Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Please help with question, almost out of hair to pull out!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Oblivion - General

Author Thread
Lostnumber
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Please help with question, almost out of hair to pull out!

I think that I might have originally posted this in the wrong forum; I really hope that I don't upset someone. But I have to know the answer!! The magic system in Morrowind was somewhat of a let down. The spells never really seemed to get any stronger. Maybe they got a little bigger in radius but every fire on target spell looked the same. Can we shoot jets of flames from our fingers now, can we call lightning from the skies, and can we fire shards of ice at our foes? Or are we doomed to cast the same fireball over and over again only to have the numbers change behind the scenes as we get "new" spells? Well anyways please read below and let me know, I would be very grateful for an honest answer. I have tried searching everywhere possible to find an answer, but to no avail.

The below is a post from another forum, sorry mods please don't get mad!

Sorry for the overcharged subject line but I just have to know, are all spell visual effects the same according to their effect and statistics? Does flare look just like fire lance? Or are there more impressive effects as a magika user progresses. I am thinking of starting the game over as a mage character. The idea of calling down a rain of fire on a bunch of people who are out to kill me gets me a little excited; the idea of playing for days to obtain a mysterious and powerful spell just to find out that only the numbers behind the scene change is somewhat deflating. I know that this might agitate a few of the older hardcore gamers but I have to admit that I am a sucker for highly detailed effects and models. I like to covet every shiny object I can find in a game, I hope that every cave contains some piece of awesome looking armor, and a new menacing looking sword just screams look-out to everyone who meets it's business end. I am not going to get into the importance of graphical quality and novelty effects. I just want to know; does every fire/frost/shock on target spell look just like the other? I sure hope not.
Post Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:23 pm
Lostnumber
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Magic mods / hopes for future ES games.

I am going to be somewhat of a dork here and post a reply to my own message. I don't want to open another thread seeing as how I got a little spam happy about a week ago and opened one too many. The point of this comment is to bring TESIV's magic graphical FX into discussion.

As you can tell from the initial post I was a bit concerned and am now a bit disappointed with oblivion's spell special effects and choices. I am in love with the intricate LOD the devs have applied to the countryside, the character models are very well done, weapons and armor are beautiful, as far as graphics and detail go Oblivion is top notch. I was even impressed with the first fireball I accidentally cast. Foosh! A blast from my hand sends a flaming rat into the air right before me! When I first saw this I had very high hopes for being a mage. However, a couple spell upgrades later found me a little let down. I can drop a bandit in one hit with my "blazing spear" (or something to that tune) spell but aside from the springy flaming body I have seen many times before I am not impressed. Honestly after casting the same tiny fireball over and over again I get somewhat bored. Stronger weapons and armor look great, we get a visual pay off there; why not here? Really, if the devs didn't think that aesthetics where important why would they go as far as they have graphically, and add in a vanity camera option on top of it all? Bigger explosions and larger fire and ice balls are great but I want more, who wouldn't? I want balls of lightning, chain lightning, called lightning, earth quakes, shards or rock, shards of ice, freezing spells and shattered foes, fireballs, fire fields, flaming skulls, impaling spikes, grasping vines, multiple fireballs, flaming swords, and any thing else that is creative and feasible. I know that the game engine does not allow for some of these spells, but I don't think anyone could convince me that none of the above suggestions are possible. I would pay money to beef up oblivions spell system, and I don't think that anyone out there would bat an eye at the idea of improving Oblivions magic system. If we cant add it here fine, lets keep it in mind for the installment. If we can though, why not make an already awesome product even better?

Please add your comments and ideas. Got a spell in mind that you think would go great in Oblivion? Let me know! Working on a mod to add something in? Then I want it. I love this game, but I can't think of any reason why its anemic spell array shouldn't be improved.

P.S. If for some strange reason someone from Beth reads this: Thanks for a great game; lets give the magic system a shot in the arm. To the purveyors of this site: Thank you for enabling and deepening my addition to computer games, it beats the hell out of drinking and wasting money.
Post Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:22 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

I'm playing a Crusader, which gives me restorative and destruction magic, and from what I've seen thus far, the graphical effects for both have been a bit tame. The restoration effects that Ive seen thus far merely make me glow for a few moments.
The entry-level fireball I've been throwing around is pretty impressive as far as fireballs go, but it doesnt seem like a big deal. Especially when you remember the awesome fireballs from say DiabloII, where flames lick up from the ground around your caster, you sort of look like youre drawing fire from the very earth itself, and hurtling it forward. Like I said, I'm still sort of entry-level in the destruction mojo dept, have been concentrating more on keeping myself alive with the restoration, but I plan on going destruction-happy this weekend.

Spells Id like to see? Well, as long as I'm talking Diablo, I can say that I've always wanted to see a Flame Wave spell from a FPS view. I think that would be an incredible spell to see cast on encroaching multiple foes. Meteor shower, Holy Bolt would also be great, but that flame wave would definitely be my #1 request.
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:11 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

I'd have commented previously but I'm not playing a magic-based character.
Post Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:36 pm
Lostnumber
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Already, a great idea

Now that would be something, flame wall from a first person perspective. I can almost smell the flaming goblins now yum. I almost know that the folks a Beth thought about this, I wonder why they felt the need to omit such a spell. I wonder, would be possible to create a mod to add some of the spells discussed above; perhaps someone here smarter than I would know?

I suppose a good juxtaposition would be between Dark Messiah and Oblivion. Even though I haven't played Dark Messiah I can tell you that the magic system in that game has already garnered one sale for sure. Some of the SS show how the PC casts spells, hand gestures, local effects on the PC, and final effects on the NPC. It all seems to be very detailed and well thought out. Oblivion on the other hand doesn't seem to have any progression or visual pay off, just a bunch of numbers hidden behind the same graphical effect. Maybe I am missing something in the game, I sure hope I am. But something tells me I am not; I mean Morrowind had the same problem. I truly hope that something is done about this, if not in this game then at least the next iteration of TES.

By the way, with the hopes that someone of import sees this please continue to post why you would like to see in oblivion or a future TES game. No irate comments please (unless its necessary), it's bad enough on the official forums. Sorry for sounding like such a huge nerd, I really like this game and what it to be the best it can be.
Post Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:10 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

No, I agree. I've always been one for flashy spell effects, it's one of the cool benefits of playing a caster in the first place.
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:14 am
Swordplayer
City Guard
City Guard

I have to say that the frost spells are a let down but the shock spells are brill. Fireballs with a high radius and duration are cool since it looks like an explosion which sets enemys on fire but the sound effects for fire are dissapointing.
Post Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:01 pm