though I would give it a try because so many people talk about it. It seems to have a cool story but I just couldn't get past those awful 1993 graphics.
Someone should remake it with a 3D engine.
Post Tue Apr 09, 2002 5:14 am

jasuk70
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

My favourite by far has been Wizardry 8. I like the way your characters improve by actually doing things as well as levelling. It had great atmosphere and a good (Althogh sometimes long winded) turn based combat system. The personalities that were given to the characters were a really good feature. Much better than the ones used in the latter MM series.

I have learnt to lothe the Isometric games (Baulders Gate series/Pools of Radiance II) and would much prefer to see those games more like Dungon Keeper i.e. you can move the view around. I still like the Bards tale type of game, where it's 3d of sorts but you move in blocks instead of full 3d, like the earlier MM series (MM3 was my favourite game on my Amiga)

I've never managed to get the ultima underworld games to work on my PC's and am really looking forward to seeing/Playing Ultima Underworld on my Compaq iPAQ. Which is being done by Zio Soft.

Just my opions..

Jas
Post Tue Apr 09, 2002 1:58 pm
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

Gothic is my favorite, ever, no contest at all.

I have to say that Dungeon Siege is a total blast and makes an easy second place.

I thought Arcanum was pretty fun. It wouldn't have turned me on to CRPGs if it had been my first, though.

''Perhaps I'm old and tired but I always think that the chances of finding out what really is going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say hang the sense of it and just keep yourself occupied. Look at me: I design coastlines. I got an award for Norway.''--Slartibartfast
Post Tue Apr 09, 2002 4:02 pm
jasuk70
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I've never played Gothic. (Infact i dont remember seeing it in the shops in the UK, i expect it is) I've now been tempted to download the demo to see what i've been missing.

Jas
Post Tue Apr 09, 2002 4:45 pm

Jasuk70, if like Wiz 8 so much then you should give Wizards and Warriors a try. It's very similar to Wiz 8 but I think the combat is much better. It was made by D.W. Bradley
who is the same guy who made Wiz 5,6 and 7.
Post Tue Apr 09, 2002 11:20 pm

Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

IT DOES NOT MATTER...

IN MAY, THE ROLE PLAYING GENRE WILL BE BLITZED BY THE MAMMOTH THAT IS MORROWIND.

Until then, Arcanum gets my vote.

Yes, the graphics suck
Yes, the sound sucks

But, the story, concept and non-linearity of the game easily make it the best cRPG to hit the PC gaming world in a long time.

[ This Message was edited by: Llama on 2002-04-09 18:41 ]
Post Tue Apr 09, 2002 11:40 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next