Mourning And MMORPG.com Get In The Ring
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

Mourning And MMORPG.com Get In The Ring

Whoa, thought I'd check the 'Mourning' forums for a development/beta update and instead found this. MMORPG.com have delisted 'Mourning' from their list of games, shut down their 'Mourning' forums and have <a href="http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion.cfm/setstart/1/loadthread/36367/loadforum/510/loadclass/35" target="_blanK">announced</a> to no longer cover 'Mourning' at their site. How come?
<br>
<br>Well, it looks like the 'Mourning' dev team was not exactly pleased with how the community at MMORPG.com behaved and -in the end- massively threatened MMORPG.com to take action. One has to be careful with any information that has been posted but it is rumored that they went as far as demanding that MMORPG.com reveals user information so they could ban these users from their own official forums and also exclude those people from beta.
<br>
<br>The 'Mourning' staff then went ahead and claimed that they actually requested from MMORPG.com to remove everything 'Mourning' from the site.
<br>
<br>MMORPG.com responded to this claim by saying that they have all the evidence to prove that the 'Mourning' staff has never requested anything like that but they have not (yet) made that evidence public.
<br>
<br>Whatever is going on here, it sounds like the 'Mourning' team might want to reevaluate their public relations activities one of these days... oh, and their community relations as well as is evidenced by this post <a href="http://www.realmsoftorment.net/forums/showthread.php3?s=d0fe1ebe83326be41b8fcf7aab0ce528&threadid=18350" target="_blank">here</a> . Also, one of the developers made this rather amusing <a href="http://www.realmsoftorment.net/forums/showthread.php3?s=d0fe1ebe83326be41b8fcf7aab0ce528&threadid=18318" target="_blanK">post</a> at their forums today to explain the team's situation. Laying blame on the people with the money is always a good idea for sure. Here's a snip...<blockquote><em>So far LHE funded the game with around 95% of the money and the rest of 5% has been funded by me during time. Basically LHE can do whatever they want with the game, the code and everything. You must be aware of the fact the LHE is not a common publisher since they do not have any facilities to get the game in stores. In fact there are small chances that during the next 3 months to have the game on the shelves. But you must be aware that Dave ('the retard' 'moron' or whatever you want) spend an enormous amount of money from his own poket or from some other bussiness he may have to develop this game. I personally think that after he spent so much money he can be a little arogant.
<br>
<br>I know that he is a pain in the ass sometimes and he pisses me off more often but in the end what it matters is that because of this man Mourning today is close to release. From what I know it is the only case in the industry when a MMO is financed by one person (since he is the only one in LHE) and it gets to the shelves. There is no group of investors, no one bought stocks into our company, we do not need to return no money to anybody, nobody can force us to develop the game as they want. All we need is to get the game in a playable state.</em></blockquote>
Post Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:01 am
rackrmnn

Just wanted to clear up, the quoted post here was done a few days ago in response to an attack on the publisher by one of the game's moderators. If anything, the poster was defending the guy with the money.

Mourning's PR is pathetic. But I at least am still following the game because on the slim chance that it does deliver, it will be what I have waited for for years.
Post Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:04 am

methusala
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Under another name,I was involved with ROT,as it was then called,from the beginning.I was in the first beta tests way back then and after about a year I left because I couldn`t stomach the dictator-like way the lead dev,ado,was treating people.To put it plainly,he`s an asshole, and as I see,He is reaping the rewards.Kharma is a beautiful thing and what goes around, comes around.The game will crash and burn and,I hope ado along with it.His favorite thing on his forums is to ban people and one of his favorite sayings was something stupid like "if you don`t like it,go play in the woods"..I told you he was an idiot...Well ado..if you don't like the way people are now treating you`re game...""if you don`t like it,go play in the woods.
Post Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:15 am
Slachkey
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Ahhh, I remember when they tried to sue somethingawful.com a few months ago and Lowtax made them look like the biggest dipsh*ts. When they figured out that somethingawful would not bow down to them they quickly called off the suit and tried to save face. Well, it sounds like they just keep pissing people off and when you're in the business of making video games the last thing you want to do is piss off most of your player base.
Post Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:48 pm
Justliketherest

You think it's ok for a game site that's supposed to bring the news about new mmo's to fans is supposed to slander or allow slander towards game companies? So by Mourning defending themselves they are wrong?

Pathetic.

Get your crap strait and at least look lilke you half ass understand whats going on.

You people make me sick
Post Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:15 am

methusala
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

I see one of the last five Mourning fanboys has come out of mourning to grace us with his wit and charm.I think its okay for a game site to tell the truth and not allow itself to be manipulated by any game developer or publisher.
Post Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:18 am

Why on earth does Mourning need mmorpg.com? They don't. If their game is getting slandered on their forums they have a right to ask them to remove it. mmorpg.com is a site that claims to cover all mmo games. With this move that claim is no longer valid and it hurts their credibility as to whether they really cover all mmo's or just the ones they like.

The people who visit that fansite are an incredibly small portion of the total mmo playerbase. This is a drop in the bucket and won't effect Mourning at all.
Post Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:53 pm

Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

quote:
Originally posted by Justliketherest
You think it's ok for a game site that's supposed to bring the news about new mmo's to fans is supposed to slander or allow slander towards game companies? So by Mourning defending themselves they are wrong?

Pathetic.

Get your crap strait and at least look lilke you half ass understand whats going on.

You people make me sick

There's nothing even remotely slanderous in our news post. As far as "at least look lilke you half ass understand whats going on", you could have taken the opportunity yourself to post something informative about the situation, but did not. The Mourning developers are likewise welcome to post their point of view.

Were it not for the fact that the Mourning site has such infrequent updates (March 7th, then Dec 15th -- both screenshots only), our editor might not have gone digging for more information to start with.

So, do you have a point of view to state or did you just want to vent your anger at someone?
Post Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:54 am

quote:
Originally posted by Justliketherest

Pathetic.

You people make me sick

These kind of posts are pathetic. The poster sounds like an upset kid who will try to blame everyone except himself for his failure.

The company should work on their customer relationship skills instead.
Post Sat Mar 26, 2005 5:33 pm

It's funny how a lot of people like some who posted here have NFI about what acctually happened. Mourning DID NOT ask to be removed, they abused the MMORPG.com staff via emails and as a result they removed the game. Mourning is shit and is run by people with no PR skills congrats to them on wasting so much money and time on something thats doomed to fail /golf clap.
Post Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:04 pm

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
It's funny how a lot of people like some who posted here have NFI about what acctually happened. Mourning DID NOT ask to be removed, they abused the MMORPG.com staff via emails and as a result they removed the game. Mourning is shit and is run by people with no PR skills congrats to them on wasting so much money and time on something thats doomed to fail /golf clap.

Pot... Meet Mr. Keetle.
As for what really happened... The Mourning sub forums at mmorpg.com had slowly, over time, become the place where all the guys banned from the official Mourning forum (for a reason or another) were gathering. In that forum, you could find absolutely nothing but constant bashing of the game, direct insults thrown at the developpers and the whole team. Anyone who tried to counter this agressivity was immediately disregarded by these guys as being a fanboy (look what we have here - Methusala doing exactly that. Now imagine that in every single threads) - most often flamed till he left the forums.
Absolutely nothing positive ever came from these forums... It was to the point that some of these flamers were creating accounts to impersonate the Mourning developpers in there, just to bash them some more in return.
Another example claiming that he had a proof that a friend's bank account had been debited of 800$ after he had subscribed to the preorder offer for Mourning (as a reminder, absolutely nothing has been charged so far for the preorder offer).

So that is the state the forums were in. All this of course without the mmorpg.com moderators doing anything about it (while in all of their other forums, they have a no-flame, no-impersonating policy...).

Some of the devs for Mourning had already asked that more moderation was brought to that forum, asking that the impersonation stops and that the flames should be moderated just like they were in any of their other forums. Apparently, these messages fell on death ears.
So the situation kept on degenerating... until the example I mentioned above where a guy claimed he had proof he had been scammed by Mourning. Egomancer, project manager for Mourning, came on those forums and denied this accusation of scam. The guy continued with his accusations. Egomancer then threatened him with a lawsuit if he kept going on (I fully admit I consider this a bad move PR-wise, even if it has some legal ground). He then contacted the mmorpg.com team 'friendly' (ie without a legal warrent) to get the accuser's real name. Mmorpg.com refused to give it away (which is their right). [just for the record, in the mean time, the guy had withdrawn his accusations of scam, talking about an error on his part] Some words were exchanged, the situation degenerated (some Mourning dev apparently saying that the mourning forum on mmorpg was BS, the mmorpg.com team taking that as a personal insult, etc etc), until the mmorpg.com took the decision to remove Mourning from its game list. They informed the Mourning dev team, who answered with a "go for it".
End of the story.

That was for who it may interest (ie not the likes of Methusala, who are on a personal vendetta against Mourning).
Post Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:14 pm

methusala
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Yeah you're right.the people developing and publishing Mourning are as pure as the driven snow.As for me having a personal vendetta against them,you're right again.I hate people who,when given abit of power over others,abuse that power.
Post Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:49 am