Sisters of Edurneum Outpost - Snake Women Attack on Sight
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Arx Fatalis

Author Thread
Rebooter
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Sisters of Edurneum Outpost - Snake Women Attack on Sight

I've been following the walkthrough and everything has been going fine, but now when I get to the part where I'm supposed to get the Zohark from the snake women on level 6, instead of letting me go to see 'Mother Zalnashh', then snake woman at the entrance attacks me, then all of the others join in the attack, inlcuding what appears to be the leader who's supposed to let me have the Zohark. I don't see what I could have done to cause this to happen. Is there something else I'm supposed to have done, or maybe something I did wrong earlier in the game without realizing it? I think a while back I found a secret back entrance to the snake women outpost. I could have sworn I reloaded a game from before where I went in when it seemed apparent I was too weak at that point to have to fight them all, but if not then maybe that's it? Will this make it impossible to finish now?

Also, after you give the Shield of the Elder to the Rebel Leader, it seems you can go back later to the same chest that the Krahoz was in and there's the Shield of the Elder. I took it and the guards didn't react, neither did the rebel leader. Is it ok to take it? I have a save just before taking it if not...

I feel sick now, I think my game is ruined.
Post Wed Jan 22, 2003 7:17 pm
k'tav
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

don't worry, u can finish the game, i did. i also had to kill all the snakes because i came through the back door and they attacked me...
Post Wed Jan 22, 2003 8:25 pm
NSNightStalker
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Did you use the secret entrance from the Twin Traders?

If you used the secret entrance and took the items from those chests then that might be the reason they are attacking you.
Post Wed Jan 22, 2003 10:56 pm
Jung
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

I had to kill all those snake ladies too, but it worries me. I read somewhere that they are supposed to be friendly.
Post Wed Jan 22, 2003 11:09 pm
Kris
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

They attacked me too (after I arrived via a tunnel into their treasure room).

However, I reloaded and cast invisibility (actually I think I drank a potion) and ran through the main room into the corridor that leads to the Temple of Illusions.

After the invisibility wore off I was able to simply walk back in and talk to them.

Perhaps their initial hostility was due to the sudden arrival of a stranger in their store room, plus the fact that I triggered the trap as I crawled in??

It might also be possible to sneak quickly into the teleport room next door, activate it, and then use it to leave and then arrive again. I didn't try this, so I'm not sure whether they would be less aggressive if you seem to arrive via the teleporter rather than through their deliberately trapped treasure room??
Post Wed Jan 22, 2003 11:52 pm
RAVENAL
Village Leader
Village Leader

back entrance to Sisters outpost

Rebooter...it's unclear from your post if your now using the secret back entrance or the front entrance...I too first used the back entrance got killed and reloaded a savegame...later I entered the front way and no problems with the snake women...have you got the Karhoz?...and did you try talking to the first snake woman you met?...sometimes you have to reload and try talking again...I've read of this in the forums...but have not experienced it myself in this instance...good luck...don't worry about finishing the game you can kill everyone and still finish...although a somewhat abbreviated version...and talk to Achromatic Luminary about the Sheild of the Elder thing...he's been doing some interesting tests with FEDEX quests...and Merz too...he's extremely knowledgable along these lines...you can read it in the forum under" XP bug?" I think the title is...
Kris ...an interesting strategy...

THE TAROT
Post Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:41 am
Rebooter
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Re: back entrance to Sisters outpost

quote:
Originally posted by RAVENAL
Rebooter...it's unclear from your post if your now using the secret back entrance or the front entrance...I too first used the back entrance got killed and reloaded a savegame...later I entered the front way and no problems with the snake women...have you got the Karhoz?...and

I think now that what must have happened is that I found the secret back entrance (where you have to jump up on the platforms around the wall to get to it) and I must have taken some items then high-tailed it outta there when they started attacking. At the time I just thought the snake women were supposed to be hostile if you went there at all, so I didn't think much of it. It's been several weeks since this happened because I sometimes will go for a few days or a week without playing, so I don't fully remember.

I do have the Krahoz... I'd really like to keep the Shield of the Elder as it has a 30% protect from magic I believe, and that would help if I have to try to butcher the snake women.

If only they could find it in their hearts to forgive me. I have indeed tried several times to talk to the first snake woman at the 'front' entrance, but she immediately informs me that I must pay for what I have done, and starts hurling magic at me. I think the only way is to try to take them out as few at a time as possible, or they swarm all over me.

I will try the suggestion of trying to sneak in, but the invisibility wears off pretty fast, so I don't think I can make it.

I'm guessing I will be losing some XP too. I really need some more side quests to build up some more. I had tried to rob the bank in the human city, but this ended with me having to kill everyone, including the King, so I reloaded and gave up on that. I think the only way to even try to rob the bank is if you can get into Gary's house, but I've never seen him leave the bank, and my character can never lockpick ANYTHING..."It's too complicated for me." "I think I've damaged my tools..."

BTW has anyone been using the keyring you can buy at the shop of Shany's mother? I didn't realize it was there, but it's very handy. You can put all keys on it and not have to try 20 diffrent keys, just use the keyring. You have to drop the keyring, then doubleclick the key, then click the keyring and it adds it.
Post Thu Jan 23, 2003 9:12 am
Achromatic Luminary
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Storage room

If the sisters catch you in the storage room, they'll attack and continue to attack you when you come back. If you leave unseen you should be ok. That's something I'll try myself here tonight. It's just like stealing Krahoz. If you set off the alarm bell or get caught, all the rebels attack you. But if you go unseen, then eveyone still likes/puts-up-with you. The one thing I don't know is if you just 'appear' whether or not the sisters will have a fit. If they do, then reload and try going to the teleport and then come back by it and see if they react ok. As far as using the shield after you steal it. Just make sure you don't get CAUGHT stealing. If you do every one on the level will attack you.
Post Thu Jan 23, 2003 4:54 pm
NSNightStalker
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Reply and Lockpicking Tips

I think they will only attack you if you actually take an item from the chests or if they see you in the storage room. The Water Trolls attacked me when I took some fish and a pole from their camp fire area. They did not see me when I did this because they were fishing, but when I went to talk to them again, they attacked me. Either they noticed the items missing or somehow saw that I had them.

If you hear the message, "I think I damaged my tools.", that means that you are able to pick the lock, but it might take several attampts. If you hear, " I can't do that.", that means you don't have enough technical skill to pick the lock. If you don't want to damage your tools trying to open the lock after hearing the damaged tools message then use Bless before trying to lockpick. Do so will dramatically decrease the chance of damaging your tools and it will also decrease the number of attempts needed to pick the lock. I will assemble a table of the Technical Skills rating and what type of locks can be picked at what rating when I reach 100 Technical skill. Right now I have 60 Technical Skill.
Post Thu Jan 23, 2003 9:42 pm
Red
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Upi don't need to drop the keyring. I just double clikc the key (or is it press F?) and "use" the key on the keyring (in my iventory) and poof, it's added itself to it.

I'm wondering how come people find the interface so hard... The only problem I had was using the backpack and that took me only a minute or so to figure out...
Post Fri Jan 24, 2003 2:41 am
Future Engineer
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Snake Women are a bunch o' idiots

Very, and I mean very early in the game (teleporters weren't working, I'd never even heard of snake women), I stumbled across the hidden storage room of the snake women. I looted all I could (couldn't pick all the chests, not to mention disarming them), and tried to go through the door... Everyone was all over my ass, and pretty soon I lay dead on the outpost floor...

After a quickload, I went in again, stole everything I could, drank an invisibility potion and went through the door... This time I tried to run as fast as I could while I was still unseen, but I panicked... The invisibility wore off, and I waited for the massacre to begin again. But it didn't, every worm was quite complacent, it seemed, so I explored the outpost a bit.

As it happens, I went in and addressed the Queen. When the cutscene started to roll, realizing that I may have stumbled across a spoiler, I shut my speakers and pounded ESC

IMHO, that is a HUGE flaw in gameplay. Getting Zohark at that point of the game probably would have screwed everything up, big time.
Post Fri Jan 24, 2003 7:50 am
Rebooter
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Re: Snake Women are a bunch o' idiots

quote:
Originally posted by Future Engineer
As it happens, I went in and addressed the Queen. When the cutscene started to roll, realizing that I may have stumbled across a spoiler, I shut my speakers and pounded ESC

IMHO, that is a HUGE flaw in gameplay. Getting Zohark at that point of the game probably would have screwed everything up, big time.

In the walkthrough it says something to the effect that a snake woman will tell 'about the Koltk weapon and the dragon egg you also need for the incantation' as well as about enchanting items, when you go to get the book about the ultimate weapon, but since I had to kill them all, I guess I miss out on that and other 'snake woman' cut-scene info. Did they give more info than what is in the book?

I took the book about the ultimate weapon after I killed all the snake women. Later, the snake woman in the library will tell you she doesn't have that book and you need to get it from the snake women's outpost, so I just dropped the book and picked it up again and this generated a log entry in my journal that I now had the book. Sometimes if you don't do things in just the right order or you have to kill certain characters, you miss out on important stuff. It's also possible to miss getting items into your inventory because a cust-scene will happen right when you pick the item up and it gets dropped, or if all inventory slots are full it will be dropped. This happened when Alia gave the 'special key' to get in and out of the Rebel Outpost, I heard it drop to the ground when it said 'Inventory Updated', but I could never find it on the floor, so I had to reload and free up some space, then I was able to get it.

There's no way I could figure this game out without a walkthrough. It often just sort of drops you with no idea as to what you need to do. But it's still really a great game.
Post Fri Jan 24, 2003 10:05 am
Rebooter
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Red
Upi don't need to drop the keyring. I just double clikc the key (or is it press F?) and "use" the key on the keyring (in my iventory) and poof, it's added itself to it.

I'm wondering how come people find the interface so hard... The only problem I had was using the backpack and that took me only a minute or so to figure out...

I had tried just 'using' the key and putting it on the keyring in my inventory, but it never seemed to work. I'll have to try it again...
Post Fri Jan 24, 2003 10:08 am
Future Engineer
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

shouldn't be a problem

Nope, they have no additional information regarding the ultimate weapon.
Besides, it seems that you don't need them snake women for anything, really... because you can enchant the ultimate weapon yourself, so there you go.... Well, go! Enchant, I say.
Post Fri Jan 24, 2003 10:11 am
Rebooter
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Re: Reply and Lockpicking Tips

quote:
Originally posted by NSNightStalker
If you hear the message, "I think I damaged my tools.", that means that you are able to pick the lock, but it might take several attampts. If you hear, " I can't do that.", that means you don't have enough technical skill

Ok, so as long as he doesn't say 'I can't do that' it's just an unsuccesful attempt. Now, if the tools are damaged, does that mean they are no good to use, or just now very low quality and even less likely to work?
Post Fri Jan 24, 2003 10:14 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next