View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Adventure Games

Author Thread
Navaros
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Nocturne = Best Adventure Game Ever

anyone else played it?

i guess you'd have to like horror games to enjoy it; as long as you like horror games - you can't go wrong with Nocturne.

this is the most compelling adventure game i've ever played. near-perfect story, near-perfect gameplay: plus absolutely perfect atmosphere

hopefully there are some more diehard Nocturne fanboys on this site. it really is one of the best games ever made and it's a shame it didn't sell 100 Million copies since it's better than almost 100% of any other games to be released after it.
Post Fri Apr 23, 2004 2:46 pm
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

Never heard of it. Where is some info or website for it? When was it released?
Post Sun Apr 25, 2004 2:43 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Afaik Nocturne is an action-adventure, not an adventure. Different genre.
Reviews were pretty positive.
Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 11:31 am
Navaros
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

it was released in 1999. unfortunately there are not many sites left about it on the Internet

GameSpy gave Nocturne a 94% in it's Review but unfortunately GameSpy is trying to "erase from history" any evidence of their %-based score system to try to fool people into thinking they've used the retarded new "stars" score system from day 1: hence the link to that Review is now gone.

here is a link to the Adrenaline Vault Review which gave it 4 out of 5 stars:

http://www.avault.com/reviews/review_temp.asp?game=nocturne

...and a page of good screenshots following that Review:

http://www.avault.com/reviews/review_temp.asp?game=nocturne&page=4

here is a link to the Official site. unfortunately this site has not been touched in years and many of the links are broken :

http://www.nocturnegame.com

there are two playable demos for the game which can be downloaded from FilePlanet at this link: http://www.fileplanet.com/search.aspx?q=nocturne

yes it is an Action/Adventure game rather than a straight adventure game but the emphasis is on atmosphere & exploring rather than how fast you can hit the FIRE button so i'd say it's more of an adventure than an action game.

EDIT: some goods news, after much digging i found the GameSpy 94% Review:

http://archive.gamespy.com/legacy/reviews/nocturne_a.shtm

Note these comments from that Review:

..." Screenshots simply do not do the game justice, as the realtime lighting and volumetric atmosphere effects add a great deal of depth that's not captured in individual still frames. Trust me, the first time you move in front of a flickering torch and watch your shadow expand out across the wall, or better yet see an enemy shadow flit by behind you and nearly have a heart attack, you'll understand."

These comments are quite true. You can't really grasp the awe of the game unless you actually play it. Screenshots truly do not do it justice.
Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 2:26 pm
Ovädershimmel
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Yeah, it was very good. The Blair Witch games which came after Nocturne was decent but not as good, built on the same engine / concept.
Post Sat May 08, 2004 10:44 pm
Navaros
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Ovädershimmel
Yeah, it was very good. The Blair Witch games which came after Nocturne was decent but not as good, built on the same engine / concept.

that is because only the first Blair Witch game, volume 1 Rustin Parr, was made by the Nocturne devs

the other 2 just licensed the engine, and were made by other devs. that is why they were not so good.
Post Sun May 23, 2004 7:26 am
Dragons_Pet
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

If you havent learned about Nocturne you better learn quick! Its the #1 action/adventure title out there. Rock On Yo, AND ALWAYS PLAY Nocturne WHENEVER POSSIBLE!!!
Post Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:43 am