Members
Usergroups
RPGDot Feature: Dungeon Lords Review
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Garrett

RPGDot Feature: Dungeon Lords Review

A close look at Dungeon Lords...is it really as bad as everyone says? Click <a href="http://www.rpgdot.com/index.php?hsaction=10053&ID=1138">here</a> to find out how I liked it!
Post Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:05 pm
GothicGothicness
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Ehhr

This site should change name to RPGoveratingDot
Post Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:07 pm
Garrett

and before you say it:
yes, i do suck the developers' dicks and got paid from the publishers - but obviously not enough as I wanted 1 Mio $ and they only gave me 500k &...and that's why it is just 8/10, not 10/10!
Post Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:19 pm
GothicGothicness
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

:d

Well, I just think you should take more seriusly on the not finished part :S the dungeons are great fun though.

As for bribing well didn't they give you some stuff for a competition on this site?
Post Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:26 pm
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

Damn, you're cheap, Garrett . I dunno... cock-sucking or getting it on with Mrs. Camilla Parker-Bowles - hm... or... *tries to think up a terrifying example for our US readers*... ah Rosanne Barr - is where we're talking double digit millions in my case .
Post Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:31 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

I love it when I´m right. On Thursday Andy from Yiya asked me about our DL review. I told him Garrett will probably write the review and DL will get a good score. Dhruin would have been slightly less enthusiastic, I guess.
Post Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:02 pm
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

Great review Garrett. I'm sure you'll get flamed and your credibility as a reviewer will get called into question for it, and I'm sure you probably knew that. Its good to see a reviewer with some autonomy and that states it like he sees it, and risks the angry mob and backlash from it.
Post Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:09 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Ah well, I guess diversity makes the world go around. I would have scored < 4/10. It is undoubtedly the worst title I have ever paid full price for. For me, a comparison (even a hypothetical one if the game were finished) to Gothic or Morrowind is laughable.

Glad you enjoyed it, Garrett. If I started at 4/10 for the gameplay, then subtracted missing features, half the spells not working, class requirements don't work, worst journal evar! and broken scripting I might have ended up with a negative score.
Post Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:52 pm
GothicGothicness
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Maybe it's time for multiple reviews of one title? and take the average of the score?

GG
Post Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:11 pm
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

I think I would actually have given it 6/10 because once you ignore all the missing cosmetics and a few features we should have had, it's basically a fairly enjoyable, if not, overwhelming game. Ordinary is what I would call it, and for me, that's 6/10. Hey, does that make me the middle score!!!!

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:39 pm
Garrett

quote:
Originally posted by Roqua
Great review Garrett. I'm sure you'll get flamed and your credibility as a reviewer will get called into question for it, and I'm sure you probably knew that. Its good to see a reviewer with some autonomy and that states it like he sees it, and risks the angry mob and backlash from it.

thanks...well, it is more important to be true to myself and not rate a game low because others don't like it or expect me to rate low...that's more important than risk getting flames or questioned...

Last edited by Garrett on Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:29 am
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

Yes well I applaud your being true to yourself.

I would give it 6/10 too I dont think that ignores the good parts or the terrible parts because it has both.
Post Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:08 am
yeesh
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I'll get on the 6/10 bandwagon. It's got its moments, but to say that the combat is "extremely well done" is going beyond generous and into baffling. Melee is all about using the same combo over and over again, and magic is all about either cheating until you have 100 copies of a spell, or spending a lot of time waiting for your magic to recharge. The class system is beautifully complex, but has virtually no impact on the game because your character will play almost exactly the same regardless.
Post Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:54 am
Andreas
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

i think i have mastered aprox. 70%of the game and as usual, we play it thru the end.
i duscussed the game with gorath on the gothic 3 event and we talk about the pros (yes there are some) and the cons and the overal unfinished things, in fact the dungeons are a lot of fun, but in contrast the world outside is more or less not finished, it seems that "someone" pulled the powerstrip out of the whole
overall there are some creepy dungeons,some good fights and a Coop mode!, but there are also a lot of problems, bad AI, boring travelling on the main map etc.

it is not as bad as most reviews said, but its not a 8/10 either

but i see no problem in publishing to very different reviews about one game on the same site, we made it with "scrapland", i did not like the game and another reviewer of us liked it very much, so we published both

Andy
www.yiya.de
Post Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:00 am
Deg
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

But seriously Garrett... how much did you get paid for this? jk Im glad you didnt let yourself get influenced by all the negativity around the game and although i see the potential in it... fact remains they dumped it on the market without finishing it, something that everybody agrees on.

As far as myself is concerned, just as i dont buy a house with an amazing livingroom but they just didnt got around to putting a roof over it, neither will i buy this game. I think to stop this treating costumers as betatesters thing, we just have to stop giving them money. But that's just me
Post Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:27 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next