Is GTA San Andreas an RPG?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
cptmaxon
High Emperor
High Emperor

Is GTA San Andreas an RPG?

ok so here's the deal, is GTA an RPG? , I mean it is linear but alot of rpg's are like that, it has a lot of combat and just general skills that you have to work at to improve, and between drive bys you can even have a relationship (or several playa) , anyway what is your opion on the matter?
Post Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:39 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

No.

:]

Well, I don't think it is an RPG. However you are right, it is quite similar to some today's RPGs. For RPGs this shouldn't be the way to go, I'm afraid however that more and more RPGs will look like GTA. Not that it isn't a good game. In certain way, it is very good action game. Yet, I hope, RPGs won't be more and more action games with some RPG elements.
Post Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:16 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

I agree, It's an action game, where they have tried to implement some CRPG elements. Some people may even say it's a "hybrid", but i prefere to call a shovel, "a shovel".
The feel of the game is defently Action and not CRPG, The CRPG part is just a twist of lime in the drink.

I also agree that this game is very good, if you don't mind exessive violent games
Post Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:58 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

No, but it does head in the action/RPG direction. It's a great game - I love it - but I actually think the introduction of stats is a negative. It's such a minor part in terms of the impact on gameplay that it just gets in the way of the action.
Post Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:30 am
KasperFauerby
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

And they even added "equipment" for this latest version of the game

At least they haven't added an inventory screen and the option to pick up tons of useless junk to sell at the corner store yet - maybe in the next one?!?
Post Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:48 am
bjon045
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

GTA: Vice city was far more enjoyable for me. The newly added features just detracted from the fun. Stats had absoolutely no place in that game.

The hair cuts and stuff was just idiotic and who thought those dating games were fun?!?! give me a break, it was full of dancing games where you have to push the buttons in time - you might enjoy that if your retarded monkey who enjoys banging on bongo drums. I would have much prefered more of those property based missions that were quite fun in GTA:Vice city. I did enjoy the core part of the GTA:SA game though but I thought they made too many deviatations from what made the first 4 GTA games so much fun i.e. fast and furious city based action.
Post Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:44 am
cptmaxon
High Emperor
High Emperor

I disagree , I liked the stats, I also liked the fact that while the hero is a stone cold killa gangbanger, he still won't touch drugs and his entire war is against those dirty drug dealers , much better then liberty city I thought, but yes more property based missions would have been great...
however, I think it stands the trial of an RPG, you change the world (less drugs) there's no epic good or evil but who cares?, you got a huge world to practically do as you please, you can even make money out of being a racer and not do the missions(of course there's not much point)...
I also liked that some missions are stat specific, and I found out they really make a difference , so basically I think it pretty much covers as being almost an RPG with a feel of an action game.. or a hybrid as some of you said.

I'm of course not saying it rate high as an RPG , I would compare it to Fable seems to me they are alike in many ways.., I would have never compared it to true classic CRPGS like fallout or BG
Post Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:16 am
Dhruin

I'm with Bjon045 - I liked Vice City better. But perhaps that's just my age showing and I preferred the '80s soundtrack and theme to hiphop, rap and gang-stars.
Post Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:35 pm
THX1138
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

One of my favorite things to do in GTA:SA is just get on a chopper, or take a jet and just go exploring, and take in the fantastic scenery. I loved doing this in Gothic II as well, just no chopper;)
In terms of exploration I absolutely consider GTA:SA to have the feel of an RPG.
That you can manage your diet and or workout to change your physique from tubby to ripped and all things in between, is entertaining, but probably the most rpg like aspect is changing your clothes and appearance.
I did this like crazy in Morrowind, and every MMORPG that I've played. I would just go nuts for different outfits.
The stats are fun but pretty much superficial. I enjoyed most of the mini games except for the dating stuff. I only took one(Denise) I would cringe whenever I was in the Ganton area and my cell phone would ring. Leave me alone Beaatch!! Although Catalina was a total riot!

All in all I cannot say GTA:SA is a true rpg, but it definately does it better than some games that are actually trying to be an RPG, and I will say it is up there as one of my favorite games: console PC whatever.
Post Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:07 am
Korplem
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

I play every game like an rpg. Some games, like GTA:SA, just happen to make it a little easier.

-The Prince of Nothing
Post Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:53 pm
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

I have a question for the people that said no. What is the difference between this game and Jade Empire? Besides this game has more to explore. How can this game not be an rpg by todays standards? If it was a fantasy medieval city instead of modern day city would it be an rpg? Why are BG: DA's rpgs, D&D heroes an rpg, etc., but this isn't. If anything it is more of an rpg.
Post Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:29 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

While I havent played this incarnation of GTA, I did play thru Vice City and loved it. I once suggested that it was akin to an RPG, I definitely was into my role as Tommy Vercetti.
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:04 pm
abbaon
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Which classic RPG features did it leave out? It has a large, varied game world to explore, an inventory, a party, stats, a main quest, side quests, random encounters, inane exchanges with passers-by... I can think of character generation and dialog trees, but even such vaunted RPGs as Thief and System Shock got by without those.
Post Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:07 am
Role-Player
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

In what way are Thief and System Shock RPGs?
Post Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:19 pm
abbaon
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Hell if I know. I don't mean to argue with anyone else's classification decisions, or defend my own. Without an authority to turn to like the Dewey schedules, no-one can claim to have a correct definition of an RPG. I just wanted to point out that it probably meets more of your criteria than you might realise.
Post Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:17 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next