Shadowrun: the FPS
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Shadowrun: the FPS

Since we have mentioned a new Shadowrun game a couple of times, I thought I'd wrap that up with this final item. Shadowrun has indeed been announced for the PC and Xbox 360 but there's nary an RPG-lite element - it's a straight up multiplayer FPS. For those interested, you can check out the details and some screens at <a href="http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/706/706448p1.html" target="_blank">VE3D</a> but we won't cover it any further. Thanks to a couple of posters on our forums.
Post Wed May 10, 2006 1:01 pm
r3dshift
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

A shame it's gonna be a bland FPS. The Shadowrun universe holds an enormous potential; it would have deserved a mighty good cRPG...
Post Wed May 10, 2006 1:36 pm
GhanBuriGhan
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

What a pity. The best P&P campaigns I ever palyed were in shadowrun, a real RPG in that setting would have been something.
Post Wed May 10, 2006 1:40 pm

I guess it's time to seek out a genesis emulator along with a Shadowrun rom then
Post Wed May 10, 2006 4:15 pm

I loved the Shadowrun games for the genesis and snes and was hoping for a new one (especially with the lack of sci-fi rpgs) but am really dissapointed and will boycott this game and I hope it fails.
Post Wed May 10, 2006 5:54 pm

ToddMcF2002
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

If the game is anything like the prerendered trailer its not going to be so hot.
Post Wed May 10, 2006 7:13 pm
slak
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Another franchise ruined...
Post Wed May 10, 2006 7:18 pm
Carpathic
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Why does this keep happening, taking perfectly good RPG's and turning them into FPS? makes no sense.
Post Wed May 10, 2006 7:44 pm
Priest4hire
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Yeah, what with that massive bulk of RPGs that have been turned into FPS like... uh, what games exactly were you thinking of?

Anyway, ironically I didn't object to the idea of turning Shadowrun into a shooter of some kind. Actually I had an idea years ago it could make a very compelling shooter. Nor did I mind the idea that it would tweak the backstory a bit in order to fit in. I don't mind it taking place in 2021 or in Brazil. The backstory of Shadowrun is more than rich enough to allow for the early setting and yet loose enough to allow for original material.

But this travesty is Shadowrun in name only. Sure, I could imagine a good shooter in this setting but this game isn't in the Shadowrun setting. That it is set earlier is no excuse for making a game which is lacking in just about every element that makes the original game compelling. Sure, it has metahumans and magic. But they couldn't even get that right. Hell, I'm one of the most liberal when it comes to gaming styles and this even pisses me off.

Grammaton Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-
Post Fri May 12, 2006 8:45 pm