Sid Meir At GenCon - Q&A @ GameSpy
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Kristophe
Obi-Wan Kermobi
Obi-Wan Kermobi

Sid Meir At GenCon - Q&A @ GameSpy

GameSpy's Allen "Delsyn" Rausch delivers his highly interesting and intrinisc <a href="http://xbox.gamespy.com/xbox/pirates-/644806p1.html" target="_blank">interview</a> with Sid Meier during GenCon 2005 (held in Indianapolis, Indiana)... <br> <br><blockquote><em>GameSpy: What are you working on next? <br>Sid Meier: (smiles) You know I can't tell you. I will say that I'm working on two things, though. If everything goes right, you should see them in '06 and '07. <br>GameSpy: You're kind of in a rarified group of developers who are allowed to just roam free and work on whatever interests you. Sometimes it's history, which resulted in things like Civilization, sometimes it's pirates, once it was even golf. How do you think that contributes to the quality of your games? <br>Sid Meier: In many ways, video games are about exploration and discovery. All of my games are based on stuff I was interested in at the time. You mentioned pirates, and golf… <br></em></blockquote>
Post Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:31 pm

Just trying to be constructive:

Neither this, nor the 'Easter Eggs in games' article, are items related to RPGs. Sid Meier does not make RPGs (don't quite know why Pirates has been covered on this site so much).

Posting a lot of this kind of thing will turn this site into a generic game news site, and that's probably not a good idea.....
Post Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:35 pm

yeesh
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I'll have to go to my local library to research the question of whether RPGs have ever contained Easter Eggs (that's a real toughie), but in the interim I'd be interested in hearing the definition of role-playing game you use that fails to include an open-ended game in which you create and play the role of a pirate. Let's hear what an RPG is so that we can understand why any particular game isn't one. I have my own thoughts on the matter, but I'm just some punk.
Post Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:13 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Don't start that again!
Post Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:51 pm
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

Hehe... "What is an RPG?" seems to be quite the popular topic around here lately .

@ yeesh: Many, many games have "easter eggs" and RPGs are no exception. I'm personally not an easter egg freak and have never loaded up a save to check them out but from the top of my mind I can tell you that Divine Divinity had at least one (basically impossible to figure out on your own... a dev/designer revealed how to access the easter egg area at the official forums) and some of the older M&M's had them, too (in M&M VII for example, you were able to check out the NWC offices via a hidden in-game area ).

Finally, we (at least) attempted to justify our Pirates coverage -when we added the game to our database- in this post:
http://www.rpgdot.com/index.php?hsaction=10077&newsid=33999
Post Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:09 pm
Kristophe
Obi-Wan Kermobi
Obi-Wan Kermobi

Hmmm...well let us examine the gist of your debate, guest - even though I am normally loath to bother discussing anything with anyone who hasn't the courtesy (or the courage) to identify himself/herself.

First and foremost - whether you agree or not, powers higher than myself here determined that Sid Meier's Pirates would be covered as a part of normal RPGDot reporting. End of story!!

Insofar as your complaint about the "easter Egg" story being out of place - I presume then that you also consider that Diablo II/Warcraft: Orcs & Humans/Warcraft II, et al are NOT RPG's in any way, shape, or form?? I could also presume then that you do not consider WoW to be a true MMORPG either?

Yeesh - a lot of RPG's have included "Easter Eggs" - just take a look at Planescape Torment, or even Ascaron's Sacred, et al once again:-)
Post Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:09 pm
bjon045
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

quote:
Originally posted by Kristophe
I presume then that you also consider that Diablo II/Warcraft: Orcs & Humans/Warcraft II, et al are NOT RPG's in any way, shape, or form??

Of course they aren't. Someone might be able to convince me DiabloII is but definately not the warcraft I-III games.
Post Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:03 pm